• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cleaning and POI Shift?

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
Hello,

I know that when you clean a rifle, rimfire especially, the POA shifts until it is shot back in.

I cleaned mine a few days ago - just a bore snake coated with CLP in front of the brush - and put a total of two rounds through it later in order to kill a 'possum raiding some stuff. Not long distance.

I went to shoot it today, to confirm zero. Put 20 rounds or so down the tube, and it was shooting way off.

Normally I use an aiming point the size of this "<span style="font-weight: bold">O</span>" at 50 yards, if I do my part, within five shots the dot will be gone.

However, it was shooting way to the right.

So I shot it a few more times. Still didn't come back on target, so I adjusted the 'scope.

In the course of adjusting the 'scope, I expended about 50 rounds. Only then did it come back to the previous zero.

I was under the impression that these should come back to zero after cleaning within 20 rounds max. Am I missing something? This is the first time I've used CLP - maybe it has some properties I don't know about?

What gives?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Re: Cleaning and POI Shift?

I simply use a light coat of Kroil in my 22LR, almost nothing.
CLP and all other heavier oils requires a $hit-load of rounds to get back to proper accuracy, or a few dry patches before shooting.
Since I always seem to forget to dry the bore before shooting, I chose to only use a thin coat of Kroil (that basically pretty much vaporize before you shoot).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten your scope up. </div></div>
Not that I enjoy underlying the obvious, but a scope that is lose does not return and stay to zero after a certain amount of rounds. This is a Clean&Slick bore issue that affects 22LR firearms.
Unfortunately, what with certerfire ammo takes just a few rounds, with 22LR can take an aweful amount of them, especially if too slick oils have been used in the bore.

I have had them take as much as a 70-100 rounds to shoot like they did before I cleaned them. I no longer clean the barrels, just the chambers and the actions. FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had them take as much as a 70-100 rounds to shoot like they did before I cleaned them. I no longer clean the barrels, just the chambers and the actions. FWIW </div></div>
That would be the right thing to do with 22LR firearms. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to leave dirty firearms around, that is a big limit of mine.

All I do to clean mine...and I only worry about the big stuff...is blast the chamber and barrel with some gunscrub and give it a blast with a blowgun.Removes the large crud and buildup but doesn't seem to take out fouling.POI doesn't change either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inline 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had them take as much as a 70-100 rounds to shoot like they did before I cleaned them. I no longer clean the barrels, just the chambers and the actions. FWIW </div></div>
That would be the right thing to do with 22LR firearms. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to leave dirty firearms around, that is a big limit of mine.
</div></div>

I understand completely it has taken me a long time to make myself do that. It is about what the gun wants more then what you want. If you read the instruction books on the Annies and they tell you to clean the barrel every 10000 rounds (yes I typed correctly TEN THOUSAND ROUNDS). As long as the action and chamber is clean I don’t have any problems. FWIW

I clean my match guns after every shoot. The thing that I do maybe different is after cleaning I push patches thru the bore till dry. The first shot on a cold bore shoots at a different poi ....second shot is usually back in where I sighted in. I normally shoot either of my annies,or Rem 37,sometimes BSA mk 3. This is what has worked for me. 45/70SS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4570sharpshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I clean my match guns after every shoot. The thing that I do maybe different is after cleaning I push patches thru the bore till dry. The first shot on a cold bore shoots at a different poi ....second shot is usually back in where I sighted in. I normally shoot either of my annies,or Rem 37,sometimes BSA mk 3. This is what has worked for me. 45/70SS</div></div>

I agree. That's what i do too. But if i'm lazy i use a boresnake or those VFG pellet things

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tighten your scope up. </div></div>
Not that I enjoy underlying the obvious, but a scope that is lose does not return and stay to zero after a certain amount of rounds. This is a Clean&Slick bore issue that affects 22LR firearms.
Unfortunately, what with certerfire ammo takes just a few rounds, with 22LR can take an aweful amount of them, especially if too slick oils have been used in the bore.
</div></div>

Nonsense. Oil is not going to have any significant effect on the point of impact at any range that a .22 would be shot at.

If your point of impact is moving, either something is wrong with your rifle (crown, barrel is loose, bedding job, etc.) or your sighting system is jacked up.

It doesn't even make intuitive sense that oil would make any difference. Most .22 barrels out there are so full of lead and filth that it's a wonder any of them shoot decently. Oil is the least of their issues.

CLP contains teflon and should not be used in the bore of any gun. You can use a light coat of machine oil to oil the bore.
larryj