• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Cleaning a sealed can with Stainless Media

varmint slayer

Area 419 OG
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
NE, WY
Anybody tried pouring stainless tumbling media in a sealed can like a 30P-1 and a little lemon shine and water mix, then capped the ends and let it roll or in a tumbler for a few hours? I'm thinking of doing this to mine because it is almost 10oz over the new weight and weighs a ton. Just soaking it in CLR or any carbon cleaner isn't going to cut it or at least not very fast. Let me know if you have or can think of any reason not to try this. I plan to either weigh all the pins before and after to make sure I have got them all out.

I would advise against it as ensuring all pins are out of it could be a real pain. Try the CLR soak and maybe a few minutes in the Ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. You could probably use the dip pretty effectively on the can, but I do not know if it would harm the exterior finish as I only use it on my 22 cans.

What powder / caliber are you using the can on that it's building up so much crud inside of you can?

TBAC does offer a cleaning service as well. I'm not sure what their current suggested "safe" methods are but I would be cautious about straying outside of their approved cleaning methods.

Last edited:
10 oz will take repeated soaking cycles in one or more of the various acidic cleaning solutions like CLR and the dip. All of these will soften the carbon up and eventually float it away, but you can accelerate the process with pressurized air or water or by simply shaking the can with solution in it at the end of each soak cycle. Even forcing tap water water through it helps. If you can figure out a way to rig up a pressure washer, it is very effective. I would not use the stainless media in fear that a one or more pins could get lodged in the can and then come out upon firing - I expect that this would be very bad for can and barrel.

BTW, I have heard from two good sources that there is some advantage to alternating the soaking solution between CLR and the Dip. I've not used Lemon Shine, but I expect that it would work fine as it is a citric acid based cleaner.

I would advise against it as ensuring all pins are out of it could be a real pain. Try the CLR soak and maybe a few minutes in the Ultrasonic cleaner if you have one. You could probably use the dip pretty effectively on the can, but I do not know if it would harm the exterior finish as I only use it on my 22 cans.

What powder / caliber are you using the can on that it's building up so much crud inside of you can?

TBAC does offer a cleaning service as well. I'm not sure what their current suggested "safe" methods are but I would be cautious about straying outside of their approved cleaning methods.

This can has seen about 6500 rounds of .243 with H1000 for powder. Zak has offered to clean it several times but I know there has to be a way I can tackle this myself. I know how TBAC cleans them and it's nothing outside the realm of what a guy can do at home. They use a pressure washer with a little nozzle they built to spray inside the baffles. I would even buy a nozzle they built for a pressure washer if they would sell me one.

I think if a guy sat down and counted every pin he put into the can a made sure that every pin was accounted for upon flushing it out then I don't really see any other down side other than the counting.

I think if a guy sat down and counted every pin he put into the can a made sure that every pin was accounted for upon flushing it out then I don't really see any other down side other than the counting.

...but what do you do if you get done and you're a pin short? Maybe you miscounted. Maybe its on the floor. Maybe its in the can.

...but what do you do if you get done and you're a pin short? Maybe you miscounted. Maybe its on the floor. Maybe its in the can.
That's a good point. Guess I'll have to count them twice and maybe weigh them to for some added protection. I plan to flush everything into a bucket so the chance of a pin getting away from me is reduced. Not eliminated but highly reduced.

Actually, you could find someone with a borescope. I have a friend with one and we have checked out a few of our cans with it to see how effective our cleaning techniques are. I'm pretty sure you would be able to see a SS pin, but if it was lodged in there I don't know what you could do about it.

DO NOT put stainless media in your fucking suppressor.... Get an ultra sonic cleaner and run it over and over and then rinse over and over.

It's ideas like this that end up being those warning signs later, like dont stick your hand in a wood chipper... Cause some jackass years ago thought he could cut his finger nails with one.

I have heard from many sources including TBAC that an ultrasonic on a sealed can is a waist of time. I can't confirm or deny but so far everything they have told me about the various things they have tried as far as solutions goes has been spot on with what I have seen. No they didn't recommend SS tumbling but I really think out would work well if you can get all the pins out.

Actually, you could find someone with a borescope. I have a friend with one and we have checked out a few of our cans with it to see how effective our cleaning techniques are. I'm pretty sure you would be able to see a SS pin, but if it was lodged in there I don't know what you could do about it.
I have access to a bore scope and planned on using it if I go this route.

What is your concern with a can filled with carbon? Is it loud or is weight the concern. Either way I would not put any solid foreign object inside your can. If you need it cleaned I would plug the end cap and fill it with bore tech or send it to TB.

Keep on Keeping on Varmint. If your pin size is small enough so as to pass through the tolerances of baffle and bullet. I see no real problem. I have had a baffle strike on my 30-p1. Which I believe is more violent than a small stainless pin. Now that being said if you use large thick media, it could be catastrophic.

What is your concern with a can filled with carbon? Is it loud or is weight the concern. Either way I would not put any solid foreign object inside your can. If you need it cleaned I would plug the end cap and fill it with bore tech or send it to TB.
Mainly the weight Gump. Suppression is suffering a hair but mainly it's a tank. I may end up trying to build an air nozzle type deal to stick down in it to help blast some of the loosened carbon out. I know a pressure washer would be the best but I'll have to try the air first. I have a pressure washer at the house but it needs a little repair.

What I have thought about doing but never the chance...

I would get a garden hose attachment and figure how to attach a small 10" x.250 pipe. Preferably made out of aluminum or brass. Along the sides of this I would drill tiny maybe 1/16th holes. Oh and cap opposite hose end.

This attached to a garden hose would be fairly similar to a high pressure washer for inside baffles. It would make a mess but I expect it to clean well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad idea.

If the tube is cleaning chemical / solvent compatible use them. "The Dip" in an ultrasonic cleaner would be an interesting combo but it alone and repeat soak and flush cycles should clean it out.

Bad idea.

If the tube is cleaning chemical / solvent compatible use them. "The Dip" in an ultrasonic cleaner would be an interesting combo but it alone and repeat soak and flush cycles should clean it out.
It's titanium so it's good to go on solvent but I can tell you from experience just on this can alone that just soaking in solvent alone and flushing with no special tooling isn't going to cut it or at least not in any reasonable time frame.

Take a guess at how much carbon you think this is in this pic in ounces. I had to scrape all of that out with a pick and that's just barely past the threads of the can. I'll give you a hint and tell you it's probably nowhere near what you think.
186033e57b2c6b32aaf3c4f7a1ec6c28.jpg

What I have thought about doing but never the chance...

I would get a garden hose attachment and figure how to attach a small 10" x.250 pipe. Preferably made out of aluminum or brass. Along the sides of this I would drill tiny maybe 1/16th holes. Oh and cap opposite hose end.

This attached to a garden hose would be fairly similar to a high pressure washer for inside baffles. It would make a mess but I expect it to clean well.

I have thought about this same idea but for a power washer. Use 1/4" stainless tubing and should be good to go for any pressure that power washer can put out. It would be nice I I could measure the distance to and in between each baffle so I could drill holes accordingly to make sure the spray is being directed in the right places.

Some other company use to make something very similar

Tactical innovations

I would imagine water hose pressure through several 1/16 holes would be mighty strong

I wouldn't even get that technical as to separation of baffles just evenly spaced and somewhat in a spiral motion to reach all the nooks

If you want to get to all the nooks, angle the holes forward. You don't need a lot of holes. I use 2, but one will do. Rotate the can as you insert the nozzle. A firm grip on the can will keep it from launching.

Maybe you should call Zak and ask him if stainless media in your suppressor is a good idea. I think he would void any and all warranties for that.

In actuality you may be a reasonable person but this has got to be the craziest thing I have heard in a long time. DO NOT put any media in your suppressor, period. You will never be able to get it all out I can promise you that.
Who has the time to sit around and count stainless media pieces? How do you plan on moving the media in between the baffles?

I have suppressors with over 10k round fired on them. Never have done anything more then plug up one end and fill it with vinegar, it gets enough out to make a difference. Let it soak for 24 hours.

In actuality you may be a reasonable person but this has got to be the craziest thing I have heard in a long time. DO NOT put any media in your suppressor, period. You will never be able to get it all out I can promise you that.
Who has the time to sit around and count stainless media pieces? How do you plan on moving the media in between the baffles?

I have suppressors with over 10k round fired on them. Never have done anything more then plug up one end and fill it with vinegar, it gets enough out to make a difference. Let it soak for 24 hours.

lol I am a reasonable person but just trying to think outside the box a bit. I haven't done this yet so no harm no foul. My problem is it's so dirty (25oz or almost 9oz over new weight) that soaking alone isn't going to do much for me in a reasonable time frame. Just looking to speed the process up a bit. I really like the water nozzle idea and have been trying to get the parts rounded up to make one for my pressure washer at the house. I think that is the best and safest bet really.

I used CLR and let it sit over night and then ran the jet and man did it clean out some crap. I had like 10K of 300 blackout through it, mine weight like 10oz over new. It took a few tries but it is now closer to 3oz over new

Is there a guideline for maintenance, Or is it common sense to clean a can before it gains a couple lbs? Seems a lil tlc every couple range sessions would make a guys life a lot easier.

Is there a guideline for maintenance, Or is it common sense to clean a can before it gains a couple lbs? Seems a lil tlc every couple range sessions would make a guys life a lot easier.
Yeah the guidelines for a sealed can are pretty much you don't need to clean it lol. Suppression levels are still pretty decent but man is it heavy. If I can get back to a manageable amount then yes dipping it every 500-1000 rounds wouldn't be a bad idea for keeping the weight down. Its the H1000 that is the killer. I know guys with 2 times as many rounds through a 30P-1 with H4350 and Varget and such and they are only like 3-4 oz over and never cleaned them.

I don't think SS media is the best option but my SS media has some magnetic properties and I use that to get it out of some brass.

Maybe this could help. A pump up sprayer mine has a brass wand cap the end or braze closed drill small holes. Pump up good to go.

I'll see about making a video, it will be a week or so, but the water comes out in a strong stream depends on you water pressure.

Yeah the guidelines for a sealed can are pretty much you don't need to clean it lol. Suppression levels are still pretty decent but man is it heavy. If I can get back to a manageable amount then yes dipping it every 500-1000 rounds wouldn't be a bad idea for keeping the weight down. Its the H1000 that is the killer. I know guys with 2 times as many rounds through a 30P-1 with H4350 and Varget and such and they are only like 3-4 oz over and never cleaned them.

That has been my experience. Lots of Ramshot Tac and H4350 and my can hasn't really gained much weight at all. Which is why I have never felt the need to clean it. I've never used H1000. Maybe if I had I would be motivated to clean it. I almost bought some last night but bought the H4831SC instead. I've never used it. Hope it doesn't clog things up like H1000 did to you.

Those little SS Media pins will find a way to wedge themselves alongside the baffles, or in one of the vent holes for sure. If you've got a pin wedged in the 4th baffle of 6 or something, how are you going to manage to dislodge it. Unless you've got one of those flexible surgical scopes with the cameras and forceps inside the scope, you're screwed, till that pin dislodges under recoil or something. No to media in the can...

SLIP 2000 Carbon Cutter..................................just sayin......works for me! If a SS pin can get stuck in a flash hole..............................

Last edited:
I've had really good results using Simple Green cut 50/50 with water in an ultrasonic cleaner. Try and run the can through about every 1000 rounds, have seen accuracy issues if I don't clean it. Recently found a carbon cleaner (Schaeffer's Citrol degreaser) that I spray in and it foams up the whole inside. I'll let it sit over night then into the ultrasonic cleaner for 2-3 hours. Only down side with the ultrasonic cleaner is the finish on the outside of the can gets degraded, little high temp paint solves that problem.

How I clean mine:

1. weight the 30p-1 on a food or postal scale

2. stick foam earplug in the exit/bore hole.

3. fill with CLR and let sit for a few days

4. rinse with warm water

5. let can internals dry-I accelerate this process in the oven

6. re-weigh your completely dry suppressor

7. repeat steps 1-6 until your can is close to completely clean
or…. 17 ozs. +/-

*I think Zak at TBAC said you will never be able to get it back to the original
16 oz. weight.

I clean mine once a year. More so, if I am shooting H1000

How I clean mine:

1. weight the 30p-1 on a food or postal scale

2. stick foam earplug in the exit/bore hole.

3. fill with CLR and let sit for a few days

4. rinse with warm water

5. let can internals dry-I accelerate this process in the oven

6. re-weigh your completely dry suppressor

7. repeat steps 1-6 until your can is close to completely clean
or…. 17 ozs. +/-

*I think Zak at TBAC said you will never be able to get it back to the original
16 oz. weight.

I clean mine once a year. More so, if I am shooting H1000

That's pretty much what I am and have been doing but like I said this puppy is so far gone its going to take more that just soak and rinse. I made a nozzle to go down into the can that hooks on to the end of a pressure washer to spray in there and maybe dislodge a bit of carbon here and there. Just need to change try holes to little smaller and less of them and should be good to go.

What about Carbon removers, specifically Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, in a sealed suppressor and ultrasonic activated cleaning units? I've never seen anything strip carbon like Carbon Killer, but I have missed any mention of its use to clean suppressors....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD