• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chronograph Why?

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
I have been reloading for about 3 months. I have been trying to develop a load for my 308 that shoots as well as FGMM. I am close but still not there. Anyways how does a reloader use a chrono to help him? I know they measure velocity aside from that I am clueless!

thx Diego

Re: chronograph Why?

It is just another tool to diagnose, and or help with understanding what is going on in your rifle and if it is matching what the reloading data is saying. It is just another tool is all but it can save a lot of time and help with making sure you don't damage your rifle if you go to hot and are not reading brass.

If you have the money you should get one. If you don't than you are not out in the cold because you still can get a pretty accurate velocity using drop figures at two distances.

Biggest benefit I see is the ability to measure consistency and secondary is speed. We tend to run our loads up to maximize the speed as long as we're maintaining good consistency.

I don't worry about a chrony when I'm shooting wheel guns or cowboy action rifles. ie: 45 Colt, 30-30, 45-70, etc ...

Also, if I'm just working up hunting loads for .223, .308, 300 WinMag, 375 H&H, or 416 Rigby I never chrony my loads.

I use the chrony when I'm looking for 'mind bending' consistency for my match .223, .308, and 338 Lapua loads. Consistency in velocity equals consistent shot placement. Assuming all of the shooter , and elemental variables are in place.

"Anyways how does a reloader use a chrono to help him? I know they measure velocity aside from that I am clueless!"

IMHO, that's one of those questions that if I have to ask, I really don't need it. We reloaders were making accurate ammo a hundred years before we had ready access to easily useable chorographs.

You can make really accurite ammo for inside 300 yards without a powder scale or chronograph, but at 1000 yards same cannot be said, a 40 fps SD(standard deviation) will show up big time, and without a measurement of speed no base line ballastic data can be made without a chrono, its a useful when deployed correctly, and for the love of God, DO NOT BUY a Chronie Chrony

When you're working up a load and you're shooting a string of at least 5 rounds per charge, the standard deviation of the velocity is metric you can use to evaluate the shot-shot consistency of the velocity. You should see a pattern of your tightest groups on paper having the lowest standard deviation on the chrony. If you have two tight groups, the SD may be a tie breaker to develop your best load. You can also average your velocity for the ballistic calculator

In other words .... if you don't want to use one ... you don't have to.
grin.gif

I just recently started using one on some of my match loads, and I reloaded fine for 20 yrs. without it. It just adds a new twist to the process.

A problem a lot of new chrony users make is that they start chasing a velocity because someone told them it was the best speed for that bullet. Then you get into real trouble fast. Always watch for pressure signs on your cartridges.

Dont bother with a chrony. Let the holes in the paper tell the story. THEY are what counts, not some stupid number on an LCD readout.

I really, really tried this year to "up" my reloading game and bought a "great" chrono - the CED M2 - and it hasnt helped me a bit - meanwhile, its been a huge PITA.

I first reloaded around 1967 and to date have NEVER used a chronograph to help me decide what the pressure of a load is and my use of one is limited to checking velocities once a load is worked up. Knowing the muzzle velocity is useful for calculating bullet drop at various distances.

#1 velocity
#2 a Standard deviation

as it has been said its not needed but for that bit better in ammo quality to me it is a must.

the other week i just made up some .308 with some 208 a-max's my two best groups were of equal size but one had a SD of 12 and the other had a SD of 1 and the faster load was the one with the SD of 1. with out a chrony i would not have known this.

why worry about the SD, its all about vertical striniging, expecialy with some of my rounds its like calling in artillery and i will take every advantage i can get.

aslo as a side note, knowing your exact FPS help alot when using ballistic programs and those first round hits, also help fine tune the BC of the bullet when you know all of the other variables.

well atleast thats why i use a chrony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you don't than you are not out in the cold because you still can get a pretty accurate velocity using drop figures at two distances. </div></div>

That is making the assumption that the scope is tracking properly. If it isn't then you are not getting proper velocity. Used properly a chrono will give you the velocity. I use mine to make ballistic data for matches and using JBM have never been off more than about .2 mils at 1000 and usually inside that.

A chrono is another tool which helps you get your velocity, ES, and SD numbers. It helps to give you an idea of what your load is doing. Like 427 mentioned you can make accurate short range ammo without it but if that ammo has 80fps spread then when you shoot it at distance you will see the difference.

Chronos aren't that expensive. Get a good one and you can use it for years.

they help you if your trying to copy performance of a factory load too.

Been doing the reloading thing for going on 20 years.

The chrono will do all the things mentioned above.

There is the matter of an error margin, which is of sufficient magnitude to make all readings more a matter of relative than precise.

This is not a bad thing, but it does require one to view such readings differently than one might originally imagine.

In terms of absolute numbers, they should be considered, each and every one of them, as ballpark references, accurate to +/-1% of the value being displayed.

Remember, +/-1% of 3000fps results in an accuracy range of up to 60fps.

So I would choose not to trust the veracity of deviations smaller than such a value. The accuracy of any computational result is a product that can be no more reliable than the accuracy of the numbers going into it.

As a comparison to other numbers that are derived in the exactly same manner I would consider comparative trends and variations as being pretty accurate. But as a means of predictive precision, I would personally choose not to.

Good enough to get you on paper, but probably not for anything more precise. Values like that, I can generally predict within acceptable bounds simply from reading load manuals and guestimating. And when you finally get right down to it, the only real values are the ones you get to read off the target.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you don't than you are not out in the cold because you still can get a pretty accurate velocity using drop figures at two distances. </div></div>

That is making the assumption that the scope is tracking properly. If it isn't then you are not getting proper velocity. Used properly a chrono will give you the velocity. I use mine to make ballistic data for matches and using JBM have never been off more than about .2 mils at 1000 and usually inside that.

A chrono is another tool which helps you get your velocity, ES, and SD numbers. It helps to give you an idea of what your load is doing. Like 427 mentioned you can make accurate short range ammo without it but if that ammo has 80fps spread then when you shoot it at distance you will see the difference.

Chronos aren't that expensive. Get a good one and you can use it for years. </div></div>

Not a bad assumption to make. If your scope doesn't track, you're f'd from the get-go anyway.

In response to the post about group sizes between two loads being the same, but SD being better for one: Who cares what the LCD readout says, if the groups are the same size? If you're limited to testing at 100 yards, I concede that group size isn't going to tell the whole story, and that SD # might help you some. But.... If you can test at longer ranges, I contend that what matters is group size, not some SD number.

I've been battling with my Chrono all year...

1. There is no accuracy/precision data claimed by the manufacturer (CED). I emailed about this and they responded that none of the chrony manufacturers make any accuracy claims, but was assured that it was "very accurate". What does that mean?

2. Lighting conditions have a major effect on whether the chrony will work at all, and what its readings will be.

3. Its a serious PITA to get to the range for testing, get the chrony set up, only to find out its unhappy today and isn't going to read.

4. Depending on the day, my chrony swears my current pet load (308, 45.5 Varget, 175smk, Lapua brass, Fed210M) runs between 2657 average, and 2685 average for 5 shot strings. SD is usually about 5-10. Based on my actual trajectory from 100 yards to 600 yards however, my velocity is actually about 2730. If I blindy plugged in 2657, or 2685 (chrony claim) into any ballistics calculator, I would be missing at range. Meanwhile, I have learned to always bring my .22 out when I chrony, so I can be sure its reading before wasting any money on good ammo through it. The chrony always spits out "reasonable" numbers for the 22 based on what the ammo manufacturer claims for that ammo. For example, the CCI minimag ammo that claims 1235 usually reads between 1215 and 1240 through mine.

5. I've lined up as many as 4 different chronys in series, with no more than 10ft from the entrance of the first to the exit of the last. I used my CED, a Pact, a Pro-chrono, and a shooters chrony. Extreme spread between chronys for any given shot tended to be 50-75fps. Thats a pretty significant difference, if you intend to use that velocity to base 500+ yard trajectories off of.

As far as I'm concerned, the chrony is only useful to have a good idea if your IDPA/IPSC/pistol competition load is going to make "major" (or whatever they call it)... Or to compare two loads relative to eachother, as long as they are tested back to back within a couple minutes of eachother, before the clouds in the sky change the lighting. I would feed fairly confident to say "yes, this one is faster than that one" with this type of testing....but thats about it.

A problem why a lot of data is not worth much is shooters fire one or two 5 shot strings and call it good. To get any statistically significant data I think you must fire at minimun 4 5 shot strings loaded with same lot of powder, bullet, primer, brass, OAL and shot in same conditions. A good chrono with a proof channel such as an Oehler also helps. These do not need to be wasted I test through chrono @ 300-600 my main goal at initial stage is good vertical so I don't chase wind.

A fairly serious hobbyist once posted on the abilities of the shorty chronographs so many swear by. The distance measured is pretty short, the switches used fairly cheap.

He used lots of very big words to say the switches can be very erratic and the data can be very flawed.

He compared the margin of error a shorty has compared to an 8 foot gap between eyes. My right arm started going numb halfway through his explanation but others sure seemed to believe his post.

Anyway, believe what you like and trust what you want.

I had an 80 year old guy build a barn for me, and he did it without a tape measure. He did it without plans. He made all his cuts with a chain saw. He made all the lumber on his saw mill, run with an old Chev 6 cylinder engine.

A really good barn.

I can get tiny groups at 100 yards, and have nothing to do with the chronograph.

But I like a chronograph for bragging on the internet. My 223 can get 4200 fps.

I am on my 4th chronograph, because a chrono lasts about one magazine of my handgun shooting.

I am strictly rifle over the chronograph now, it has lasted years.

" I emailed about this and they responded that none of the chrony manufacturers make any accuracy claims, but was assured that it was "very accurate". What does that mean?"

Good question but the answer is too nebulous to specify with any certainty. Basic accuracy of the 'clock' (electronic ossilator) is easy enough to control and is often within a small fraction of 1%. Bigger problems are that the sensing 'windows' of the photo screens aren't very precise nor is the point at which the electonic switches respond to passing bullets...and it can't be otherwise. Fortunately we don't need labratory precision anyway, common chronographs seem to be plenty accurate for our purposes. If they are in significant error it's likely to be gross, not tiny.

CED is mistaken. Shooting Chrony claims "better than 99.5% accuracy." PVM advertises "Accuracy: < 1% from the shown value."

But, frankly, those numbers should be viewed with a heavy dollop of skepticism because: 1) neither states the velocity on which they base their claim, and error rate goes up with bullet velocity. And, 2) the PVM's timing circuitry is ~16x as fast as the SC's, so the PVM's error rate should be dramatically lower than the SC's, not higher. Either PVM is practicing the soft sell or SC is peddling wolf cookies.

The CED M2's circuitry is not quite 4x as fast as the PVM's so it's error rate should be lower still.

As Fuzzball notes, whether that translates into such a substantial real-world difference comes down mostly to how well the photosensors do their job. Which is why an IR light source is such a good idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an 80 year old guy build a barn for me, and he did it without a tape measure. He did it without plans........
I can get tiny groups at 100 yards, and have nothing to do with the chronograph.

But I like a chronograph for bragging on the internet. My 223 can get 4200 fps.</div></div>
The point of chronographing your ammo is to be able to predict where your <span style="text-decoration: underline">first</span> shot would hit when the distance to your target is greater than 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...we don't need labratory precision anyway, common chronographs seem to be plenty accurate for our purposes...</div></div>
That depends on what you're trying to do with the data your chrono gives you. Think "<span style="text-decoration: underline">long</span> range".

"...we don't need labratory precision anyway, common chronographs seem to be plenty accurate for our purposes...
---- That depends on what you're trying to do with the data your chrono gives you. Think "long range".

Matters not a bit, at least for the small error likely to be in any common chronograph; the speed is what it is no matter what the instument says. And, thinking long range strongly suggests zeroing for the range at the range, not by what a computer program based on chronographed speed says it "should" be. Or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And, thinking long range strongly suggests zeroing for the range at the range, not by what a computer program based on chronographed speed says it "should" be. Or not?</div></div>
Like I said - depends on what you're trying to do.

If you can zero for the range at the range - you don't have to use a chrono.

It's only when you need to hit with your <span style="text-decoration: underline">first</span> shot that such things start mattering (and quite a bit, I might say).

"It's only when you need to hit with your first shot that such things start mattering (and quite a bit, I might say)."

If you need to hit with your first shot you better have some past experience to base it on. Fact is, neither a bullet's BC figures nor the computer programs are sufficently precise to make first round hits happen without testing somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you need to hit with your first shot you better have some past experience to base it on.</div></div>
This is true - unless you mean "at the same range or distance", which won't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fact is, neither a bullet's BC figures nor the computer programs are sufficently precise to make first round hits happen without testing somewhere.</div></div>
My facts differ from yours. Hornady 168gr AMAX (308 Win!) and KAC Bullet Flight made first shot hits on the steel at 700 yards - in presence of 3-to-7mph varying wind. Would've made 1st shot hit at 900 yards with a better shooter (as the predicted elevation adjustment was spot on).

BC's change in unpredictible ways as velocity changes but all of this is quite irrelivant to the chronograph question asked by a new guy who has only been reloading for three months.

Nevertheless, I wish you continued good luck with your long range hits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BC's change in unpredictible ways as velocity changes...</div></div>
Leaving alone the theory, for all practical purposes this is incorrect, at least for as long as we're talking supersonic and (partially) transonic periods of flight.

Just for the fun of it, pick a bullet, take a look at the G7 BC's in Bryan Litz's book and observe how (wihch way and by how much) they change from one velocity check-point to the next. Then compare them with the average "single" G7 BC and figure out the percentage of error/difference. Then plug it into the ballistic program of your choice and see how much off would it send you at say 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but all of this is quite irrelivant to the chronograph question asked by a new guy who has only been reloading for three months.</div></div>
grin.gif
I'm learning, you're learning, and he's learning. I see nothing wrong with this picture.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nevertheless, I wish you continued good luck with your long range hits.</div></div>
Thank you!

IIRC the CED 2 Millennium ppwk states it has an allowable error of .005 fps which roughly translates to 13fps for a 2700fps velocity. I am quite happy with my ES's in the low teens for just that reason.

Chrony's are useful tools, but they are just that, another tool in the box to achieve superior performance. As they sit they help you make good decisions regarding powder weight, powder type, seating depth and "crimp" (or neck tension if you prefer) as well as show you some possible variables in powder lots and primer types.

I consider it to be a medium to advanced tool in the reloading tool box. Desirable, yes. Indispensable, no.

Cheers,

Doc

The only thing I've ever needed a chronograph for is generating a rough draft of a drop chart, which is later confirmed or denied via rounds down range.

I believe the bullet, and using OCW to the letter produces a minimum of half minute load predictability (quite a few factory rifles in the past 9 or 10 years using OCW), with 1/4 minute very attainable as is the case with the custom 30-06 I just put together recently.

If you can't shoot to begin with, a chronograph isn't going to help you much. Most accuracy issues are caused by the nut behind the trigger, not the rifle or the load. A chronograph is just a tool that may or may not produce reliable results. Just a different light condition between sessions will give you different results, and I've seen that happen all on the same day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC the CED 2 Millennium ppwk states it has an allowable error of .005 fps which roughly translates to 13fps for a 2700fps velocity. I am quite happy with my ES's in the low teens for just that reason. </div></div>

This is incorrect. I say so because after I bought my M2, I was chatting with my dad about it (also an engineer), and he asked me about the accuracy/precision of the instrument. After combing through the paperwork and finding nothing, I emailed about it, which was when I received the reply that CED does not pubish *any* claimed accuracy figures.

Someone ealier wrote about the shooting chrony having published accuracy claims... Was that for the entire unit, or was it only part of the system? While chatting with Mr. B. Litz about this, he told me that most any accuracy claim will be for the circuitry/CPU of the chronograph, and does NOT include the sensors themselves.

What this means is the chronograph, minus the sensors, is hooked up to an electronic device that is capable of sending electrical signals into the sensor wiring with high timing precision. The chronograph's processor is then compared. However, because this doesn't factor in the response time and consistency of the sensors, any claim based on this is completely worthless.

Anyone want to buy a CED M2?

I found the Shooting Chrony's entire accuracy claim statement. They do in fact state the velocity at which that accuracy figure was derived:

"Accuracy: 99.5% or better. Displayed velocity will not differ from actual velocity by more than 1 part in 200, i.e., ±10 fps on a velocity reading of 2000 fps. Typical performance is generally better, and shot-to-shot repeatability is always more accurate, i.e., Reported Mean Instrumental Velocity may differ by as much as 0.5% from actual mean instrumental velocity, but Standard Deviation calculated from data gathered with a Chrony will always be closer than 0.5% to actual Standard Deviation for a string. This is an important fact because an accurate measurement of a load’s uniformity is of considerably more importance than is an exact measure of its average velocity."

(http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_F1M1.htm#tech_specs)

Never been off target at 1000 more than .2 mils using only a chrono reading and a scope that tracks perfectly. That's about 7.2". Not too bad. Again that is not making an assumption my scope tracks correctly. That is testing it and knowing for sure.

Some people don't have 1000 yards to test their data on or even more than a few hundred. I have 400 yards and shoot matches around the country at different elevations and temps not to mention out to 1000+ ranges. Using a chrono gives me a good velocity to put into my ballistic program to run charts. They have done me well over the years.

If you don't need a chrono then don't get one but if you want the data it provides then pick one up.

They serve multiple reasons.

They are a quantative way of measuring the “quality and consistency” of your ammo. They are a necessary piece of information in order to produce drop charts. Bottom line is if you want to shoot and to shoot accurately and consistently in a number of locations and conditions they are bordering on mandatory.

You could probably get away without using a chrono for short range shooting. You need it for long range for the following reason(s):
1) You develop a really accurate load that will not remain above mach 1.1 or so at the range you want to shoot. In other words, you need to find a faster accuracy node that is less accurate.
2) As was mentioned above, the SD's in velocity will tell you how consistent your ammo is. If SD's are above 10, you might need to do some tweaking, again for long range.
3) You will need to know your true velocity in order to build a drop chart using computer software. I know a lot of folks think they can build a drop chart based on "experience," but when shooting at different altitudes and different temperatures, the write the number down in the notebook drop chart is of little value.

I'll go beyond what Chiller says and say that if you are shooting beyond 300 yards, they are mandatory. Period. At least if you want to shoot what you are aiming at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
the other week i just made up some .308 with some 208 a-max's my two best groups were of equal size but one had a SD of 12 and the other had a SD of 1 and the faster load was the one with the SD of 1. with out a chrony i would not have known this.
</div></div>

An SD of 1? For how many shots?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: john_1182</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

An SD of 1? For how many shots? </div></div>

A broken clock is right twice a day....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They serve multiple reasons.

They are a necessary piece of information in order to produce drop charts. </div></div>

Ummm....no, they're the easiest way to do that, not the necessary way.

A large-esque piece of cardboard, a box full or two of ammo, a range finder, a note book, a pickup truck to save all the walking....and the ability to use them all will work just as good, probably better per concrete results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They serve multiple reasons.

They are a necessary piece of information in order to produce drop charts. </div></div>

A large-esque piece of cardboard, a box full or two of ammo, a range finder, a note book, a pickup truck to save all the walking....and the ability to use them all will work just as good, probably better per concrete results. </div></div>

If you are going to quote me.....quote it all.

Bottom line is if you want to shoot and to shoot accurately and consistently in a number of locations and conditions they are bordering on mandatory

10 rounds over a chrono zeroed for 100 yards w/ a 3000 DA.

with good data that equaled 1st round hits at 1000 yards with a 9500'DA on 1moa target.. so unless you are going to get true data from multiple DA and multiple enviroments a chrono really is required in our game

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

Not that it matters here, but wasn't that written by the late Marine Col. Cooper?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

Not that it matters here, but wasn't that written by the late Marine Col. Cooper? </div></div>

you tell me...???

http://jpetrie.myweb.uga.edu/Heinlein.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competent_man

If FGMM shoots well in your gun. A chrono is a valuable tool to help duplicate and even surpass the factory ammo's accuracy.

Use a chrono to determine the FGMM's velocity average in your gun. Then use the data work up to a load that develops the same velocity with the same case, bullet weight and type. You are basically making a "copy" as best you can without the benefit of the canister grade powders. (but you'll do fine) Watch for pressure signs on every shot. Compare the primers to the FGMM. Neck tension and seating depth are important variables to consider. You will likely find that the reload shoots as well (or better) than the new ammo if you have used quality dies and components. From there you can fine tune.

Take note that the gun will tend to group tightest at a particular point of impact. Consider this velocity to be a "Sweet Spot". You may find more than one.

I have used Oehler, Pact, Shooting chrony and Prochrono. I suggest starting with Prochrono. Definitely the easiest to use - and relatively inexpensive.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They serve multiple reasons.

A large-esque piece of cardboard, a box full or two of ammo, a range finder, a note book, a pickup truck to save all the walking....and the ability to use them all will work just as good, probably better per concrete results.</div></div>

That gets you concrete data... for that day. But conditions will not be that same, even for the same place in the winter and the summer. Change the elevation by a couple of thousand feet and whatever results you had will not hold. At least not at distance.

Not that a databook doesn't help. You can use drops and known MV to jigger with BC or other factors in a ballistic calculator. But you are almost always going to get better / more widely applicable results out of a ballistic calculator with all of the correct parameters than with a piece of cardboard, a rangefinder, and a notebook.

Or here's a better idea for those on a budget... skip the rangefinder, buy the chrono, and use a subtended reticle to estimate distance.

Bottom line, you don't think you need a chrono then don't get one. Your money. I wouldn't be without one though.

One of the most valuable tools to successful long range shooting. If you're not using one you don't know what is going on with your rifle, or load. It is the deciding factor when using a ballistic calculator.

"I've never used one and don't need it."

"I've made accurate ammo for years without one."

I believe all of these statements.

However, without a chronograph for load development, you are completely in the dark. The only thing better than owning a chronograph is having a buddy who does.

I reloaded for 15-20 years without a chrony. I made some great 100 yd ammo but my long-range stuff was average at best. Then I got a chrony. It's not like there was a sudden change, but over time I learned how to make use of the new info I had available. My long-range loads improved dramatically over the next 15 years. I can't credit the chrony for all the improvement, but it damn sure played a part. I can't imagine doing without it today.

A chrony is like a lot of reloading tools. When you're starting out, you don't need the most expensive or complex stuff - it would just confuse you. But if you want to take your loads to the top level, you end up upgrading almost every one of your tools (and techniques) - sometimes several times over the years. You wouldn't even consider going back to the tools and methods you started with. IMO, a chrony is one of the improvements you have to include if you want to take it to the top. Yeah, it can be a P.I.T.A. sometimes, but lots of the things we do to get to the highest level are a P.I.T.A. If it was easy, everybody could do it.

The greater the range, the more first round hit probability hinges on controlling the deterministic variables. And SD is a deterministic variable that can make or break your chances of a first round hit. So if first round hit probability is a key consideration, a chrono is just about indispensable for assessing the suitability of your ammunition.

"...without a chronograph for load development, you are completely in the dark."

Understand what you mean but that's a great overstatement; no matter what the chronograph says we all judge the final results on the targets.