• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christensen Modern Precision Rifle

The MPR sure has my attention. How does it compare to a Tikka T3X Tac A1??

They are about the same. The biggest downsides of the Tikka TAC A1 in my honest opinion is the proprietary magazine and the rear stock. The biggest downsize of the MPR is the higher price.

Reactions: FuhQ
Well…. The new rifle from @christensenarms arrived Friday… So, I did the full inspection, made sure everything was torqued properly, scrubbed-out the barrel just to be sure, and re-mounted the XTR-III 5.5-30x56…

I reloaded some handloads based on my last rifle, and ironically, it loved the exact same load. I’m guessing there must be a Velocity node around there that their barrels likes.

It shot MUCH better than the other one.

I shot 5 sight-in shots to zero the scope. Then 4-shot groups. There is an apparent node between 29-30 grains of LeverEvolution with the 115 RDF’s.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 19:57:42.557297.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 20:01:00.547836.jpg
29.5 (with and without my pulled shot - that was me, not the gun)
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 20:04:01.499027.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-08-20 20:04:40.495123.jpg

Needless to say, I’m extremely happy with the customer service, and the replacement rifle, so far. This bodes very well for future load development.

@FuhQ I'm glad I could get you taken care of, even if it took a little time to get some new barrels in 6mm Arc spun up. Thank you for giving me a chance to get some things like this taken care of as I jumped in with Christensen Arms and worked on the customer service level and the Returns and Warranty process. Things are changing here going forward for sure.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy

@FuhQ I'm glad I could get you taken care of, even if it took a little time to get some new barrels in 6mm Arc spun up. Thank you for giving me a chance to get some things like this taken care of as I jumped in with Christensen Arms and worked on the customer service level and the Returns and Warranty process. Things are changing here going forward for sure.

Very respectfully,
Jimmy
Glad I could help with diagnosing an issue that will help others in the future. Sometimes it just takes a seasoned handloader to find a flaw/issue that factory ammo shooters might never notice. But I’m happy it is fixed, and will help other shooters moving forward.

I did notice they extended the throat a little bit (0.005”) than the old original chamber. That will help those of us using long heavy high-BC bullets. So, now I’m able to seat them 0.005” off the lands, and still fit the 29.5 gr. of powder needed to get some good velocities from the 16.5” barrel.

IMG_0660.png

MPR Competition Range Day

So I took the MPR Comp down to the local range to get it sighted in. I had received some HSM 190gr HPBT Match ammo that I decided to try out. The box didn't state what brand of bullets but I assume they are Sierra 190gr Matchkings.

First shot of the day seemed promising, two inches to the right at 100 after bore sighting. But the more I shot the ammo, the more I realized my gun just wasn't a fan of it. As you can see from the best group of them, they just didn't do well.

View attachment 8203838

I was getting a little worried that maybe this rifle suffered from the nefarious CA Accuracy bug.

So I swapped over to something that has never seemed to let me down, Federal Premium 168gr Sierra Matchking. The first group did pretty decent at about 0.6" of an inch. The following groups were about the same. Finally the last five rounds produced the best group of the day. This is five shots, 100 yards, 6-7 seconds between shots.

View attachment 8203837

Range Day Final Thoughts:

The gun shot very well with the ammo it likes. With the Atlas bipod on the front and the sand bag at the rear, it was very comfortable to shoot. The weight of the rifle along with the muzzlebrake made this rifle very tame on the recoil. The trigger will need a little adjusting, seemed a little stiff right out of the box but even then it wasn't too bad. The bolt seemed to be stiffening up by the end of the day when closing, they will just need a clean and a lube. Overall I am very happy with the rifle.

Now, is it worth the extra money over a normal MPR? My 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor MPR rifles both shot extremely well, almost as good as the Comp model. If you're planning on packing the rifle and maybe hunting with it, then the regular MPR with the Carbon barrel or the lighter medium palma contour steel barrel is a better idea. Cost wise, you're paying the same for the Competition model as you are a regular MPR with a Carbon barrel.

View attachment 8203839
Thank you for the review of the competition model. I’ve searched online and YouTube for months and it’s like no one is talking about it. I love my carbon fiber barreled MPR but am looking to pick up this model for PRS style matches.

Thank you for the review of the competition model. I’ve searched online and YouTube for months and it’s like no one is talking about it. I love my carbon fiber barreled MPR but am looking to pick up this model for PRS style matches.

That's why I figured I'd write one, I couldn't find one either.

Reactions: christensenarms
So from my understanding, I am the only one that owns an MPR Competition model in all of Canada. I can't find any record of another one being sold let along anyone even having one in inventory.

So from my understanding, I am the only one that owns an MPR Competition model in all of Canada. I can't find any record of another one being sold let along anyone even having one in inventory.
That’s crazy. How did you end up finding one in Canada?

That’s crazy. How did you end up finding one in Canada?

We are a Christensen Arms dealer and the warranty centre in Canada. I was digging through all our MPR rifles in the back room and one felt way heavier than the others. The box said nothing about it being a "competition" model, just an MPR in a different colour (not the normal black or brown). Upon opening it I realized what it was, talked to the boss, and bought it right then and there.

My mpr was the biggest disappointment in my gun shooting experience . Got one last yr in 300 wm . All over the place . I put a ton of rounds down range trying to figure it out and ended up pissed . May just use the chassis on a build

On a positive note, I finally swapped out the crappy TriggerTech Field 3lbs. triggers from my MPR's tonight, and put TriggerTech Special Flats in them (drops down to 1 lb.) and pulled the screws all the way out. Finally got good light triggers in them, should be able to shoot better groups now.

@christensenarms I would look into using the TT Specials in your higher-end carbon fiber rifles Ridgeline, FFT, MPR, etc... over the 2.5 lbs. Field model triggers. A borderline custom rifle deserves a nice trigger that can go from competition light, to hunting moderate. Just something to think about, since yall are looking for input on improving products. It would save me from having to spend an additional $250 on every rifle I buy, but would only cost yall maybe $10 difference (if that much at the volume of them yall buy?) per rifle to put a better trigger in them.

On a positive note, I finally swapped out the crappy TriggerTech Field 3lbs. triggers from my MPR's tonight, and put TriggerTech Special Flats in them (drops down to 1 lb.) and pulled the screws all the way out. Finally got good light triggers in them, should be able to shoot better groups now.

@christensenarms I would look into using the TT Specials in your higher-end carbon fiber rifles Ridgeline, FFT, MPR, etc... over the 2.5 lbs. Field model triggers. A borderline custom rifle deserves a nice trigger that can go from competition light, to hunting moderate. Just something to think about, since yall are looking for input on improving products. It would save me from having to spend an additional $250 on every rifle I buy, but would only cost yall maybe $10 difference (if that much at the volume of them yall buy?) per rifle to put a better trigger in them.
@FuhQ I agree with you on the trigger. I personally run the Diamond on multiple of my rifles and won't use anything else from TT.

@FuhQ I agree with you on the trigger. I personally run the Diamond on multiple of my rifles and won't use anything else from TT.
I’ve found the Specials are a nice compromise for hunting and most target situations. Dropping down to 1 lbs. is about perfect for all-around use. I really love the Black PVD-coated Special Pro Curved for my hunting rifles, and the Special Flats for chassis builds. Plus, it’s $100 less than the Diamond, and most crossover situations, anything under 1 lbs. Isn’t necessary to still make a solid and accurate shot. If shooting Comps or for groups, definitely the Diamond. 👍🏼

Well... It's not an MPR, but it's a @christensenarms rifle...

I had a chance to do some more load development with my Ridgeline FFT 20" 7mm-08 this past weekend. I have a great load with the Berger 175 Elite Hunters and Varget and it was shooting nearly 1/4 MOA 3-shot groups, but I have not had a chance to do 5-shot groups with that load, so not much to compare with these. But decided to see if the hype was real with Winchester StaBall 6.5 powder and see if I can get the 150+ FPS increase they said would happen at safe pressures over my previous load with Varget.

Well... They weren't messing around... My max safe (and best shooting) load with Varget was 38.0gr and it was 2403 FPS MV. And my max safe (and best shooting) load with StaBall 6.5 was 46.0 grains, and it was 2,614 FPS MV average. That's a gain of 211 FPS MV! 😳 With a 175gr bullet in a 7mm-08 that is ridiculous!

IMG_0808.jpeg

Here's the Varget load...

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-16 17:10:28.998749.jpg

Here's the StaBall 6.5 load 4-shot group it put down. IMO, it's not super impressive, but solid enough to hunt with, no doubt.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-24 15:40:24.662911.jpg

Without the 4th shot flier that I pulled, the 3-shot group is pretty solid…

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-25 23:07:11.266688.jpeg

Last edited:
How are you liking the chassis? Thinking about picking up a chassis for a build
I really like the folding feature on this chassis better than any others I've tried...
It's a lt of screws for disassembly and cleaning, forend flexes a bit but overall it's been a great rifle for my purposes.

Reactions: Gustav7
Hate to hear so many have had trouble with theirs. Mine has been picky about what it likes, but when you find what it likes; it shoots lights out. A few of my most recent groups at 300 and 100 yards.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-07 13_33_23.057808.jpg

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-07 14_09_09.293892.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-07 14_09_09.293892.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 32
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-07 14_17_39.334615.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-10-07 14_17_39.334615.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 34
I just picked up a 300 prc and was very skeptical about what kind of performance to expect after reading about the ups and downs of these rifles but I am happy to report that my rifle is running great, and the accuracy is exceeding my expectations! I'm shooting 0.3 inch groups with Hordady 212 eldx, and 0.6 inch groups with the 225 eldm ammo through a griffin armament explorr suppressor.

IMG_2288.jpeg

8A6CC60A-4A2B-44E5-B939-97D4D3009B4B.jpeg

Damn... That's about $550-600 worth of ammo right there, if they're all full.

Sadly, those 8 boxes of ammo are about 1/10 of the barrel life of the 6.5 PRC in 1 picture. 🤣
for this ammo Now at Local guns store Like ACE Hardware Store is $49.95 a box 20 rounds ( + Tax ) , if I like this rifle I maybe order another carbon barrel from Christensen ( for future when I need to replace new barrel ) , all ammo boxes is full only the one open box is have 12 rounds in it ,

for this ammo Now at Local guns store Like ACE Hardware Store is $49.95 a box 20 rounds ( + Tax ) , if I like this rifle I maybe order another carbon barrel from Christensen ( for future when I need to replace new barrel ) , all ammo boxes is full only the one open box is have 12 rounds in it ,
At my local store it's still like $60-65 a box. But they're always overpriced (everything is sold at MSRP). That's why I buy all my stuff online. It's a good cartridge. I have a buddy who has a Bergara HMR in 6.5 PRC that he got in a trade, and he really likes it.

When I finish my .25 Creedmoor build, I plan on building a 7mm PRC. I already have all the dies and brass for it, just waiting to find the perfect rifle or parts for a build. I hope Aero Precision releases their Solus in a magnum long-action soon. Then I will build off of one of those with a Proof Research 1:8 twist CF barrel. Or, if I can get a good price on a 24" Christensen barrel pre-fit for a Solus action, I'll go that route. I wish CA would start offering prefits for other actions like the Solus/Bighorn/TL3, Defiance, Curtis, etc...

7mm PRC the ammo is hard to get then the 6.5 PRC , last year here all the Gun store can not find any 6.5 PRC ammo :devilish:
But now ( $49.99 ) ~~~~

Last edited:
Mount the Scope and Bipod , the lower rifle is 6.5 Creedmoor 26" barrel light weight setup

tempImagefR1You.jpg

tempImageOHKQU5.jpg

Reactions: ArmedGinger
At my local store it's still like $60-65 a box. But they're always overpriced (everything is sold at MSRP). That's why I buy all my stuff online. It's a good cartridge. I have a buddy who has a Bergara HMR in 6.5 PRC that he got in a trade, and he really likes it.

When I finish my .25 Creedmoor build, I plan on building a 7mm PRC. I already have all the dies and brass for it, just waiting to find the perfect rifle or parts for a build. I hope Aero Precision releases their Solus in a magnum long-action soon. Then I will build off of one of those with a Proof Research 1:8 twist CF barrel. Or, if I can get a good price on a 24" Christensen barrel pre-fit for a Solus action, I'll go that route. I wish CA would start offering prefits for other actions like the Solus/Bighorn/TL3, Defiance, Curtis, etc...
Prefits are something I have been working on!!! I just can't do anything fast enough for you guys!!!:ROFLMAO: Shot Show is coming up quick and the projects we have for that are taking priority right now. We got some new cool stuff for that.

New to this but I agree, and maybe a mag well and magazine instead of bottom metal. A very few bucks difference at your volume.

Does anyone else with a CA carbon barreled 300PRC see pretty significant shift from shot 1 to 2? This is a hunting rifle for me as I bought the Ridgeline in 300 PRC and have replaced the trigger with a nicer TT Primary and I've put it into an XLR Element Magnesium chassis and moved it out of that and it now sits in a Grayboe Trekker stock. In every configuration including factory stock it exhibits the same behavior like clock work. First shot is high right, next two are low left and I can typically get those two rounds within 0.150". It's barely under an inch for the 3 shots but the distance between shots 1 & 2 is what has me concerned. If 1 & 2 behaved like 2 & 3 I don't know that I'd be so concerned. Shot 1 is already on a fouled bore. I am going to maybe go out again at 200 yards this coming weekend and see if I can get a picture of the target to share. I shot it this past weekend and wont be cleaning it before heading out again.

The range I shoot at has really long strings between cease fires so is a blessing when shooting and a curse when I want to go retrieve targets.

Does anyone else with a CA carbon barreled 300PRC see pretty significant shift from shot 1 to 2? This is a hunting rifle for me as I bought the Ridgeline in 300 PRC and have replaced the trigger with a nicer TT Primary and I've put it into an XLR Element Magnesium chassis and moved it out of that and it now sits in a Grayboe Trekker stock. In every configuration including factory stock it exhibits the same behavior like clock work. First shot is high right, next two are low left and I can typically get those two rounds within 0.150". It's barely under an inch for the 3 shots but the distance between shots 1 & 2 is what has me concerned. If 1 & 2 behaved like 2 & 3 I don't know that I'd be so concerned. Shot 1 is already on a fouled bore. I am going to maybe go out again at 200 yards this coming weekend and see if I can get a picture of the target to share. I shot it this past weekend and wont be cleaning it before heading out again.

The range I shoot at has really long strings between cease fires so is a blessing when shooting and a curse when I want to go retrieve targets.
Have a 300wm that did after like 5 or 6 . They are taking care of it now.

How’s it shoot? Been debating on getting one.
Out of the gate with some 62 gr green tips it was having light primer strikes. I switched to a 77 grain and the issue went away. I considered a non-issue, probably hard primers in the 62 grain. Shooting at or just below one Moa but I just consider it a 100 to 300 yd gun. Fun to shoot and super handy. I like it so much I went back to buy the 308 version but Euro optic was all out. Believe they're discontinued now