• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cleaning chemicals

Re: Cleaning chemicals

Shooter's Choice
Butches Bore Shine
SWEET'S 7.62

Listed in approximate order of strength. Shooter's Choice is what I start with. How bad it is depends on what I go to next.

Whichever you use, DO NOT let it dry in the barrel. 3 different barrel makers have told me to keep it wet. When it drys it causes a chemical reaction with the steel.

I use Kroil for general cleaning, and PatchOut for copper, if necessary.
I bought KG-12, but I never tried it yet. That liquid is weird. It glides over cotton patches and does not soak them, like other oils/solvents do.

The reason I'm asking is I'm fixing to start a barrel break in. A f-class shooter here locally to my to use GM Top engine oil cleaner mixed with just enough Marvel Mystery oil to turn it purple. I'm assuming the Engine cleaner is for the carbon and the MM oil is for rust prevention. I got some Barnes CPX or what ever it's called Copper remover. What bout it.

In the shooting world, you ask 100 shooters, you get 100 different ways to clean a rifle.
Everyone of them is 100% positively certain that his method is the best too
wink.gif

+100 on that 100 shooters line.

I like keeping it simple and just use Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner. I had my doubts about something that worked so easy, but getting hold of a borescope on loan made a believer out of me.

Coupla soaks followed by patches precisely according to the instructions until a soak and patch cycle comes out clean. If you're feeling especially anal, do it again the following day.

Borescope says that when the patches come out clean, the bore <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> clean.

There's a sorta ground swell these days that suggests that cleaning bores frequently is anal, excessive, and perhaps even harmful. Hey, for all I know, they could be absolutely right.

But what I do know is this; the Outer's Foam is so quick and easy, it makes no sense to me to skip the cleaning in the first place.

Whatever you do, if the bore's dirty and might get left to sit for more than a day or two without cleaning...; take a moment to leave a coat of oil in the bore to forestall pitting.

Just safer that way...

Greg

PS ...Oh, and about that break-in... If it's an aftermarket premium barrel, break-in is a waste of time; and unless all you're doing is shooting your usual bullets and cleaning, could even be harmful and void warranties. I no longer favor abrasives.

If it's a Plain-Jane factory barrel, break-in might have some value; but after about one or two hundred rounds down the tube, with or without break-in, I doubt anyone could tell whether you did or you didn't. Under those circumstances, I say, why bother?

I used to be a break-in proponent, and had even developed a low effort, low impact method. But these days, I just don't feel much more than lukewarm about the subject.

Slip 2000 carbon killer for the Carbon .

Aqueous Ammonia with some lanolin mixed in for the copper or just good old <span style="font-weight: bold">Wipe Out </span>left overnight .

[quote=Greg Langelius
PS ...Oh, and about that break-in... If it's an aftermarket premium barrel, break-in is a waste of time; and unless all you're doing is shooting your usual bullets and cleaning, could even be harmful and void warranties. I no longer favor abrasives.
[/quote

Yeah I'm just shooting abunch rounds to fireforms some brass. Figured I'd break it in while doing so. I don't really ses where it could hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the shooting world, you ask 100 shooters, you get 100 different ways to clean a rifle.
Everyone of them is 100% positively certain that his method is the best too
wink.gif

</div></div>

+1... Hahaha. No truer words have been typed here before.