• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cleaning Up an Old Gun

Woolsocks

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2023
Washington
Figured “vintage” would be the most applicable section to post this in.

I recently bought a 70’s era Winchester 670 as a project. First item of business is to replace the cheapo scope, rings and bases so I can see how it shoots as-is. Should have seen the cute “flip to side” rings and bases that were on this thing- I’m sure they hold true enough if you’re fine with 5 MOA groups :) . When I took the bases off, the area underneath is full of gunk, and all 4 of the threaded holes are swimming in some sort of oil. Lovely..

Any ideas how to clean this up without taking the 70’s factory blueing off? I’m obsessive about clean bases and threads so I have correct torque. I’ll need some sort of solvent for the oil. I have some QD electronics cleaner I use on my motorcycle to get grease and gunk out of switches. Anyone tried that stuff on a gun?

This is probably not the right way but I just had to do this with an 80s Mark V. I used a brass brush. Gunk, oil, solidified red locktite. Took a lot of time but didn’t obviously remove any bluing. Used a small brush to get into the screw holes and bust rust and other gunk out of there. Used Hoppes #9 as a solvent and lube.