• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Brass: Sonic v Tumbler w/Stainless Stell Media

dariof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
So NV & So CA
I've read several posts here on The Hide concerning this. The general consensus was stainless steel media does a far better job than sonic cleaning.

But, does the stainless steel media have more abrasive qualities that will harm the brass.....

I've been looking at this system...http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

Last edited:
I use a Ultrasonic cleaner so I can only speak as too its abilities. It wont get the brass as "Bright" as SS Media but does a great job of cleaning inside the cases/primer pockets. If you find a good deal on the cleaning solution, stock up.

Stainless Steel Media... Stainless Steel Media.... Stainless Steel Media.... You will never go back, I promise. No, it does not work harden the brass. You'll be set with the Rebel 17 kit.

I have both and the SS is far better. I have a $1,200 US-cleaner and a free tumbler with about $30 worth of SS and I would take the SS over the US any day (for cleaning brass). US cleaners are best on removing grease and the like, they suck on carbon like we see on brass.

SS tumbling won't work harden the brass.
But if you let it tumble a long time you can sometimes find some peened/burred case mouths, especially if they are chamfered.
High Binder is correct, and it's clearly the best and most comfortable way of cleaning brass.

I tumble, FL size and trim it to length on the Giraud to take away any peened mouths and get nice bur free chamfers every firing.
Even length also helps ensure even neck tension.
And the trimmer makes the task a joy, no way i would do it on a hand crancked one.

My ultrasonic doesn't have any problem with carbon. I think all your giving up is a bit of shinyness.

Mine will clean completely a couple hundred rounds in 24 minutes inside and out.

For solution I just use 50 50 solution of white vinegar and water but I have to then dump them into a water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Personally works great for me.

Did the ultrasonic first and found stainless with a thumbler and I love it. SS all the way. Dish soap of your flavor and lemishine. Even makes the room smell good.

I have a vibratory tumbler and an ultra sonic cleaner. I have never messed with SS so I can't speak to that. I throw my nasty brass in the tumbler with some brass polish in the morning before work. When I get home (about 10-12 hours later) I knock out any media in the primer pockets and then it goes into the US with the Lyman cleaning solution and distilled water for 24-32 minutes (3-4, 8 minute cycles). The brass comes out pristine and retains the polished shininess that I love. I rinse the clean brass in distilled water and then lay them on a towel and dry them off with a heat gun. They are completely clean inside and out and stay shiny.

Stainless steel tumbler by any brand. I can do 150 cases in 2 hours a then let then dry in the oven at 150 for 10 to 15 minutes, then ready to load. You'll never want to clean brass any other way. Have never had stainless pins caught in primer pockets in 243, 260, 308 or higher calibers. Loaded 500 rounds of match rifle ammo this last weekend.

You'll love the results. I use Dawn dishwashing detergent (about a tablespoon full with a little Lemishine -- 9mm case full does the trick). Cold water.