• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chrono

RandomWAguy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
PNW
Looking at finally getting a chrono and this will be used for only rimfire rifles 99.9% of the time. (If this should be moved to equipment section though I understand)

I have been looking at the two major units, magnetospeed v3 and labradar. I know the labradar seems to be what most recommend but I am not sure if the extra price is validated in my case.

I plan to get the wiser mount with the v3 so that puts me at about a hundred difference to the labradar, though I may need to buy an external mic or recoil trigger for the labradar it seems which would make it almost $150 more for the labradar.

Has anyone used both with rimfire? If so which would you recommend?

I love the Magnetospeed with a mount. All my rifles are ARCA so it's so quick to attach and get running. The warranty is longer (2 years vs 1) and I've seen a few lab radars start malfunctioning.

Lab radar allows you to chrono pistol if you care about that, or maybe rifles that have no ability to mount the magnetospeed. That doesn't affect me so the v3 was perfect. Also in the travel package, it's very small and light to throw in your pack so you can chrono at matches when you zero.

Looking at finally getting a chrono and this will be used for only rimfire rifles 99.9% of the time. (If this should be moved to equipment section though I understand)

I have been looking at the two major units, magnetospeed v3 and labradar. I know the labradar seems to be what most recommend but I am not sure if the extra price is validated in my case.

I plan to get the wiser mount with the v3 so that puts me at about a hundred difference to the labradar, though I may need to buy an external mic or recoil trigger for the labradar it seems which would make it almost $150 more for the labradar.

Has anyone used both with rimfire? If so which would you recommend?

I feel a LabRadar is a great tool and probably best if one is shooting ELR center fire as it produces a lot go good data from down range. But, it can be tricky in that it too often doesn't pick up a reading . . . particularly if your in close quarters to other shooters (though the recoil trigger helps with that some).

I like my MagnetoSpeed v3 for my .22's. I get consistent good readings, and it's quite accurate. It's light and easy to mount. So, I really feel this is the better choice for rimfires.
Ruger Prec RF wth Magnetospeed.JPG

Take a look at FX Airs wireless Chrono. I'm happy with mine.

I couldn't get mine to return consistent results. Every time I had to change the number to tweak the ranges. I tested them side by side with a magnetospeed so I could get it to match the magnetospeed. Then I removed the magnetospeed and the #'s changed by 15fps... I could tune it again to average out what I would expect, but that was a lot of work for a $200 device. Rather just pay another $125 for a magnetospeed that I could also use for my centerfire.

I liked the concept of the FX Air, I just wish it performed better.

Like I said, I’m happy with mine. With that said, I probably won’t be using it for a while. I just got a case of CX . I shot 499 with 30 X’s last night, it was my 5th match.

I have used an older model Magnetospeed and a Labradar to chrono rimfires and centerfires. The Labradar is the best by far in my opinion. I have used my Labradar to chrono numerous rounds through my rimfires and it has performed without any problems. I can't speak for the Magnetospeed V3 since I have not used one.

Thanks for the question and informed responses, have been looking into this myself!

Forgot to include this:
I use the external microphone as the "trigger" for the Labradar and it works perfectly shooting suppressed or without a suppressor. I will lay the microphone under the barrel making sure that it is back far enough so that it will not be damaged by muzzle blast. This has worked great for me.

I will admit, the Labradar and Magnetospeed are handy gizmos,
but in the end, I still prefer my optical sensor ballistic chronograph.
Simple, reliable, takes me three minutes to set up.
Been running it for almost 4 years and use it for my airguns, bow, rifles and pistols.
Less than 150 bucks for the whole setup and does more than I need.

I will admit, the Labradar and Magnetospeed are handy gizmos,
but in the end, I still prefer my optical sensor ballistic chronograph.
Simple, reliable, takes me three minutes to set up.
Been running it for almost 4 years and use it for my airguns, bow, rifles and pistols.
Less than 150 bucks for the whole setup and does more than I need.
no. just no.

if it takes you 3 minutes to setup a magnetospeed or labradar you're doing it wrong

no worry about light shade clouds sun etc etc just turn on and shoot

No? Really? :D

No overlap from adjacent shooters pulling readings from their shots?
No change in barrel behavior as no extra loading on the muzzle?
No audible sensor needed for those subsonic loads or suppressor use?
I'm gonna continue with cheap and effective,
but don't let me interfere with y'er use of high end tools...;)

Reactions: Cofercr
I couldn't get my caldwell to pick up rimfire right. I guess I needed better overhead lights or something. The lighting at my range is pretty bad, so I need the higher end models with the LED shades or whatever they do.

Reactions: b6graham
No? Really? :D

No overlap from adjacent shooters pulling readings from their shots?
No change in barrel behavior as no extra loading on the muzzle?
No audible sensor needed for those subsonic loads or suppressor use?
I'm gonna continue with cheap and effective,
but don't let me interfere with y'er use of high end tools...;)
hold on. let me go down range everyone and line this up just right.

come on clouds. go away. wait...not that much its too bright.

never had an adjacent shooter come up on a magnetospeed or labradar so idk what you're doing

subsonic works just fine too

Thanks for all the help, looks like I will be looking at magnetospeed in the near future.