• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Clearcoat over krylon?

308Dude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
What's a good product for covering krylon? The krylon tends to be soft, attract dirt, and react poorly to oils from your hands and face.

Re: Clearcoat over krylon?

I'm not a gunsmith but I used Krylon matt clear coat on mine (three separate coats) - works fine. But it still won't protect from solvents, scuffs, general wear and tear..

I used Dura Coat Clear over Krylon and Krylon Webbing on my XP-100R's. So far it's holding up great and it's been awhile now.
Guns1024.jpg

Guns1028.jpg

I'm guessing you used the no bake version. I'm not aware of Duracoat in a rattle can. Is there a rattle can alternative since i don't have a HVLP sprayer?

As per advise from this forum I used Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane oil based spray. The krylon is water based and will not hold up as well. The minwax was easy to use and came out great. I have used and cleaned my rifle several times and have seen no damge to my paint job.

That Minwax product sounds like a winner I may be able to find locally. I've not heard of the alumnahide before. Anyone have a field report?

Thanks guys.

Alumahyde II is pretty tough stuff, especially for a non-bake finish. I have been told though, not to get "WipeOut" near it as WipeOut will remove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As per advise from this forum I used Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane oil based spray. The krylon is water based and will not hold up as well. The minwax was easy to use and came out great. I have used and cleaned my rifle several times and have seen no damge to my paint job.

</div></div> So is the Krylon clear a water based clear enamel?

The Krylon I used was indoor outdoor acrylic. Directions say to clean with mineral spirits. Dunno if water based or oil based.

I used Duracoat matte clear over a Krylon camo job a few months back. Looks good and is holding up very well so far.

CM