• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning pistol brass

excess

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
St Louis, MO
I'm getting back to reloading for pistol. In the past I always cleaned brass by tumbling with walnut. Is that still the way to go, or should I look into ultrasonic or tumbling with stainless media? I will probably be loading 3-4 thousand rounds in a setting when I do load (Dillon 1050, 9mm)

Re: Cleaning pistol brass

I use corn cob w/ dillon or berry's polish and I leave the primer pockets dirty. I've purchased once fired, SS media cleaned brass and it does look like new, but after reading up on the process I decided to just stick with what I’ve been doing.

I clean all my pistol brass in the SS pins.

Since it's all 9mm I first run it through an old Lee Progressive with a universal depriming die mounted on it. Some creative engineering lets me use my XL650 case feeder to provide a steady stream of cases for depriming.

I then tumble all cases for an average of 3 hours and get brass that appears like it just came from a factory fresh bag/box of brass. All primer pockets are clean as well.

Is it necessary? Maybe not but I sure like the look of my ammo now.

I use walnut too. I don't care about pretty; I care about bang.

I use SS media for pistol and 556 brass, walnut for bolt gun brass.

I toss it in the corn cob media and polish like everything else.

I've always heard using brasso on cartridge cases is bad news.

I use to hear that all the time as well. Several individual I know who've been shooting well over 40+ years each, use it faithfully, without issue. If you look at the contents, it's pretty much the same as the others sold at a much higher cost. Most do not show what's in them. Ammonia is bad for brass but, it's only a 5-10% concentration. In a container that holds many quarts, it very minimal and evaporates quickly.

I use a capful each time I load with my large Dillon vibrating tumbler. My old stand-bye was the Dillon polish. Since switching a few years ago, I haven't seen any issues.

Corn cob is cheaper the walnut. It works great on my brass.

If you want squeeky clean, soak the brass in vinager (works on coffee pots). As soon as its clean and dry, throw the brass into the ground corn cob.

With that volume you may want to look at cost vs. time. Personally I have used corn cob media with Nu Glo car polish for years with excellent results. Holds up well and does a really great job. Only downside is I have to run 6hrs. to get that factory new brass look (primer pockets aren't perfect but close enough for who its for). I can polish a couple hrs. and still get compliments on how great my reloads look. Good luck with your decision.

I reload a bunch of pistol brass in various cal. I have tried all methods to some degree.

I have washed brass in a mixture of salt and Vinegar. This is ok in a pinch but brobably the most hassle.

I have ultrasonic cleaned them and really didnt see a difference in any great amount over tumbleing and with both of the above you haver to let them dry first= Time.

My advice buy a tumbler go to petco get some $4 Lizzard walnut bedding and maybe add some non-amonia based polish.

My 2 cents hope it helps. Have spare brass from time to time PM me maybe you need some that I dont. Brass that I dont use I just give/send away for those that us it.

I use crushed walnut from harbor freight (very cheap) and works great too. I'd like to get into a SS media setup, but good god it's expensive, especially when the only reason I want it is for looks.

SS media is perfect for pistol. Tumble for several hours (I usually do 3 - 4) and it comes out great. You don't have to worry about peening like you do with precision rifle brass. I am anal and I deprime before I clean just to get the primer pockets, but you clearly don't have to.

One thing that has helped me recently is buying the Frankford ArsenalQuick N EZ Rotary Media Separator. I fill the bucket with water and tumble for a few minutes and there are no pins left. That has cut a bunch of time from my cleaning process. I used to shake out that pins by hand, which is a huge PITA as well as a time sink.

Cleaning the inside of the case is actually more important that the outside. Over time all that carbonized crude inside the case tends to keep accumulating and before you know it you've changed your loading density. And in long range precision shooting that makes a big difference. Also, clean on the outside is easier on your chamber

Get your cases as clean inside and out as you can get them. Makes everything work better, including your long range accuracy.

In the world of BR shooters would disagree with you, one of them at my club uses the same 20 cases for several hundred reloads, I asked him if internal case capacity is a factor with that many firings, he said no, and the proof he said was his charge is the same "clicks" for a givin DA.

I put my pistol brass in a plastic gal bottle and add vinegar and soak and agitate every so often then rinse with water and dry, then polish with walnut media and polish. they are clean beyond belief inside and out even the primer pocket.

I tried one of the wet methods a couple times (Iosso?) and went back to crushed walnut and Dillon cleaner. I just add a bit more of the case cleaner to every batch, and change the walnut every couple thousand cases. (I'll have to remember the tip about getting it inexpensively at the pet shop.)

This has been working fine for pistol and rifle cases.

Richard

walnut shell for filthy brass then corn cob to shine if necessary. Pistol brass only need to be clean enough on the outside to be reliable and avoid excessive wear on your sizing die, being completely clean inside make no accuracy dif whatsoever