• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cigar thread 2.0

qj1xjddfbBCEZVlopTNeYM-TPguGL7P44lfB9gW7HNbYl4C2v7lfQM8zDjjrlsasyMeVyspFjrQJqIEI4eC3eLNHmYypkpHhHCfH_erIozkN9T0NqpX975vl

I'll say it, never impressed with the Opus'. I sat on some for three years, heard they really shine around that point. Meh. Give me a nice Padron or Partagas No 4.
Do I still have some in the humidor? Yes.....

Reactions: Wulf
I hear ya; I'm happy with my Oliva Series V Melanios...

Was looking at some Upmann's today though....
I have 1-2 a year, I don't need any more expensive hobbies haha.

Sometimes I'll go to a local shop just to walk around and smell the pipe tobacco in the air and walk through the humidor.

Damn pipe tobacco smells good.

Reactions: Wulf and koobs84
I'll say it, never impressed with the Opus'. I sat on some for three years, heard they really shine around that point. Meh. Give me a nice Padron or Partagas No 4.
Do I still have some in the humidor? Yes.....
Which opus’s do you have? I find that’s just run of the mill opus that are released around this time every year need a lot more time to ferment and age. Sticks like the forbidden or lost city’s with a date on the band tend to be ready sooner when you scoop them up.

I do enjoy a pipe from time to time as well. Anyone else a pipe smoker too??

This is my Peterson Dracula pipe

View attachment 7503723
Piper here too! Nothing like a healthy does of Vit N complements of Petersons Irish Flake (or the like) in a Nording Freehand to make the world right again! I have way to much pipe baccy for my own good! :LOL:

Magnum 54 for me tonight. Finished off another cigar rest, these are 20mm shells hand filed and polished. Cool thing is that the primers unscrew and can be sharpened into a punch for large ring gauge sticks.

Attachments

• 9415CA22-FF34-4418-AD3A-0AB8F53A2835.jpeg
    9415CA22-FF34-4418-AD3A-0AB8F53A2835.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 35
I do enjoy a pipe from time to time as well. Anyone else a pipe smoker too??

This is my Peterson Dracula pipe

View attachment 7503723
I was just telling the woman yesterday I was thinking about buying a pipe. Figure I would start out with a corncob and some sort of sampler pack of tobacco. My father and grandfather smoked corncob pipes their entire lives. They did have some nice pipes, but for everyday, it was always corncobs.

I was just telling the woman yesterday I was thinking about buying a pipe. Figure I would start out with a corncob and some sort of sampler pack of tobacco. My father and grandfather smoked corncob pipes their entire lives. They did have some nice pipes, but for everyday, it was always corncobs.

I used to smoke a pipe, great for at home but it was a pain in the arse carrying it about. Corncob is a great way to try it out without spending too much money, but then if you enjoy it it’s worth spending money on a nice Peterson or something that takes your fancy. The fun part is blending the tobacco and creating your own flavours. I was big into Latakia but there’s plenty of really good off the shelf stuff from Dunhill and Mac Baren. Totally different to cigars, can be a lot harsher. Running a pipe cleaner through the stem and seeing all the shit that comes out is an eye opener though. Here’s a photo from Antarctica, pipe stem snapped at some point so I had to duct tape it together halfway through the deployment. Fun times. The pipe was a far better option than cigars in that climate, they never seemed to burn right.

Attachments

• 58F0EF5A-7E36-4476-AFAD-5169A9C1DDA6.jpeg
    58F0EF5A-7E36-4476-AFAD-5169A9C1DDA6.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 35
Pipe here too. Got a freaking library of them. Dunhill nightcap, 965, EMP, Midnight Ride or Old Ironsides is preferred. Latakia is the shit. Started on pipe, went to cigars. Almost exclusively cigars now. But pipe tobacco is cheaper and can be knock-your-ass-out strong.

Reactions: Athos300
I used to smoke a pipe, great for at home but it was a pain in the arse carrying it about. Corncob is a great way to try it out without spending too much money, but then if you enjoy it it’s worth spending money on a nice Peterson or something that takes your fancy. The fun part is blending the tobacco and creating your own flavours. I was big into Latakia but there’s plenty of really good off the shelf stuff from Dunhill and Mac Baren. Totally different to cigars, can be a lot harsher. Running a pipe cleaner through the stem and seeing all the shit that comes out is an eye opener though. Here’s a photo from Antarctica, pipe stem snapped at some point so I had to duct tape it together halfway through the deployment. Fun times. The pipe was a far better option than cigars in that climate, they never seemed to burn right.
Cool pic! A pipe can be hasher than a cigar but I think alot of that has to do with puffing a pipe like it was a cigar. Gotta sip or the tongue bit and nic hit can be brutal! @Tallahassee if curiosity gets the better of you give me a shout I'll hook you up with a sampler. I think I can handle it...
half a stash.jpg

half a stashII.jpg

There is more jarred in coolers...

Last edited:

I only have the one pipe. I do enjoy it from time to time but I’m definitely more of a cigar guy. Can’t justify buying a bunch of pipes. Although I have considered getting a second pipe just to separate the stronger and lighter blends

Reactions: Tallahassee
Cool pic! A pipe can be hasher than a cigar but I think alot of that has to do with puffing a pipe like it was a cigar. Gotta sip or the tongue bit and nic hit can be brutal! @Tallahassee if curiosity gets the better of you give me a shout I'll hook you up with a sampler. I think I can handle it...
View attachment 7509450
View attachment 7509451

Nice collection!!! I wanted to try some of the Frog Morton’s but never got around to it. Heard they closed up the business a few years ago

Reactions: nikonNUT
Nice collection!!! I wanted to try some of the Frog Morton’s but never got around to it. Heard they closed up the business a few years ago
Thank you! There are several tins that are old enough to buy themselves a drink and I am a huge McClelland whore! Darkstar??? Yes please!!! Sadly you are correct that McClelland called it quits when the FDA were being dicks about certifying everything via a long and expensive process for every blend/cigar that a maker needed a blessing for. That blue tin is their 40th Anniversary and was their last hurrah. It was released in 2017 just before Mike and Mary decided not to deal with the FDA and said good bye. I find it sad that the greats are slowly calling its quits.

Last edited:
Reactions: koobs84
My local shop called and told me their Christmas party was on and they had some goodies for me. Headed out and grabbed these. New Forbidden X Passion series and Rare Pink stuff. The other? Just some dog rocket the owner gifted me. 🤣🤣🤣 Some of these die on New Year’s Eve!
C03FBC6B-BE9A-4000-ACAB-FA73223983F7.jpeg

Edited for a a clearer picture...

Attachments

• B8D5BB6B-42C5-461E-AB76-6FF6E5C623F9.jpeg
    B8D5BB6B-42C5-461E-AB76-6FF6E5C623F9.jpeg
    664.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My local shop called and told me their Christmas party was on and they had some goodies for me. Headed out and grabbed these. New Forbidden X Passion series and new Rare Pink stuff. The other? Just some dog rocket! 🤣🤣🤣 some these die on New Year’s Eve!
View attachment 7510994
Nice score! I’ve been trying to track down bbmf this year with no luck.

Nice score! I’ve been trying to track down bbmf this year with no luck.
Kind of a grail cigar right there. The only place I've ever seem them was at Casa Fuente (Forbidden X version) and I wasn't down with the $90.00/stick price tag! Have you checked Tampa Sweethearts? The one I chase is the Don Arturo line!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wulf
Kind of a grail cigar right there. The only place I've ever seem them was at Casa Fuente (Forbidden X version) and I wasn't down with the $90.00/stick price tag! Have you checked Tampa Sweethearts?
I have a story of 2015 forbidden that I’ve been hoarding. I found a box of bbmf but they won’t sell a stick only the full box at $750. I draw the line at a box of 10 for $400 lol

I have a story of 2015 forbidden that I’ve been hoarding. I found a box of bbmf but they won’t sell a stick only the full box at $750. I draw the line at a box of 10 for $400 lol
I hear that! And at $40.00/stick they had better be pretty special! My last spend like that was for a box of Cohiba Siglo VIs...

Last edited:
I’ve wanted to try this cigar. How was it?
I had to try to find a price before I answered that question. For $16, I would say one could find something better for the money. It was good, but not $16 good. When the wife brought me a coffee, she said it smelled really good, so that was a plus. But, I don't think its box worthy.

View attachment 7509450
View attachment 7509451
lol, expect a pm. No need for anything like boveda? Just store them in the tins?

lol, expect a pm. No need for anything like boveda? Just store them in the tins?
Usually you leave it in unopened tins to age until it’s time. Once you open it you need to put the tobacco in airtight containers and control humidity the same way as for cigars. Putting it in the same humidor with cigars can be a problem if it is heavily flavored or strong as the flavors can leach across to the cigars some. I know some of the Drew Estate cigars can do this too. I just keep it stored separately. Pipes need to be stored to dry out after each use. Petty much anywhere.

Pipes can look a bit nerdy and there are some weird dudes in that subculture for sure. But there are some magnificent tobaccos that only come in that form and are worth experiencing.

Last edited:
As @lash said pipe tobacco can stay tinned up until use. Once I pop a tin its contents go into a a 4 oz mason jar for storage. I do the same with bulk. Comes out of the vacuum sealed bag and into mason jars for aging. Just like cigars pipe tobacco keeps fermenting and getting better.

Usually you leave it in unopened tins to age until it’s time. Once you open it you need to put the tobacco in airtight containers and control humidity the same way as for cigars. Putting it in the same humidor with cigars can be a problem if it is heavily flavored or strong as the flavors can leach across to the cigars some. I know some of the Drew Estate cigars can do this too. I just keep it stored separately. Pipes need to be stored to dry out after each use. Petty much anywhere.

Pipes can look a bit nerdy and there are some weird dudes in that subculture for sure. But there are some magnificent tobaccos that only come in that form and are worth experiencing.
"Butternut Burley" comes to mind...man that was a good pipe blend...

If your pipe tobacco dries out you can rehydrate it with a little orange peel or a slice of apple. It’ll flavour it a little, but better than having no baccy!

Reactions: Tallahassee
If your pipe tobacco dries out you can rehydrate it with a little orange peel or a slice of apple. It’ll flavour it a little, but better than having no baccy!
It’s happened to me more than once. You can use a 60 something percent Boveda pack to get it back. There are also little hydration pucks you put distilled water in that work very well for rehydration or keeping it where it should be. I have also heard of using shards of terra cotta that have been soaked overnight. That’s old school depression era stuff, never tried that but I’m sure it will work fine.

Now I just protect my stash up front with a jar and a plan.

Thinking of picking up a few Cornell and Diehl to try out. Black Duck, Briar Fox, and Purple Cow sound a bit interesting.

Thought about trying Haunted Bookstore but seen reviews that said it reminded them of cigarettes. Not a fan of cigarettes...