• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chronogrphs

fatdaddy@55!

Fatdaddy55
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Need advise on buying a up grade from my magetneto sporter, looking for highter end stuff with good reviews. Tks fatdaddy

I tried Labradar - didn't do it for me, but know people who like it. So like Magnetospeed, it has issues too. Personally I've ended up with two Magnetospeeds that I mount with different offset systems: Wiser Precision Mount & MK Machining Mount. They each have their strengths, so which one I use depends on which rifle I'm using and how it's setup.

If you really want to get even more useful data and you've got the ability to setup a dedicated target, get a Shotmarker System

Need advise on buying a up grade from my magetneto sporter, looking for highter end stuff with good reviews. Tks fatdaddy
I'm very happy with my Labradar. Works, works well, is easy to download data from, can be used with a pistol if that is also your thing, and it doesn't hang off of a gun so I can use it during load dev without concern for impact to POI or groups.

Also, easy to set up and no fussing with rods, velcro straps, etc.

Reactions: skyrep
Practically speaking, you have two choices: MagnetoSpeed or LabRadar. Each has its pros and cons. There are many threads here about them.

I've had my LabRadar a couple of years now and have been completely satisfied. Biggest annoyance is the BlueTooth app is clunky and drops connection all too easily. If you shoot on a crowded line, you'll need a recoil-activated trigger as the microphone trigger will pick up adjacent shots. I've learned the device's idiosyncrasies and very, very seldom have failures to pick up shots.

Other people despise LR for any number of reasons. Whatever. Mine has been everything I hoped it would be.

Reactions: Baron23
If you really want to get even more useful data and you've got the ability to setup a dedicated target, get a Shotmarker System
The shotmaker is cool, giving downrange velocity, but it certainly is not for everyone; especially if the shooter is primarily using a tightly controlled public 100y range or can't transport the frame easily.

The LR, I agree still needs work but when you have it dialed it's great. That said I always have a magneto speed in my range bag and it works in the rain, snow, over dense vegetation, when closely around other shooters and in congested shooting lanes, where the LR will not. I end up bring the LR out during load dev, but as mentioned have the magneto speed in the bag and still find a use for an optical.

Yeah, agreed - it's specifically why I don't have one yet and why I also caveated it.

I gotta say that I was severely disappointed in the Wiser mount. The fit and finish was absolute trash. And I was sent a "new" model with the old model's instructions. Wiser responded to my first email about fit and finish, but when I asked to return the product (just days after receiving it) they stopped responding. Never heard from them again. I'd stay away from them.

My wiser mount cracked on a range trip last week. The finish is not great and I thought, well that's that but so far I've had an excellent customer service interaction with them. Had an email reply and warranty parts in the mail by the end of they day from Wiser.

In comparison I had two other issues from that trip. For some reason it was just one of those days. I emailed Wiser about the crack, Magnetospeed about a display issue, and PVA a simple question. Haven't heard anything from Magnetospeed or PVA.

My wiser mount cracked on a range trip last week. The finish is not great and I thought, well that's that but so far I've had an excellent customer service interaction with them. Had an email reply and warranty parts in the mail by the end of they day from Wiser.

In comparison I had two other issues from that trip. For some reason it was just one of those days. I emailed Wiser about the crack, Magnetospeed about a display issue, and PVA a simple question. Haven't heard anything from Magnetospeed or PVA.
Be aware that Magnetospeed was recently bought out by Kestrel. There may be some transitional disruption going on there.

Be aware that Magnetospeed was recently bought out by Kestrel. There may be some transitional disruption going on there.
Uhg, consolidation like this is not cool. At least we’ve got Labradar around for some competition.

One of my buds who is big into reloading uses the Oehler System 89.

It makes everything else look like toys but as usual it is $$$$$

Oehler 89
Many also swear by the Oehler 35, but for our son and myself we have been very satisfied with the Labradar. Its only weak points have been shooting subsonic but even there I have had no issues.

Setting up screened systems has always been a time consuming pain. Then hope and pray the light is right.

Labradar; put it on its tripod, point it at the target, turn it on, tell the iPhone to arm it and go to shooting.

Still if interested, here is the link to the 35

Oehler 35

edit - Got the replacement Wiser parts and all fixed up there. Couldn't ask for better service. Still haven't received anything from my other emails to the other companies... Magnetospeed might be having issues with the acquisition... damn.