• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Christmas spirit?

OldSalty2

Just a salty OG liberal.
Minuteman
  • Aug 29, 2020
    Where does one find Christmas to be more than purses and fulfilling some type of self-worth complex by trying to purchase/receive your way to happiness? I have some money, I ain't rich by some standards but I have done pretty well. I also have a lot to be thankful for and feel blessed. But these days it seems all this buying is just to buy, trying to prove how much someone means, or cares...or trying to justify worth, and value.

That somehow it washes away the dirt, at least temporary, until of course the newness wears off. Perhaps I am being overly cynical, and the path to happiness is in the next Amazon package? I am not saying gifts are wrong or whatever, but that Christmas has devolved, even just in my lifetime, to some Uber-marketed, hyped-up spend-fest.

And ya, ya Salty...where you been the last 15 years while fuckers be beating each other over the blue-light special flat screen TV? Idk, maybe it's a culmination of factors, but man...that old Christmas spirit, doesn't seem to shine quite as bright anymore.

For me, Christmas is all about being with the people in your life you care about, and who cares about you the most. Sitting with my GF at home on a day off and reading Harry Potter together like we always do around this time of year, and my mother who had survived a stroke in 2019 also here with us, is all I want and I am thankful.

I have a tradition of spending a chunk of it in the shop... peacefully working with my hands on some project of my own...

At the end of the day, whatever I built (and more importantly the satisfaction I got from it) is the best present of all...

Then making a wicked good dinner... that gets eaten in about 5 minutes.

And none of that 'nasty egg nog!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I get stuff for my wife, all the time. I will still figure out something to get her just for Christmas. We have been married since April 29, 2000 and together as a couple since December 19, 1993. She is my second wife and she is a keeper. I don't worry about the crazy world out there. She nearly died (had a code blue in a hospital) and she came back and I am thankful. I have a newfound appreciation for God.

I used to rail against God, tried to prove it was all a hoax. I was a fool. And someone might think I am foolish for thanking God. Yeah, so I am foolish. I am also really tall and still uncommonly strong for my age and still remember some of the chop sockey I started learning in 1977.

But I understand others can be in a dark place. I cannot make someone be happy. I just know I have been in some deep and dark pits of Hell and I am glad to be here today.

Where does one find Christmas to be more than purses and fulfilling some type of self-worth complex by trying to purchase/receive your way to happiness? I have some money, I ain't rich by some standards but I have done pretty well. I also have a lot to be thankful for and feel blessed. But these days it seems all this buying is just to buy, trying to prove how much someone means, or cares...or trying to justify worth, and value.

That somehow it washes away the dirt, at least temporary, until of course the newness wears off. Perhaps I am being overly cynical, and the path to happiness is in the next Amazon package? I am not saying gifts are wrong or whatever, but that Christmas has devolved, even just in my lifetime, to some Uber-marketed, hyped-up spend-fest.

And ya, ya Salty...where you been the last 15 years while fuckers be beating each other over the blue-light special flat screen TV? Idk, maybe it's a culmination of factors, but man...that old Christmas spirit, doesn't seem to shine quite as bright anymore.
    If you're talking only about the last 15 years, your criticisms are valid going back a lot further than that.

I've got a bunch of years under my belt now. I've found that happiness is a state of mind (that you can directly control) and that it is simply a matter of where you WANT to find it. It's not easy to do, but the best thing to do is to is to put all the negativity aside for as long as possible and just enjoy the simpler aspects of the holidays.

And, you already know this, but money and possessions don't usually buy happiness. Unless, of course, one is not being honest with themselves......

For me, Christmas is all about being with the people in your life you care about, and who cares about you the most. Sitting with my GF at home on a day off and reading Harry Potter together like we always do around this time of year, and my mother who had survived a stroke in 2019 also here with us, is all I want and I am thankful.
    You got yer shit straight. ;)

Merry Christmas BSC ! :)

Last edited:
    I love the holidays all of them not the gifts , nor the store bought crap , but the mamories of getting to see the family and everyone that I was unable to see any other part of the year . Gathering to eat a dinner together oh the fights , snowball or drunken brawls that always ended up with drunks telling each other how much they miss one another just the sort of thing a family should be doing then the lighting of the tree roasting of chestnuts and oh that pumkin pie from an elder aunt that had orange and green balls with fuzzy mold on it lol never going to forget that one . memories of family no longer with us , and stories of Christmas's that have come and gone talking about this new car or that gun . I love them all toys are for little kids . The memories adults hold dear as long as they can . There is no pressure put on anyone it's a holiday tiny kids won't remember what toy they got or didn't get traditions last and mean the most . So merry Christmas to all and god bless .

I love the holidays all of them not the gifts , nor the store bought crap , but the mamories of getting to see the family and everyone that I was unable to see any other part of the year . Gathering to eat a dinner together oh the fights , snowball or drunken brawls that always ended up with drunks telling each other how much they miss one another just the sort of thing a family should be doing then the lighting of the tree roasting of chestnuts and oh that pumkin pie from an elder aunt that had orange and green balls with fuzzy mold on it lol never going to forget that one . memories of family no longer with us , and stories of Christmas's that have come and gone talking about this new car or that gun . I love them all toys are for little kids . The memories adults hold dear as long as they can . There is no pressure put on anyone it's a holiday tiny kids won't remember what toy they got or didn't get traditions last and mean the most . So merry Christmas to all and god bless .
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 'Cuda ! :)

I dont buy shit for christmas....i hate this fucking holiday. Its nothing but bad memories from my childhood. Fuck this holiday. Glad its almost past!
    Finally someone who shares my view, Though Ive mellowed with age.

Its a lie.

Christ said "Love one another."

Reactions: BLEE
    I get stuff for my wife, all the time. I will still figure out something to get her just for Christmas. We have been married since April 29, 2000 and together as a couple since December 19, 1993. She is my second wife and she is a keeper. I don't worry about the crazy world out there. She nearly died (had a code blue in a hospital) and she came back and I am thankful. I have a newfound appreciation for God.

I used to rail against God, tried to prove it was all a hoax. I was a fool. And someone might think I am foolish for thanking God. Yeah, so I am foolish. I am also really tall and still uncommonly strong for my age and still remember some of the chop sockey I started learning in 1977.

But I understand others can be in a dark place. I cannot make someone be happy. I just know I have been in some deep and dark pits of Hell and I am glad to be here today.
    Once you've been to hell your viewpoint tends to change.

Just like thanksgiving I love to spend a good portion of it in the woods with my bow in my hand hunting. Pretty much a tradition for me. Also eat a lot and definitely see what the wife bought me lol.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country

I am of the, if you need it buy it, doesn't require talking about it. Larger, want-type purchases are talked about and planned as needed.

Happy you got out of the dark place, I've seen a few not come back.
    I love the holidays all of them not the gifts , nor the store bought crap , but the mamories of getting to see the family and everyone that I was unable to see any other part of the year . Gathering to eat a dinner together oh the fights , snowball or drunken brawls that always ended up with drunks telling each other how much they miss one another just the sort of thing a family should be doing then the lighting of the tree roasting of chestnuts and oh that pumkin pie from an elder aunt that had orange and green balls with fuzzy mold on it lol never going to forget that one . memories of family no longer with us , and stories of Christmas's that have come and gone talking about this new car or that gun . I love them all toys are for little kids . The memories adults hold dear as long as they can . There is no pressure put on anyone it's a holiday tiny kids won't remember what toy they got or didn't get traditions last and mean the
    most . So merry Christmas to all and god bless .
    I have similar memories but mostly from when I was younger. Almost all of my elders have passed-on. From what was already a smaller family...

But I agree, spending time with loved ones and creating memories, that's part of what it means to me.

Finally someone who shares my view, Though Ive mellowed with age.

Its a lie.

Christ said "Love one another."

I can only imagine, as I was quite fortunate and still am. We forget those who suffer, and don't have the fond memories.

I think a lot of people could reflect a little.

Us kids chipped in and bought the old man a recliner because his is broken and he's too cheap to buy one.

Beyond that I bought my wife some rocks (labradorite and olive opal), and the kids got to go to universal 2x this year so each only got a $30 Lego set.

So that's the entirity of my present buying this year. I'm not a good Hallmark card.

My wife decided we needed to hit up Vegas for the weekend and find some seafood buffets. She's really good at avoiding her family now, as she's realized she worked her way far enough from poverty they view her as rich enough to bum money from.

I made sure my BIL would be taking my Dad goose hunting, and said "fuck it, Vegas is fine".

My sister called and wanted to know what the family was doing. After ignoring us for years she's acting like we're all evil for not having a big family event and it's been hilarious.

So in the end, do whatever the fuck you want that makes you happy. None of our family is doing anything traditional, and I guarantee we will all be just fine.

I don't believe in god, and we stopped with the senseless consumerism when my daughter became a teenager in the late 2000's. She's always gotten what she needed, when she needed it.

My ex does go overboard on "the spirit", and we use it as an excuse to all get together for a nice meal which I mostly prepare. 7lb Tenderloin this year.

Put me in the "hate the fucking 'season'" category. I try to avoid leaving the house after Thanksgiving (which is bad enough) to avoid all that BS.

Christmas was not “celebrated” in America for many generations pre and post revolution. The early colonists considered it a pagan European tradition with trees and elves and such, and for them it was a day of prayer and fasting. It wasn’t even an official Holliday till 1870, 15 years after the Civil War. I love Christmas and all it’s trappings, but it’s about rejoicing that there is a way out of this, and that is the only peace on earth and good will towards men.

Reactions: Ronws
    Here at our house, for many years now we've been on the tangent of:

"Putting Christ back into Christmas"

We do such in very subtle yet distinctive ways. An example is our tree-topper. It is in the shape of a cross. But if you look closely at it, etched into the cross is actually the 'hash-marks of a ranging reticle'.

Amongst other things though too, we primarily use brass casings for decorating the tree. The tree-skirt that My Lady made many years ago, is camo.

It ain't at all about 'buying stuff'. It's how you treat your friends, family, and folks. Be Blessed in the fact that you HAVE friends, family, and folks in your life.

It matters.

I think as we get older the "shine" of all the presents comes off and its more about doing something-anything to celebrate.

DOn't have good memories of Christmas? Make some--pile the fam in the car and go look at christmas lights. Chsitmas eve for me has always been my immediate family (we live a long way from everyone else) so its going to church, singing way to loud on Carols (its supposed to be a HAPPY ocassion), messing around with my candle, eating a PHAT dinner (ok maybe just a special soup or desert) and having cookies, snacks, liquor while presents are opened. Just the 4 of us.

Christmas day I get to torment all my neices and nephews--I try and ask each of them about what they are up to. The food kinda sucks, but I'm there to play games and just be a part of their lives.

Don't limit yourself? Want to give back? Go give back--serve at a shelter (human/animal/other). Take a vacation--even if its to a private cabin with no TV and just a fireplace.

Go fishing/hunting (Holiday Hunt baby!)

I also celebrate Festivus. Yeah its a little cliche, but its my protest against the comercialization of Christmas. I got my little pole up even like a reminder. This year is espeically hard as my son is not hear to pin me for the feats of strength.

@Fig has the way.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    @OldSalty2, maybe you’re a festivus person more than the traditional holidays? You could start the airing of grievances

1671749951664.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Tempest 455
    Holidays….

Attachments

• F4298793-B5CD-4FEE-80EB-E96C57E99570.jpeg
      F4298793-B5CD-4FEE-80EB-E96C57E99570.jpeg
      105.7 KB · Views: 37
    • Angry
    Reactions: Maggot
    Though I was a bit harsh earlier, thats just my not liking whats been done in the Savior's name.

I wanted to say something profound but it aint there.

Merry Christmas, ya'll:cool:

Reactions: OldSalty2
    People keep debating if "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie since it takes place during Christmas break. I think I can answer that question.

This is a Christmas tree topper.

Attachments

• 1671935060767.jpeg
      1671935060767.jpeg
      170.3 KB · Views: 29
    Reactions: Doc68 and 91Eunozs
    However, some movies just affect the perception of music. Growing up, "Jingle Bell Rock" was a cool song that played only during December and it was the most "rock and roll" thing you ever heard.

Now, when I hear it, I cannot help but remember Mel Gibson as Sgt Riggs pulling up to Det. Murtaugh's house in his Chevy Duallie. "Lethal Weapon" now comes to mind when I hear that song.

Also, I am so tired of hearing Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas" being played almost on an endless loop.

Another one that wore me out. I do electrical work. I was working on the Lowes at Preston and PBGT (we called it 190 back then.)
    There was a nursery across the street. They played a cd of Bing Crosby's Christmas album on repeat. I got to work at 6 am and it started at 7 am. I would leave work at 10 pm with it still playing.

That being said, my concerns are small and petty. Merry Christmas to all and God bless us, everyone.

Christmas to me is about spending time with loved ones, but has been hijacked by corporate America and is all about consumerism. I hate that you’re almost obligated to buy people shit.

Read Luke 2:1-20 with your family that’s the real Christmas spirit. Merry Christmas hiders!

Reactions: UKDslayer