• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Chronograph questions

79M1a-texas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2005
Denton County, Texas
Loaded up 5 identical rounds using the following method/equipment: sorted weight brass to within .3g; powder weight on a RCBS 10-10 scale; seated bullets with a Co-Ax press and RCBS comp dies. Shot these five rounds, recorded results and shot the next 5 rounds with a powder charge increase of .3g. Took a 5 minute break after 20 shots to let the barrel cool. 70 degree temperature, no wind, sunny and little to no clouds and 25% humidity.
Ran all shots thru a Pact Model 1 XP Chronograph (brand new 9-volt battery) at a distance of 10 year from the barrel. Let’s see if I can make sense of these questions: #1- how much effect does the rifle have on SD/ES? #2– if all rounds are identically loaded, shouldn’t the recorded velocity be within say 2%? #3– If I took a full box of factory ammo what kind of % spread would be considered normal?

Re: Chronograph questions

normal deviation is around 10-30 depending on componets. I've never really kept them inside 10fps. Even if a round is loaded identical it doesnt mean its burn rate is going to be consistent, allot of factors and variables. 2 or 3 % is around 50 fps if 2700fps, so you are right.

Re: Chronograph questions

A cool v hot barrel may also effect you string numbers.

What are you doing to control neck tension?

Are you using match primers?