• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Clean between strings when load developing?

wayno1

Private
Minuteman
Rem700 PSS .308 24" bbl, 1/12"
168gr Sierra SMK, Fed BR210, Varget, FC and LC match brass.

Refining loads and comparing brass. Am going to be shooting about 5-6 strings, ie, 10 rds each brass; LC match and FC match, groups of 10 seated to 2.82 for each brass, and .010 off the lands for each brass.
Starting with 10 rds of FC reloaded to 43.0 grains @ 2.82 OAL to foul the barrel. Hook up the chrono and go ten rounds again with same load.
The back off to 43.7 gr for the LC match cases since they are thicker (using NRA formula)

Don't want to clean between strings as I don't want to have to refoul unless that is THE thing to do.

Would a wet Hoppe's patch or wet SLP 2000 (only to push stuff out of the barrel, no back n forth) followed by a a some dry patches to clean things out enough for consistency or not even bother for 50-60 rounds? Plan to cool barrel 1 minute between shots.

thanks for the input!

Wayne

Don't waste your time. Just shoot until it does not shoot good anymore. I am at 250ish on my new barrel without cleaning and it keeps getting better.

Yeah, I plan to shoot mine dirty so I do load development dirty also. I have over 300 since last cleaning with no difference in accuracy.

Assuming 6 sets of 10 rounds, I'd fire round-robin at 6 different targets . . . and clean after rounds 3 and 6 (or 4 and 7).

If a match is 60 shots for record, I'll need a load that does well fouled, so it doesn't seem to make sense to develop for another condition.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Twoboxer...no disrespect, but I don't think round robin is a good way to go. Each load is going to foul differently, so you need to shoot all of one load before moving on to the next.

My shooting regimen dictates that my 'score' shots come out of a dirty, fouled barrel. I have decided that if a load isn't tested under the same/similar conditions (as) it's intended for, barrel heating difference,s and maybe other factors, will likely limit the success of the development process.

I have not cleaned my match rifle since the season began. Cleaning a rifle during development means it needs to refouled again before it will shoot true.

I shoot round robin because I am shooting the same powder and bullet regardless of charge weight, so fouling characteristics differences between charge groups should be negligible, and it distributes the effects of barrel heating among the groups. I fully expect groups that include rounds shot from a cooler barrel will be different, so I spread that difference to reduce its significance.

Ideally, I could start with a heating/fouling sequence prior to shooting groups, but the current supply environment could make such practices frivolous.

Greg

Last edited: