• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ChronoPlotter: A new open source tool for graphing chronograph data

Haven't gotten to try this out yet but from what I've read its a great program. I've got an idea similar to this for an app, one that also measures group sizes like range buddy/SubMOA/BallisticX.
Cool! I've been looking into something like that since adding support for seating depth graphing. I'm unfamiliar with image processing so mainly I've just been toying with libraries so far. At minimum, parsing the output from existing apps seems easier but still useful.

Reactions: RedlegDiesel66
The issue I have with the current apps is that they are clunky and very hard to organize. They solve the task of measuring groups but offer no ease in so far as comparing load data.

Reactions: Terry of illinois
The issue I have with the current apps is that they are clunky and very hard to organize. They solve the task of measuring groups but offer no ease in so far as comparing load data.
What app are you using? The OP solves just that problem. A streamlined way to gather, input and analyze data.
If you're unable to compare two or three or (x) graphs, then perhaps there is a deeper issue you're fighting in your load development.

I haven't used this program yet, I will in the near future. I was referring to the group measuring apps I referenced in my first post.

Cool! I've been looking into something like that since adding support for seating depth graphing. I'm unfamiliar with image processing so mainly I've just been toying with libraries so far. At minimum, parsing the output from existing apps seems easier but still useful.
Just used it to plot a powder charge ladder and it was super simple to use and the outputs are very clear and helpful.

Reactions: mc10
Thanks for making this! Cant wait to try it out...once bullets become available again lol

In a difficult, roundabout way maybe:
I was going to buy a chrome book for basic excell files and load development. Then I learned the chrome books use the ms office app and may not run the load development macros. Then I learned about chrono plotter and I was hoping it would work with a simple chrome book. Thanks to your link I’m just going to have to buy a windows based notebook. Thanks for your help.

I was going to buy a chrome book for basic excell files and load development. Then I learned the chrome books use the ms office app and may not run the load development macros. Then I learned about chrono plotter and I was hoping it would work with a simple chrome book. Thanks to your link I’m just going to have to buy a windows based notebook. Thanks for your help.
Most likely there won't be a ChronoPlotter version for Chromebooks in the near future. As 6.5SH mentioned, there is a roundabout way to make it work (by essentially jailbreaking them and building the code manually), but it's definitely on the advanced side of things and kind of a pain in the neck for users to do. Running it on Windows or MacOS would certainly be a simpler choice.

Reactions: 6.5SH

ChronoPlotter v2.0.0​

Updates in this version:
  • Added support for graphing seating depth data
  • Improved UI for selecting LabRadar vs MagnetoSpeed data
  • Complete project rewrite in C++ and qcustomplot (drops PyInstaller and matplotlib dependencies)
  • Significant performance improvements and reduction in executable sizes (-60% for Windows, -80% for MacOS)
  • Both Windows and MacOS executables are now code signed
Downloads:

This release introduces a major new feature... creating graphs for seating depth testing! By using this feature, shooters can plot cartridge length vs. group size and more easily identify seating depth nodes.

For example:
View attachment 7623608
I'm exploring ways to further automate the process of inputting group size data, including using image processing and integrating with other ballistics apps. Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve this feature, or any further feature requests.

Are there any plans to support other chrono's? Caldwell, Competition Electronics, etc.? Thanks.

Reactions: BassinDmax
Are there any plans to support other chrono's? Caldwell, Competition Electronics, etc.? Thanks.
Yup, I’m working on support for Competition Electronics ProChrono right now actually. If you have any requests I can take a look if you have samples of the data files.

The next version will also feature manual data entry (if your chrono doesn’t export files), and I’m working on ShotMarker support for seating depth testing as well.

Yup, I’m working on support for Competition Electronics ProChrono right now actually. If you have any requests I can take a look if you have samples of the data files.

The next version will also feature manual data entry (if your chrono doesn’t export files), and I’m working on ShotMarker support for seating depth testing as well.
Sweet! Appreciate your reply and work. I use a ProChrono and assume you already have examples of their CSV files. If you need more, I can send you some. Looking forward to the next version.

ChronoPlotter v2.1.0​

Huge update!

New in this version:
  • Added support for manual entry of powder charge data
  • Added experimental support for ShotMarker files (both .tar and .csv files)
  • Added support for Competition Electronics ProChrono files
  • Added support for MagnetoSpeed XFR app files
  • Added support for calculating Y-Stdev, X-Stdev, Radial Stdev, and Mean Radius for shot dispersion
  • Changed default save directory to user’s home directory
  • Program now shows warning when file save encounters error
  • Added confirmation on program exit
  • Various code fixes
The project also has a brand new website: https://chronoplotter.com/

Downloads:

ChronoPlotter is wholly owned and developed by Precision Analytics, LLC.

ChronoPlotter v2.1.0​

Huge update!

New in this version:
  • Added support for calculating Y-Stdev, X-Stdev, Radial Stdev, and Mean Radius for shot dispersion
  • Various code fixes

Downloads:

I’m excited because I’ve wanted to manually enter information.

More thanks for your time and effort! Looking at getting a Labradar in the near future so this is very timely. I'll shoot off an extra donation to the GBF, in lieu of the seals.

ChronoPlotter v2.1.0​

Huge update!

New in this version:
  • Various code fixes

Downloads:

Thank you so very much for doing this sftw and improving it.

I do use it and its VERY handy and easy to use.

Best of luck.

Thank you for this awesome software!
I usually introduce all the data by hand and after tens of numbers introduced if I close the app everything is lost, a picture of the graph won't help especially if I want to add data later. Any chance the work can be saved in projects and files I can open later on and continue working on them?
I would really appreciate that!
Thank you!

Thank you for this awesome software!
I usually introduce all the data by hand and after tens of numbers introduced if I close the app everything is lost, a picture of the graph won't help especially if I want to add data later. Any chance the work can be saved in projects and files I can open later on and continue working on them?
I would really appreciate that!
Thank you!
Glad you like it! Being able to save a session to a file and re-load it later is definitely on the list. I hope to add it in an upcoming version soon

Reactions: daopi and RS14
Holy Cow! This is like the Holy Grail for LabRadar users!! I'm so grateful. Thank you so much for creating this. I love LabRadar, but I have a Mac, don't have Excel on it, and have struggled since I got the damn thing to find an efficient way of managing the data it produces. Your program looks like it's going to solve that problem in an elegant way with a simple GUI. No Excel, no macros... Just, *simplicity*.. Kinda what LabRadar should've designed to go with their product when they released it!

I realize that many guys who use a product like LabRadar are engineers and highly STEM oriented-- But, not all of us are masters of Excel, programming, etc, nor does everyone have a PC, which seems to still be the dominant format for anything excel related (in the shooting world anyway). You covered all your bases. Thank you, again. (I'll be keeping an eye out for your patreon.... What you made is going to help a lot of people in the shooting community. (y)(y)

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I recently released a software tool I wrote to easily generate charge weight vs. velocity graphs without any manual data entry necessary. It currently supports LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed with SD card.

Full instructions are here, but basically point ChronoPlotter at your SD card or any directory with series data, auto-fill in the charge weights (if they're at constant intervals), then click Show graph and that's it. No manually typing in velocities, no screwing around in Excel.

View attachment 7579836

These chronos store velocity data in CSV format, but the task of actually extracting and using that data from the SD card can be tedious. Some folks report handwriting their chrono data in a notebook to avoid it altogether. After experiencing this with my own LabRadar, I wrote ChronoPlotter to solve it.

ChronoPlotter is open source which means anyone's free to use it and look at how it works. The project is written in Python, but if you don't have Python installed you can instead simply download the prebuilt program for your OS:
Please note it will take a few moments for the program to start. Details here for those who are curious why.

The program also supports creating line chart + SD bar-style graphs, and has other features like handling round-robin (OCW) data where each chrono series contains one shot from every charge weight. You can also configure the graph in a number of ways, like annotating each series with its stats.

You can view the project in its entirety here: https://github.com/mncoppola/ChronoPlotter

Please let me know if you have any feedback, feature requests, or bug reports. Thanks!

Reactions: mc10 and Baron23
Holy Cow! This is like the Holy Grail for LabRadar users!! I'm so grateful. Thank you so much for creating this. I love LabRadar, but I have a Mac, don't have Excel on it, and have struggled since I got the damn thing to find an efficient way of managing the data it produces. Your program looks like it's going to solve that problem in an elegant way with a simple GUI. No Excel, no macros... Just, *simplicity*.. Kinda what LabRadar should've designed to go with their product when they released it!

I realize that many guys who use a product like LabRadar are engineers and highly STEM oriented-- But, not all of us are masters of Excel, programming, etc, nor does everyone have a PC, which seems to still be the dominant format for anything excel related (in the shooting world anyway). You covered all your bases. Thank you, again. (I'll be keeping an eye out for your patreon.... What you made is going to help a lot of people in the shooting community. (y)(y)
I appreciate the kind words! I wrote the program since I found the Excel route extremely tedious as well (despite being an engineer), so I'm happy others are finding it useful too.

If anyone decides they'd like to donate to the project, I recently set up a page at https://chronoplotter.com/donate/. I'll look into maybe setting up a Patreon. :)

Last edited:
Does the actual Labradar need t be connected? Have sd card in computer and all .csv are grey.

Anyone else getting this notice from their virus scanner?
3D9E0FCB-3ACD-43E0-A346-26F5A5B2C5A7.jpeg

Anyone else getting this notice from their virus scanner?
View attachment 7715693
That's super strange.... Which antivirus do you have installed? Many antiviruses will warn on downloading new .exe files that ones that haven't been downloaded thousands of times before.

VirusTotal (which scans against every antivirus) detects zero issues when it scans the URL: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/...1398c412f28b9d4b5b8b66e939539e57b43?nocache=1

The source code to the program is available here and anyone can inspect it https://github.com/mncoppola/ChronoPlotter

Reactions: JB.IC
That's super strange.... Which antivirus do you have installed? Many antiviruses will warn on downloading new .exe files that ones that haven't been downloaded thousands of times before.

VirusTotal (which scans against every antivirus) detects zero issues when it scans the URL: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/...1398c412f28b9d4b5b8b66e939539e57b43?nocache=1

The source code to the program is available here and anyone can inspect it https://github.com/mncoppola/ChronoPlotter

McAfee is what I use. Never had an issue with downloading anything and I download a lot of stuff regularly

I've submitted a false positive report to McAfee, hopefully they reply quickly!
I downloaded it and then ran a separate scan on it with a different program and it didn’t detect any issues. It’s probably a fluke

Most likely it is just a false positive from the McAfee browser add-on not McAfee AV proper. This has become a recent trend across many brands where the two products have different definition and product teams. Something that isn't well known because of relatively few downloads will get flagged as malicious even if it isn't.

ChronoPlotter v2.2.0​

New in this version:
  • Sighter shots in ShotMarker are now toggleable (and hidden by default)
  • X-axis spacing is now toggleable (and proportional by default)
  • Added support for importing ShotMarker velocity data
  • Added support for alternate ProChrono Digital Link CSV format
  • Updated about tab
  • Various code fixes
Downloads:

That wouldn't exactly be a trivial addition from a developer's POV.

If you could add target analysis functionality like On Target does that would be amazing...
I'm not the developer but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the developer was not trying to focus on considering there's a yardsale of target analysis apps out there now.

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I recently released a software tool I wrote to easily generate charge weight vs. velocity graphs without any manual data entry necessary. It currently supports LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed with SD card.

Full instructions are here, but basically point ChronoPlotter at your SD card or any directory with series data, auto-fill in the charge weights (if they're at constant intervals), then click Show graph and that's it. No manually typing in velocities, no screwing around in Excel.

View attachment 7579836

These chronos store velocity data in CSV format, but the task of actually extracting and using that data from the SD card can be tedious. Some folks report handwriting their chrono data in a notebook to avoid it altogether. After experiencing this with my own LabRadar, I wrote ChronoPlotter to solve it.

ChronoPlotter is open source which means anyone's free to use it and look at how it works. The project is written in Python, but if you don't have Python installed you can instead simply download the prebuilt program for your OS:
Please note it will take a few moments for the program to start. Details here for those who are curious why.

The program also supports creating line chart + SD bar-style graphs, and has other features like handling round-robin (OCW) data where each chrono series contains one shot from every charge weight. You can also configure the graph in a number of ways, like annotating each series with its stats.

You can view the project in its entirety here: https://github.com/mncoppola/ChronoPlotter

Please let me know if you have any feedback, feature requests, or bug reports. Thanks!
Why do I keep getting "windows is unable to open the specified path; may not have access........

Hey so I tried downloading this on my windows os laptop and can't get it to run it keeps saying permissions not allowed when trying to open the downloaded file. Anyone help with this?
Try: Right click the file>properties>Unblock near the bottom.

Reactions: waveslayer