• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning house. One bolt action (caliber) for the man that probably doesn't need a bolt action.

It really just doesn't fucking matter because they both kill and you're probably not winning the AG Cup anytime soon. Buy em both and be free.

You used “man” in gendering your question so the answer would have to be 30-06.
1660869280297.gif

7mm-08. Run the factory Hornady 150gr ELD loads until you decide to roll your own. Then stuff a 162gr pill on there and hammer down.

Reactions: jrassy
.303 British vs. 7mm Mauser both kill mammals out to 400. The 303 is the 308's slower and chunkier cousin from across the pond, the Mauser is the 6.5 creed's chubbier warm beer-drinking cousin. 6.5 creed didn't pick anyone to be on his team in the schoolyard, disgusted he took his ball and went home, so the other 3 cousins had a party with the cheerleaders at the school and got drunk on warm beer.

.303 British vs. 7mm Mauser both kill mammals out to 400. The 303 is the 308's slower and chunkier cousin from across the pond, the Mauser is the 6.5 creed's chubbier warm beer-drinking cousin. 6.5 creed didn't pick anyone to be on his team in the schoolyard, disgusted he took his ball and went home, so the other 3 cousins had a party with the cheerleaders at the school and got drunk on warm beer.
In truth, it was 260rem that elected himself team captain. But, he never told anyone and took his ball home when the game went on without him. 6.5 CM was playing by a different set of rules, and the other kids shunned him. As to the “cheerleaders,” they were, in fact, Thai lady-boys.

Why not just grab it by the ladyboys and shoot a 300 WM, 300 NORMA, or 300 PRC? The 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine all-around cartridge and so are the 308, and 300WM cartridges all have their upsides and downsides.

Reactions: jrassy
I've never seen a real "man caliber" come in a short action.
So, with that being said, doesn't it negate this whole thread ?

I mean, if you already have a critter getter and don't "need" a bolt gun... 6 Creed. What's not to like about an easy shooting cartridge that can send projos with a G7 over .270 at 2950+ fps? Barrel life is the only thing I can think of. If you reload, you could get into .223 or .223 AI... but, not really a true short action at that point.

I can find reletively cheap 308 on most any shelves/sites. Wheres the Creed ammo?
Match quality ammo is scarce in any caliber around here. For a rifle bought for PRS use, I wouldn’t look to the availability of M80 ball or “hunting ammo” as a check in the 308 column. Confined to match quality, I see more 6.5 CM than 308 win on shelves around here. And, ammoseek .com and gunbot.net can show you availability across the internet. But, as I said in a post above, if I were constrained to getting ammo from the internet, I’d probably go 6mmCM for a PRS gun.

Match quality ammo is scarce in any caliber around here. For a rifle bought for PRS use, I wouldn’t look to the availability of M80 ball or “hunting ammo” as a check in the 308 column. Confined to match quality, I see more 6.5 CM than 308 win on shelves around here. And, ammoseek .com and gunbot.net can show you availability across the internet. But, as I said in a post above, if I were constrained to getting ammo from the internet, I’d probably go 6mmCM for a PRS gun.
Is this cause most 6.5 manbun shooters think all 6.5 ammo is match ammo or because no military ball surplus exist?

260 AI.

Is this cause most 6.5 manbun shooters think all 6.5 ammo is match ammo or because no military ball surplus exist?

260 AI.
I’m not sure of your meaning here. More 308 offerings are in the shelves than 6.5 CM. But they are either M80 or some flavor of hunting ammo. There are few 6.5 CM offerings on the shelves, but they are Hornady Match, Hornady black (which seems to shoot as well as Hornady match), or federal berger- with a couple of hunting ammo offerings as well. More 308 win ammo, but less match ammo than 6.5CM.

Where is the factory 260AI ammo?

Reactions: moosemeat
My point is it seems that, like you just posted, most creed shooter seem to think it's all match. Black is not match. I can walk in Academy right now and also get fgmm in 308 loaded with either the MK or the Berger, Hornaday MATCH, Winchester Match, and a shit ton of other 308 loads.
Once again I am not recommending the 308 for this purpose. But the ammo argument is not real and constantly thrown out on this forum. It's not true in my neck of the woods. And yes there is creed on the shelves here too.
260 AI was just to be a ass.

ETA- anyone notice the Op hasn't been back to post anything?

Last edited:
I can find reletively cheap 308 on most any shelves/sites. Wheres the Creed ammo?
Can you find you find match ammo, FGGM or hornady? Before the shortages hit you could find 6.CM for less than 25/ box Hell I found Hornady gunner 6.5 for less than 60 cents a round. Shoots as good as .308 FGGM, though a bit slower than hornady match. On the shelf a a local store yesterday they had both .308 and 6.5 ammo match ammo.

My point is it seems that, like you just posted, most creed shooter seem to think it's all match. Black is not match. I can walk in Academy right now and also get fgmm in 308 loaded with either the MK or the Berger, Hornaday MATCH, Winchester Match, and a shit ton of other 308 loads.
Once again I am not recommending the 308 for this purpose. But the ammo argument is not real and constantly thrown out on this forum. It's not true in my neck of the woods. And yes there is creed on the shelves here too.
Of the Ops choices 6.5 PRC would be my choice and order ammo online. 140 eld-x. Done.
Your Academy is better supplied with 308 match than mine.

And, Winchester match is “Match” in name only from the guns that I have used it in.

I should probably amend the post above. H black seems to shoot as well as Hornady match in my rifle, as far as 100y groups are concerned. It is slower, as it is made for gas guns. Regardless of what is printed on the box, you should shoot it in your guns to confirm that it performs to your requirements.

But, I think we have all overlooked one component. The OP does have gas guns. And, you don’t need a bolt gun to try a prs comp. Yes, you will be less competitive. But, for a first comp, the goal is to see if you enjoy the process. If the gun and ammo are capable of moa accuracy, they should be fine for a first comp- regardless of th mode of action.

ETA- anyone notice the Op hasn't been back to post anything?
And, a 6.5 CM is like a Vudoo rimfire, they turn any old ammo into match ammo... 🤣

I thought you HAD to have a 26# 6BR/Dasher/gt to even get allowed in the gate at PRS matches... Unless your "Old School" and shoot a 6.5 creed in the vintage matches right? :)

Reactions: Charger442
I thought you HAD to have a 26# 6BR/Dasher/gt to even get allowed in the gate at PRS matches... Unless your "Old School" and shoot a 6.5 creed in the vintage matches right? :)
Truth be told, I've shot a 6.5 Grendel more than anything. They make me squad alone because is confuses everyone when I call out my wind holds...

Reactions: Gwak2006
6mm CM,you will be very happy and all La. game will be dead.

You want to have one and done, here it is.
Blaser X
Step into the 21st century and leave the antiquated late 1800's turn bolt rifle design in the dust, where it belongs.

You want to have one and done, here it is.
Blaser X
Step into the 21st century and leave the antiquated late 1800's turn bolt rifle design in the dust, where it belongs.

The Blaser system while expensive and very cool, is specifically tailored towards hunting and as such you'll find most of the barrels, stocks and such are not designed for target shooting and range games.

If you want it for target shooting and range games, you'll want something with wider barrel support.

The Blaser system while expensive and very cool, is specifically tailored towards hunting and as such you'll find most of the barrels, stocks and such are not designed for target shooting and range games.

If you want it for target shooting and range games, you'll want something with wider barrel support.
And then there's this.
X tactical
Only available in 20 factory calibers and 2 custom barrel smiths in the US.
Ready for hunting and any game you want to play.
Perfect for the OP's bolt rifle needs.

I only own one bolt gun and didn't "need" it when I bought it. Decided a few years ago I wanted to shoot with my older brother and his wife and my nephew as they were having a great time banging steel and shooting for precision on my brothers Farm.

I started with 6.5 CM and have never not been able to keep up nor wished for something else. My nephew shoots my Savage 6.5 CM better than he shoots his super high dollar custom .308. So based on my experience which is basically nothing compared to most on this Board I'd have to recommend 6.5 CM for a guy in the OP's position.

VooDoo

If your son’s dad defines his manliness by the rifle he shoots, your son has two moms…

Reactions: 308pirate
My thoughts.

I agree on a SA cartridge for your purposes. Starting with a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice. It doesn't have enough recoil to encourage bad habits, but you will still learn a lot shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor. It's capable at long ranges, and you can easily take most (if not all) North American game with it. Plethora of quality factory ammo available. Works just fine for PRS. Decent barrel life.

However, there is no one cartridge that's best at most/every thing. There's always trade-offs. While I think a 6.5 Creedmoor is a great starting point, maybe in the future you will want a cartridge that excels in other areas. Keep in mind that you can always swap a barrel out. Some actions are easier to do this than others. But you can do it with any action given a barrel vice, torque wrench and action wrench (if your action does not have "quick change" capabilities).

Don't over think it, as you can always get different barrels in different cartridges in the future.

I went through this same exact dilemma. I settled on 6.5 creedmoor. Keeping in mind that as I normally hunted deer and elk with a 300 Win Mag, this is a substantial change for me. Also my dad just bought a 6.5 PRC so it would've been nice to have ammo commonality between the two of us as we commonly go on hunts together.

My reasoning was:
1) Financials: Ammo price is lower and barrel life is longer
2)Due to 1) above, I can shoot more and get more proficient with my rifle
3) Anything in North America can be killed with a 140+ grain .264 caliber bullet traveling at moderate speeds as long as you have good shot placement
4) Your increased proficiency from being able to practice more pays dividends

People make too big of a deal about velocity and energy for big game. If you set realistic expectations for the caliber of your choice, then it's fine. The same guys who advocate for using a 300 RUM for elk will go out the next year on a bow hunting elk hunt (energy in the sub 100 ft/lbs range). If you hit an elk badly with a 300 RUM, 6.5 creedmoor, or an arrow, it's not going to end up well. Also the guys that have 300 RUM's shoot a box or two a year and don't have the confidence to shoot past 300 yards. I firmly believe that for hunting, use whatever caliber you like as long as you can confidently put a bullet in it's proper location. Doing so takes practice.

About 5 years ago, I shot a big Nebraska mule deer with a 65 gr Sierra gameking out of a 14.5" barreled Colt M4 with a 4x ACOG at about 230 yards. I had complete confidence in that rifle and knew I could put that bullet right through the vitals. The buck walked about 5 feet and tumbled over. It's all shot placement.

UKD long range shooting... the modern evolution (last 30 years).

.308 -->.260 --> .260AI --> 6.5 Creed

there were dalliances along the way... .243 and 6.5 x 284, but way too hot and wild to be an enduring relationship

Reactions: 308pirate
UKD long range shooting... the modern evolution (last 30 years).

.308 -->.260 --> .260AI --> 6.5 Creed

there were dalliances along the way... .243 and 6.5 x 284, but way too hot and wild to be an enduring relationship

If you think about it, so many PRS types are going to 6cm, which is basically what folks used to do with custom chambered .243 rifles

Ah, the memories ....

I realize this is an old thread but, as I said in my first post ever in this forum, I will be the stupidest person here. Allow me to prove my statement.

The notion that .308 cannot be used in rifle contests is what I do not understand. I was led to believe that there is an F-class just for .308. To the tune of guys building special rifles to add weight and get right up to the 18 pound limit.

Or, am I wrong? I have no problems admitting if I am wrong. Not asking for a friend, just an academic question, at this point, I guess.

F T/R is the specific class for 308 and 223. Some people build them full Mongo. But F open scores are almost always higher and they shoot the cool shit.

Reactions: Ronws
I realize this is an old thread but, as I said in my first post ever in this forum, I will be the stupidest person here. Allow me to prove my statement.

The notion that .308 cannot be used in rifle contests is what I do not understand. I was led to believe that there is an F-class just for .308. To the tune of guys building special rifles to add weight and get right up to the 18 pound limit.

Or, am I wrong? I have no problems admitting if I am wrong. Not asking for a friend, just an academic question, at this point, I guess.
If any of our wives read this, completely disregard this post. Ron is a little delirious and knows not what he speaks. We absolutely need more stuff to shoot different rounds out of our rifles. Some of us even need completely new rifles.

• Haha
Reactions: Ronws
. We absolutely need more stuff to shoot different rounds out of our rifles. Some of us even need completely new rifles.
Would you please stop speaking the truth! I am running my self broke trying and buying new stuff.

Reactions: The D
Would you please stop speaking the truth! I am running my self broke trying and buying new stuff.
Sorry, sometimes the truth hurts. It’s just that sometimes it hurts the wallet as well