• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cigar thread 2.0

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Well, it's that time of year again, and I figure it's a great opportunity to start a "What Are You Smoking" thread. Post up what you've smoked recently for cigars (pictures included) along with what you paired it with, tasting notes, etc.

Tonight I'm enjoying a Padron 1964 Maduro, if I remember right, the size is an Exclusivo. Fantastic cigar, behaved perfectly and a great end to the day which earlier on included a trip to Boothbay Harbor, Maine, with a Maine Shore Dinner and two dozen domestic oysters on the half shell of various types.

I'm a little rusty on tasting notes, but this cigar was rich with lots of sweet Maduro notes, a bit like macadamia nuts at times, and plenty of pepper.

I paired it with a gin and tonic, a refreshing drink in this hot weather.

Reactions: Soulezoo
I had an Oliva Series G at the golf course today. Just a last minute smoke available in the pro shop. Forgot to grab one from the humidor on my way there.

I try to have a cigar about 2 times a month but I never picked up on the "notes" terms so I wont even try to explain other than it was a smooth mild smoke.

Last edited:
Haven't smoked in a while, but the 64 exclusivo maduro is one of my go-to smokes. Never fails to satisfy, and really a good price for what you're getting.

I found the illusione epernays to be similar in flavor, and a few bucks less. They work in a pinch.

Ashton VSG is my absolute favorite. I've been smoking some Diesel cigars lately. The last was an Unholy and it was tasty. I usually smoke one with a nice IPA or any whiskey/scotch.

Hmmmmm...

Diesel
Gurkha Maduro Vintage Shaggy, Vintage Legend, Fury
La Gloria Cubana Series, R, and N
Kristoff Maduro Ligero
Essencia
La Flor Dominicana L, DL series
Joya de Nicaragua Anteno 72, Dark Anteno
Liga Privada T52, Undercrown
Illusione 88

I think that covers back to about mid semester or so...

Notes on Storage:

If you are storing and smoking out of the same box, you might want to think about a conditioning box. Also, time of year, and weather play havoc on your humidors.
Winter: Rh dumps into nothingness, your humidors will fight to maintain between 68 - 73Rh, 68* - 72* where you should be storing your expensive hobby/habit
Summer: Rh rockets up right along with temperature, and you see your humidor trying to exceed both that 72* and 73Rh on an hourly basis each day. Summer demands more attention to this than winter.
Conditioning for smoking: Get a small 50ct box, and set it up for 58Rh. Only place those cigars that you are going to be smoking in the next three days here. If you have a daily, go ahead and place one each day for that third day. This will allow your cigar to 'dry' a bit. This allows it to burn more evenly, it allows more flavor and taste notes to be recognized, and it burns smoother as well as cooler

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky1
If people go to all the trouble to properly prepare a cigar's humidity, how long does it take for that humidity to be changed by the environment out side of the humidor? I realize that the relative humidity and outside temperature will make a difference in how fast a cigar either dries out, or takes on more humidity. What I'm wondering is whether a properly prepared cigar will loose that moisture content within 4-6 hours. Obviously, a sealed tube will keep the moisture content better than an unwrapped cigar laying in a glove box, or in a golf bag.

Does it really matter all that much?

If people go to all the trouble to properly prepare a cigar's humidity, how long does it take for that humidity to be changed by the environment out side of the humidor? I realize that the relative humidity and outside temperature will make a difference in how fast a cigar either dries out, or takes on more humidity. What I'm wondering is whether a properly prepared cigar will loose that moisture content within 4-6 hours. Obviously, a sealed tube will keep the moisture content better than an unwrapped cigar laying in a glove box, or in a golf bag.

Does it really matter all that much?

It's not a condition of the outside environment, but a CONTROLLED environment to take a properly stored cigar, then condition it for smoking. Moving the cigar from it's 65%Rh - 72%Rh environment to a lesser 58% takes about three to four days depending on ring gauge. What this does is insure your cigar is not drying out, but only dropping it's moisture content to a slightly drier state throughout. This only happens in a controlled condition box, or case.
Leaving a cigar in an open environment to 'dry out so I can smoke it allows the cigar to dry too rapidly. This causes the wrapper to crack, it causes uneven moisture content throughout, and it can affect the flavor of the cigar as well.
A sealed tube cigar will lose it's even moisture in about six months or so if left en tubo. This is the reason all tubed, and cedar wrapped cigars I receive are stored sans tube or wrap. I initially did not believe a cigar in a tube would lose moisture and crack upon smoking, so I tested theory back in 2005 in the second year of my business. Sure enough, smoking a damp cigar right from the manufacturer, right out of the tube was a mistake. It became acidic at the 2/3 point and had to be tossed because the excess moisture in the tube would not allow the cigar to breathe during smoking and the acidic residue collected extremely fast and ruined the smoke. A 3 month tubo smoked pretty well, all the way to it's nub. A 6 month tubo, well, it cracked at about 1/2" of burn when the flavor started getting really good. From there, the more I drew on it, the more the wrapper cracked, so I tossed it because it was being a total pain in the ass. I do not know about you, but I smoke a cigar to relax and BS while relaxing. If it becomes work, I toss it and find a go to and light that up. MY go-to happens to be the Ghurka Shaggy. You're may be something else. It is the one single cigar, that no matter what, burns evenly, has good flavor, and good smoke each and every time you light it.

A properly stored cigar, left to air dry, will burn unevenly after 4 - 6 hours due to the wrapper and filler not drying evenly or holding the same Rh. I take my cigars that I want to smoke on Saturday or Sunday, and place them in a cedar case without a humistat the morning of the day I will smoke it. These are removed from their Conditioning Humidor where Rh is set at a nice even 58%

I hope I have given you the information you were looking for

Reactions: raider1v1
Switchblade,
Thanks very much for the info. Of course we have no control over the environment outside of the humidor. My inquiry was mostly because I was wondering about taking a cigar (or a few) out of the humidor prior to a trip fishing, or hunting for a couple/few days.

Your information sort of confirms my completely untested and unscientific (SWAG) guess that if a cigar is removed from the humidor and put into a tube for a short time (day or two, out of the direct sun or other idiotic place to store it), the moisture content won't be horribly effected. In other words, the smoke won't be ruined by waiting a day or a few outside of the humidor if reasonable care is taken. It would be a shame to wreck a nice $10 cigar out of negligence. But I suppose if someone has enough money to toss their expensive cigars on the dashboard of their Lamborghini and leave it unprotected in the sun, that is their business.

For a few days such as your fishing trip, sans dedicated condition box, try this:

Rubbermaid sandwich container(7" x 7" - 2" to 4" deep)
1" x 1" x 1/2" sponge
Distilled water
sandwich bag
hole punch

dampen sponge with distilled water
punch holes in sandwich bag(2 is fine)
put sponge in sandwich bag
fold so hole is on top, exposing sponge to interior of rubbermaid container
Put cigars in, close it up. Just make sure it doesn't get banged around. The amount of humidity given off by that little sponge is enough to not allow drying out, but maintaining good condition for about five or six days

Finding myself north of the border, I had the opportunity to enjoy a cigar from the island south of Miami.

This particular cigar is a H. Upmann Magnum 46, which if memory serves is a 46 ring gauge by 5.5" stick. This one was from a 2005 box, so it is the oldest cigar I have smoked, to my knowledge.

The cigar smoked beautifully. It was quite mild, too mild for my tastes really, but still very enjoyable. It started with just a hint of coco, but that flavor grew much richer after the first couple inches of ash fell. Despite the mild character, it was hard not to appreciate the mature, understated character of this cigar.

I had initially paired it with a pour of Blantons, but that was a terrible combination so I switched to a Plymouth gin Martini, which was an enjoyable combination.

I favor strong cigars, but can see this as being the perfect gateway cigar. Or maybe a post breakfast cigar with black cofee.

Reactions: JustinTX
Ive been smoking a bit more recently, but just cant bring myself to smoke a cigar alone anymore. Luckily I have a few buddies who enjoy them, but it seems harder and harder to get together with them.

Had a Kristoff Maduro shaggy foot the other night that was awesome.
Had a Liga Privada #9 Belicoso over Memorial Day weekend that was simply ridiculous
Had a Padron 26th 40th anniversary at the horse track a few weeks ago that was awesome. My first Padron 26th and I am sure not my last. I think this one had 5+ years on it in a humidor.

Nothing else of note lately that I have had, just some odds and ends out of my humidor.

BM11 I still have those 5 Power Rangers out of that box. Im almost afraid to smoke one. Maybe this weekend for my birthday ill get one out.

Ive been smoking a bit more recently, but just cant bring myself to smoke a cigar alone anymore. Luckily I have a few buddies who enjoy them, but it seems harder and harder to get together with them.

Had a Kristoff Maduro shaggy foot the other night that was awesome.
Had a Liga Privada #9 Belicoso over Memorial Day weekend that was simply ridiculous
Had a Padron 26th 40th anniversary at the horse track a few weeks ago that was awesome. My first Padron 26th and I am sure not my last. I think this one had 5+ years on it in a humidor.

Nothing else of note lately that I have had, just some odds and ends out of my humidor.

BM11 I still have those 5 Power Rangers out of that box. Im almost afraid to smoke one. Maybe this weekend for my birthday ill get one out.

They aren't scary. If you handled the 40th Anniversary, the Opus X Belicoso is no problem... Or am I just trying to talk you into trying one?

I almost had one. Needed a good night of sleep and didn't want the nicotine, so smoked this Siglo V (in Canada where legal, of course,) instead.

Fantastic cigar. I know Switchblade is not a fan, but I found this cigar to be rich, smooth, and delicious. The flavor is tough to place, something sweet, but a truly great smoke.

I paired with a Sidecar. A questionable choice, it seemed like a better idea than it was in practice. The two didn't compliment each other.

-BM

I had a San Latano Maduro box press tonight. It was decent overall. It was recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Kristoff Maduro. Cheaper yes, alternative, I dont know. For an $8 cigar I would smoke it again. If I really want a good maduro, ill stick with the Kristoff which, so far, is my favorite maduro. I have a box of Camacho 6/60 maduro's that are pretty good though.

I had a San Latano Maduro box press tonight. It was decent overall. It was recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Kristoff Maduro. Cheaper yes, alternative, I dont know. For an $8 cigar I would smoke it again. If I really want a good maduro, ill stick with the Kristoff which, so far, is my favorite maduro. I have a box of Camacho 6/60 maduro's that are pretty good though.

Damn, you've got me craving a Kristoff Maduro! I just so happen to have one in the humidor...

...And then had 20 minutes to kill while the fresh mussels for dinner soaked, so I decided to smoke a Padron Corticos. Wow, what a flavorful little smoke! Loads of rich, creamy Padron goodness in each draw.

ginandbehike007_zps69fd1e8e.jpg

Mmm, you bastards had to mention the Kristoff Maduro...I have been craving one of those since last week, but gave the Las Calveras DonR posted up a try instead. Neither of us had one until then so I figured why not. Could really go for the Kristoff or my old stand by, the Liga Privada #9, right about now.

Guess there is a cigar in order for tonight.

Never have seen that Padron.

Alec Bradley OB Tempus. Mild, little bit of nut and a peppery finish, not bad.

sTiRL4D.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Going camping this weekend so I picked up a couple decent cigars for me and some buddies.

2x Fuente Anejo #50's
1x Oliva Serie V Figurado

Going to bring a Fuente XXX Power Ranger and a couple other cheap sticks for other people.

We smoked the Fuente Anejo's and the Oliva this weekend. My buddy loved the Oliva and said it was one of the best cigars he has ever had. The Fuente were typical Anejo with a perfect burn all the way and great flavor.

Nice! My cigar of the weekend:

Edit:

Not too impressive up to the halfway point. I cut more off the cap, and WOW, totally different cigar. MUCH more rich.

Last edited:
Love me some Cohibas... Some of these sticks look really nice though. I'm gonna have to give them a shot.

Man O' War Ruination Robusto #1 and Bulleit bourbon, neat. Before this, a Liga #9. The weather is beautiful, rocking chair is comfortable and I've got nothing to do so I may dig out another one before the night is over.

Well, it's that time of year again, and I figure it's a great opportunity to start a "What Are You Smoking" thread. Post up what you've smoked recently for cigars (pictures included) along with what you paired it with, tasting notes, etc.

Tonight I'm enjoying a Padron 1964 Maduro, if I remember right, the size is an Exclusivo. Fantastic cigar, behaved perfectly and a great end to the day which earlier on included a trip to Boothbay Harbor, Maine, with a Maine Shore Dinner and two dozen domestic oysters on the half shell of various types.

I'm a little rusty on tasting notes, but this cigar was rich with lots of sweet Maduro notes, a bit like macadamia nuts at times, and plenty of pepper.

I paired it with a gin and tonic, a refreshing drink in this hot weather.

PAM's are fantastic mellow and just yummy. I only have about a half box of them left and love them believe it or not with iced cofee.

Just finished monte cristo media noche #2. Love this mandro with Three fingers of knob creek with distilled 3 cubes