• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Lube off Cases?

ksmith13

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2010
Tennessee
I have a tumbler coming from Stainless Tumbling Media. However I was wondering how are ya'll getting the lube off your cases if you wet tumble before sizing? Do you wet tumble again, or do you have a vibratory tumbler just for that, or do you just wipe the cases down? Or can you run walnut or something similar in the Thumblers Tumbler?

Re: Cleaning Lube off Cases?

Instead of the full time recommended by STM for tumbling when cleaning I do about 30-40 minutes less. Then after resizing tumble again for 30-40 minutes.

I am sure it is not ideal and I am "overworking" the brass but they do come out really nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ksmith13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a tumbler coming from Stainless Tumbling Media. However I was wondering how are ya'll getting the lube off your cases if you wet tumble before sizing? Do you wet tumble again, or do you have a vibratory tumbler just for that, or do you just wipe the cases down? Or can you run walnut or something similar in the Thumblers Tumbler? </div></div>

If you use something like RCBS CaseLube II, a damp shop rag will work fine. I'll do small batches this way.

If you use something like Imperial Sizing Wax, a dry cotton t-shirt will do the job. I'll do small batches this way, as well.

If you're using something greasier/stickier, like Dillon's lube, or Frankford Arsenal, guys still use their dry media tumblers for quicker removal. I don't like to tumble off lube, as it loads the media faster, but I've done it a lot.

If you're using Hornady One Shot, you don't need to remove it, as it's inert. I used this for a 500 ct batch of 223 ammo and it worked pretty well. You can always tumble the loaded rounds in corn, or walnut, and get them pretty.

Chris

Back in to the Thumbler's tumbler for me. I'm usually doing a few hundred at a time, so wiping off each case sucks.

I do a final 10 min stainless tumble after sizing and trimming. You can add some Lemishine to this too if you want the high shine finish. 10 mins is all you need.

I use an old rag to clean off the Imperial.

I probably should run thru the SS tumbler again, as residual sizing wax inside the necks gets brass shavings stuck to it from chamfering.

I ordered some Frankford lube so I will tumble again. Will the lube hurt the stainless media? I mean make it stick together or anything, or will the dawn break it down? What about just running the brass with water and dawn and no media is that a good idea?

Tumble to clean then again to remove the sizing lube.
I've used LEE lube forever, so I'm used to wet brass.

SS clean first, resize using Imperial, wipe down with dry rag, load, wipe down completed cartridges with lightly moistened rag with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

No need for a secondary tumble.

I have been getting away from my tumbler lately. Before I size, I have been using a mix of a small amount, less than a tablespoon of any detergent, and about a teaspoonful of lemishine in a cut down plastic gallon jug. Fill one third with hot water and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir 2 or 3 times during this process. Rinse well in hot water and dry in a pan on top of the woodstove.
I am also a user of Lee lube also and apply by hand.
After sizing, I run them through the same process again. This removes the lube and give them a pretty good shine. Then I complete the case prep process.
If I want the new brass shine I tumble for an hour. They look like brand new.
If you try this process please note, do not leave it in the solution too long or use to much lemishine. You will note a discoloration in spots on the brass. I believe this is the citrate of the lemishine starting to draw the zinc out of the brass.
The process also helps in the cleaning of the inside of the cases and the primer pockets.
Hope this helps. Enjoy!

To clean off Imperial I'lI put it in my vibratory tumbler with corn cob for 30 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clean off Imperial I'lI put it in my vibratory tumbler with corn cob for 30 minutes.
</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I simply wipe Imerial off with a micro fiber clothe</div></div>

+1

+1 for one more quick round with the Stainless after sizing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're using Hornady One Shot, you don't need to remove it, as it's inert.</div></div>

This is what I am using as well. So you are saying I can just wipe off the cases and they are good to go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you're using Hornady One Shot, you don't need to remove it, as it's inert.</div></div>

This is what I am using as well. So you are saying I can just wipe off the cases and they are good to go?
</div></div>

You don't even have to tumble One Shot off, as powder won't 'really' stick to the insides of the case necks.

I think I tried to wipe them off a bit, but One Shot really isn't greasy or sticky and they were for my buddy, so ehhh...if he wanted to clean them off more, that was on him.

It's safe to tumble loaded rounds for 15-30 minutes and that will do the trick, if you're persnickety.

I've had some Dillon lubed loaded rounds that became tacky over a period of time. Not a big deal, but I did tumble the box, or two, that I had left and things were peachy.

Chris

I have been tumbling the loaded rounds in a Dillon vibrating tumbler with corn cob media, for about 30-40 minutes.
I just tried washing the unloaded cases in hot water and Simple Green, then putting them in the oven at 300* for 40 minutes. Seemed to do a good job.
The lube was Dillon's spray lube.

I do my initial cleaning in stainless media then I use Rooster lube from Sinclair to size. After sizing the brass gets put into a nylon paint strainer sock which gets dunked into Birchwood Casey chemical cleaner for 5 minutes to remove all the lube. This is followed by a quick rinse/dunk in plain water to remove and neutralize the cleaner from the brass. After that the brass goes into the dehydrator to dry out. Cases come out spotless with no traces of lube. Nice thing about the chem cleaner is that it removes any lube from inside the neck and case.

I've been using the same 3 gallon mix of the Birchwood Casey cleaner now for 2 years. It still suds up nice when you agitate it and it still easily removes all lube from the cases. I have strained it a couple times to remove brass particles, but as long as you don't agitate the stuff before soaking the brass all the particulates simply stay at the bottom of the bucket.

for the towel guys... aren't you leaving something behind inside the case?

I use the Imperial dry case lube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for the towel guys... aren't you leaving something behind inside the case?

I use the Imperial dry case lube </div></div>

I'm not getting any lube in the case, as I use a lube pad for the RCBS CL II stuff and my fingers for the Imperial. I don't lube the inside of my necks because I don't use an expander ball.

If I have to use the 'pray and spray' method, I'll tumble them in walnut, or use One Shot and not tumble them at all.

Chris

I use the imperial wax and I just throw them in a tumbler with untreated media for a couple hours.

like Jagged said -just a few more minutes in the tumbler -cleans inside & out- so powder dont stick to inside of cases- I dont know if lube would affect powder charge
-but it cant hurt to clean it all off-out before loading

My Method;
Punch out the primers with Decapping Die,
SS Media tumble,
Lube cases with RCBS Case Slick spray,
Resize,
Then into the Ultrasonic Cleaner for 10 minutes

On cases that have a good fit to the die I like to use Ballistol.
After shooting put brass in a baggie with a shot of Ballistol and it starts to work softening the powder fowling on your drive home then lighly spin the case in a paper towel which mostly cleans the case and leaves a film of lube on the brass and then resize it. Clean brass in the tumbler and your done. No double tumbling needed.
Plus the Ballistol is not as gummy as some lubes and it dissolves fast in the SS media and shortens the tumbling time alot since the Ballistol has cleaned and loosened most of the dirt which was wiped off with the paper towel. If your a low volume shooter or just cleaning 50 rounds of match brass this works good but is slower for large amounts.

I wash about 100 at a time in a media separater used like a wash-machine. Laundry detergent and I spray the brass with $1 window cleaner. The lower tub below the basket lets you know just how much media gets lodged into the interior.

I made a brass dryer out of one of those huge christmas tins (that have the gross flavored popcorn in them) and a blow dryer.
Regardless of case lube methods, well used tumbling media leaves plenty of waxy residue in the neck interiors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wash about 100 at a time in a media separater used like a wash-machine. Laundry detergent and I spray the brass with $1 window cleaner. The lower tub below the basket lets you know just how much media gets lodged into the interior.

I made a brass dryer out of one of those huge christmas tins (that have the gross flavored popcorn in them) and a blow dryer.
Regardless of case lube methods, well used tumbling media leaves plenty of waxy residue in the neck interiors. </div></div>

Is that ammoniated glass cleaner? Ammonia does bad things to brass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is that ammoniated glass cleaner? Ammonia does bad things to brass! </div></div>

tired.gif
Oh no!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS clean first, resize using Imperial, wipe down with dry rag, load, wipe down completed cartridges with lightly moistened rag with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

No need for a secondary tumble. </div></div>

This ^^ most of the time. Occasionally will run in a tumbler with corn cob media.