• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chronograph advice

Led sled for load development? Or bipod? Or bag? Just finished a round for my 6.5 cm and after talking to a reloader about the results he brought up shooter error. So while trying to find the nirvana load a stable platform seems practical. Thoughts and thanks.

Why develop a load with a lead sled if you can’t shoot satisfactory groups without it? I honestly don’t see the point in lead sleds. Bipod and rear bag for me.

Reactions: cm1021
One nice thing about the magneto speed stuff is that if you start with a sporter, you can upgrade to a v3 bayonet and/or a v3 brain and anything else.. they are like chrono legos in a way.

Also, my 2 cents on the caldwell.. FLAMING PILE OF HOT GARBAGE SHIT! I intentionally shot mine with a 7 mag at 7 feet because I was so frustrated with it and just wanted it out of my life.

Will the magneto work with a suppressor. I tried the Caldwell and it worked ok. It just felt very cheap and was time consuming to set up.

The V3 is designed to. The sporter isn’t, but I could pick up velocity on my .308 but not my 6.5 🤷🏻‍♀️

Go with the V3

@im55in012 just noticed I missed your question regarding having both the MS and labradar. Having used both, I think they are both excellent products. One vs. the other (or both) is really about considering the trade offs.

On a normal range day where I'm not toting a ton of stuff (meaning just working with one gun), I prefer the labradar. I don't have to rig it up and worry about hitting the bayonet. I also don't have to worry about it altering barrel harmonics (I know there are other options to connect a MS, but that's just more rigging). I just pop it on the stand via the arca plate, aim it down range and go to town.

However, if I'm headed out to a hunting property or taking a few things to the range, the labradar bulk can take its toll. At that point, I like the MS because of the form factor. I'm willing to deal with the setup to lessen the size.

When doing load development, I usually pop up to the range with one gun, get things done and head out. So in most cases the labradar is the better fit for me. That's why I chose that direction. I would honesty own both if I didn't have access to my buddy's MS. I would suggest you go with the one that fits your common scenarios first.

I have found the LabRadar to be useless in indoor ranges (I have a 100 yard indoor range near me, works great when its 110* out) and at public ranges where people are blasting left and right of you all the time. It just doesnt know when you are shooting or the guy next to you. Its also more finiky when shooting suppressed because it doesnt always hear the report of the round going off. I know there are work-arounds for these, but just using one out of the box, these are the reasons why I went with a V3.

Here is an old Hide post that compared Magnetospeed to ProChrono (cheap). Interestingly, the variances do not support spending more money. I am a gear junkie but have been happy enough with the less expensive prochrono plus I can use it for my bow.

Led sled for load development? Or bipod? Or bag? Just finished a round for my 6.5 cm and after talking to a reloader about the results he brought up shooter error. So while trying to find the nirvana load a stable platform seems practical. Thoughts and thanks.
Your load dev should mimic your shooting.

The reloader recommending a led sled is surely not a tactical rifle shooter.

If your human error is such that it overrides differences in loads, your load dev is done. 😬 (then practice... until the load is the weak link)

Reactions: Superjet
Good choice, I got one a few years back and it has been invaluable. I just recently picked up a labradar to help with some poi shifts I was getting with my prs rifle.

I'm going to chime on this thread as a Caldwell owner.

I like it. After I bought it and before I used it, I did have some buyers remorse thinking I should have got the Magnetospeed. Now having used it, I am happy with the Caldwell. The only substitute is the Lab Radar for significantly more money.

The problem with the Magnetospeed is you have a big weight at the end of your barrel. For precision shooting, this will affect your point of impact. Therefore you either precision shoot, or you measure your muzzle velocity, but not both. The Caldwell, you just keep on shooting and you don't have to dedicate any rounds solely to measuring muzzle velocity.

The other think i like is you can have a table full of guns and just use each one in turn without messing with anything.

Just make sure you don't shoot your Caldwell.

I'm going to chime on this thread as a Caldwell owner.

I like it. After I bought it and before I used it, I did have some buyers remorse thinking I should have got the Magnetospeed. Now having used it, I am happy with the Caldwell. The only substitute is the Lab Radar for significantly more money.

The problem with the Magnetospeed is you have a big weight at the end of your barrel. For precision shooting, this will affect your point of impact. Therefore you either precision shoot, or you measure your muzzle velocity, but not both. The Caldwell, you just keep on shooting and you don't have to dedicate any rounds solely to measuring muzzle velocity.

The other think i like is you can have a table full of guns and just use each one in turn without messing with anything.

Just make sure you don't shoot your Caldwell.

As a rebuttal. I get no POI shift when I strap my v3 on my rifles, even on my X-Bolt 7 mag.

Will the magneto work with a suppressor. I tried the Caldwell and it worked ok. It just felt very cheap and was time consuming to set up.
The Sporter worked on my 6.5CM suppressed, just turn the sensitivity up!! Their app for your smartphone works great.

20200920_165559.jpg

Reactions: 702lineman
Wow, I must be outdated. I use an Oehler 35P...not even mentioned in this post. Works great for me although a pain to setup.

just do yourself a favor and get the lab radar. you'll either want one and wish you had it, or you'll buy it down the road. I am saving for one. It's just nice to be able to test for groups and collect data at the same time.

Reactions: Biscuits
As a rebuttal. I get no POI shift when I strap my v3 on my rifles, even on my X-Bolt 7 mag.
My personal experience is POI shift on all my rifles. from the pencil thin model 7 barrel, up to the M24/40 and MTU profiles. and cartridges from my 223 up to my 416 rem mag.

The MS can absolutely affect both group size and POI. I've seen it many times but I know a lot of shooters will call BS on that. The LR has its quirks but, ultimately, is a great device. I usually use it on a private range so no false triggers but, after getting the Piet recoil trigger from a member here, that's all I use. It is 100% reliable with that and no reshoots required vs. MS on/off the barrel. Makes load development much simpler.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Another vote for the magnetospeed. Easy set up, easy to carry. Not a terribly large POI shift, but I usually shoot my ladder test for groups and then just Chrono after when I have picked a load. May be backwards but I'm not a very serious long range guy, works for me.

I have been using the Caldwell G2. I am sure the labradar is probably more convenient, but so far it has worked just fine on everything from 22 lr to 6.5 creedmore plus syncs up well with my Iphone. The tripod is crap though so heads up on that. Put the data into my ballistic app, past 600 yards had to do a little truing but it seems to be spot on or very close

Having both a Chrony Beta Master and Caldwell, happy with both. They give me comparable data - slight velocity variation between them, but close enough for what I use one for. And since the two combined cost me under $100.00 (thanks eBay and Marketplace) affordable. Set up is actually easy once you know how, and although fussy, the Chrony has the printer as well. Magneto speed is nice, tried one, but hanging off the barrel does have an impact. I also shoot at a range with Silver Mountain scoring, so I get final velocities from it. I extrapolate back to get muzzle velocity, and I get the same approximate velocities as I do with my my two chronogapha. And, again, what I have works for me.

Last edited:
The advantage is the magneato speed will give you correct data that doesn’t change with the sun in the sky or a cloud.
It’s been awhile since I had mine but I used it on my 22. I’m sure there is a situation that it wouldn’t work so they put the disclaimer out just in case but I never encountered it.
Edit: I had the v3 and a little google makes no distinction for that so maybe the sporter doesn’t work, I’m not sure so I’d get someone with first hand knowledge to confirm.
Edit edit: found this
For anyone wondering, I asked MS and they said the following

We advertise on the box that it is for centerfire rifles only. However, if you are using a thinner barrel .22lr, you will be able to get readings. The Sporter was designed to fit on barrels from .5 to 1" in outer diameter. Most of the issues with not getting readings on .22lr happen when the barrel is .850 or larger. There is too much distance between the sensor deck and bullet flight path. Barrels at 1" or over push the sensor deck too far away from the bullet flight path, even with the thinner rubber pad. This is why we advertise centerfire rifle only.”
☝☝☝

What he said...

I do believe one time, a few moons ago, I was outspoken about the wonders of my standard chrono....

And Señior @spife7980 was kind enough to point out the err of my ways

😘😘😘

Magneto speed is the way to go.
The ballistics gurus at Applied Ballistics tested many of the common chronology; and gave the Magnetospeed highest ratings.
Ive been using for a couple years and find it easy to use, accurate, repeatable, and reliable.

I love the MS. Way more convenient than the Caldwell and other that requires setting up the screen. As for POI shift, I separate my range tasks. When I'm testing velocity, I don't do my accuracy testing and vice versa. I know I use a few more rounds but it's not as if I'm shooting hundreds of rounds for the chrono results.