• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Kit- What do I need

JollyJerp

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2022
Kentucky
Hey all!

I’m just waiting on my B14r barreled action to arrive, then I can start throwing my first firearm together. A question I had though is, what should I get for a cleaning kit?

Your going to get many different responses on what you should get, how you should do it and whether or not its even needed at all for 22lr. I'd do some searching here on the forum and google youtube videos to at familiarize yourself with the most common methods. Then based on budget decide which recommendations to follow. In general you will need a bore guide, rod, patches and patch holder, brush, rags, solvents and lube.

I recommend a 17-cal or 20-cal cleaning rod, the 22-cal rods can be too tight for some 22 rimfire bores. Patches, jags, bronze brushes, and definitely a bore guide. A cleaning rod that is too long is far better than one that is too short, and you need to plan for it to be long enough to reach all the way from the butt to the muzzle plus several inches.

I am going to assume you are prepared to invest in as high a quality rifle cleaning kit that is the equal of your rifle investment.
I will list what I use. As I have rifles in calibers from 22lr to .50 caliber muzzleloaders and .72 caliber fully rifled slug guns I now have well over $1k invested in caliber specific gun cleaning rods, bore guides, caliber specific patch jags and brushes and cleaning fluids and caliber specific cleaning patches.

I can not overstate the importance of having a high quality rifle barrel cleaning kit. World famous barrel maker Ed Shilen was also famous for saying he had more barrels he was paid to replace that were ruined by bad cleaning procedures and cheap cleaning equipment than any other cause.

First let me say you must be absolutely certain any cleaning rods bore brushes, patch jags, and patches you order/buy are sized specifically for a 20 caliber 22lr barrel.
You must also be absolutely certain any patch jags or bore brushes you order/buy have the correct same thread per inch male threads as the female threads of your bore brushes and patch jags.

Every thing I am recommending I currently own and currently are using to clean my 22lr rifles and HG's. I own a Bergara b14R steel barrel and a T1x as well as half dozen more 22lr rifles and several 22lr HGs.

I use Deweys nylon coated spring steel cleaning rods. I have two each for .17 caliber rifles, .20 caliber (22lr) caliber rifles, two for from 223-7mm then from 30 cal and above.
I recommend you get two ONE PIECE either coated spring steel or polished stainless steel. Two I have and recommend are Dewyes or Bore tech, either will serve you superbly. Make sure they state being specifically for 20 caliber 22lr rifle otherwise you could end up buying cleaning rods for a .223 barrel and that rod WILL NOT fit in the barrel of a 22lr rifle. I recommend two as it's well worth the extra cost not having to constantly change between your bore brush and patch jag.
Make sure you buy gun cleaning rods at least 36" long for your 18" B14 barrel
If you do not have one already I also recommend you buy a shorter 10-12" handgun cleaning rod. I own and highly recommend the 10" HG cleaning rod made by Pro Shot and it is excellent. You will need this shorter rod to clean your rifles receiver and breach area.

Next buy at least three each of:
<>20 cal/222" High quality nylon bristle bore brushes.
<>20 cal/222" High Quality Phosphorus bronze bristle bore bushes
<>Eye slotted patch holder. I use these to hold my patches to clean the receiver/breach area of all of my rifles.
<>Next buy at least two .20 caliber pierce point patch jags
I usually prefer Montana Extreme, fallowed by Pro Shot and then Tipton, of the three Montana Extreme are the best.

<>Next you will need to buy .222" cleaning Patches I use, strongly recommend, and greatly prefer either Butches Trippel twill 1-1/8" patches but Pro-Shot makes an excellent pact as well its advertised as being 1-1/8" for 22-270.
I recently found a new22lr specific patch type I like very much called "Skyline Center Inc. 1-14" round cleaning patches that work very very well and are available at Amazon. I recommend you buy at least one bag of 500 count.
What ever patches you buy they MUST be no larger than 1-1/4" or they will never fit in a 22lr barrel. Every patch I have recommended I have and have used 100s to clean my MANY 22lr rifles and HG's
<>Next you must buy a firearm specific bore guide. A generic one size fits most bore guide WILL BOT work with a bolt action 22lr rifle. I use and can not recommend strongly enough a Possum Hollow bore guide for a B14R short action also available to buy at amazon. I also strongly recommend you buy the Possum Hollow solvent port attachment. I bought every bore guide I could find for a either a B14R or a 700 short action and now only use the Possum Hollow one.
<>At least a single box of 100 5mil 6 mil preferably chemical resistant disposable GP nitrile gloves. This is a must have item for obvious reasons.
Lastly not an absolute must have item but I recommend you buy yourself a double sided six tier tackle bow to keep all your cleaning attachments organized.
That concludes what I feel in my opinion are your minimum required must have rifle cleaning items.

Last edited: