• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Close Range Steel Shooting

dmgreene

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2007
Old Salem, AL
I've got some extra ar500 plate and was wanting to set up a steel pistol range. I have never shot steel at close range and was wondering if there is anything I SHOULD NOT DO? Is there any handgun ammo or calibers that are not safe? What would be the closest safe range for shooting steel?

Thanks,
David

Re: Close Range Steel Shooting

Make sure what ever you do, have the plates angled down. Ive shot AR500 plates as close as 5 yards. If you can get your hands on frangible ammo when you go to shoot it that would be better.

We shoot it at close range all the time. Wear eye protection and don't be surprised if you get bit every now and then. Sometimes copper jacketing will even draw a little bit of blood, not much though.
smile.gif

Like HDC-Deadly said above, angle it as much as you can to deflect towards the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drmarc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We shoot it at close range all the time. Wear eye protection and don't be surprised if you get bit every now and then. Sometimes copper jacketing will even draw a little bit of blood, not much though.
smile.gif

Like HDC-Deadly said above, angle it as much as you can to deflect towards the ground. </div></div>

Good adive from both of these gentlemen. I would add to mount the targets so they are capable of moving or rocking as well as angled down. I shoot steel about 90% of the time. Another technique is to hang it from chain or cable on a frame. This also helps prevent ricochet. I saw a guy place a steel plate in a rigid position, (in the dirt in the back stop) where it would not give or move and when he shot the round ricocheted straight back and ripped his hat off. It might have done worse a few inches lower. I shoot conventional pistol and rifle ammo, mostly FMJ. Glasses are a must. I have sand below my targets to reduce ricochet off the ground and to make the lead recovery easier.

In IPSC/USPSA it's no closer than 11 yards. Jacketed rounds are definitely worse than lead or plated. Eye protection is mandatory.

Cowboy action shoots steel pretty close. They also set the close targets at a very hard angle down.

I practise on a hanger and pepper poppers at 15 yards simply because that a good range to practise my presentation on- far enough to be a bit of a challenge in a speed drill, far enough away to minimize crap coming back.

Closer in is paper, I go as close as 1 yard on a paper badguy.

Glasses are a good idea no matter the distance with pistols, besides some of the robocop glasses make ya look soooo cool.

angle your steel down!
Wear eye protection and pants.
Shoot frangibles if you can get it.

Regardless of angle or mounting method, once you start shooting steel inside of 10 yards you are really pushing your luck with jacketed bullets of any kind.

Soft lead in cowboy loads and frangible are a different story.

At any rate I would balance your need for steel training inside of 10 yards with the risks involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Wear eye protection and don't be surprised if you get bit every now and then.</div></div>

Amen to that. I have a pair of shooting glasses that have a piece of lead embedded in the lense of my shooting eye.

It don't matter, lead or jackets, flat or angled, EYE PROTECTION is the answer.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess 10 yards will be the minimum distance. Targets will either be hanging at an angle or placed so that they can be knocked over. I know crap can always happen but does this sound ok for 9mm,.40,and .45 FMJ practice? What about 357 magnum rounds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">angle your steel down!
Shoot frangibles if you can get it. </div></div>

+1, <span style="font-weight: bold">ESPECIALLY</span> the angle steel down!!

Our LE range here, closest they allow us on steel is 10yds. I get occasional frags, but not bad at all.

-G45

Smokshwn, love your signature..."Workin my ass off to keep stupid people procreating"... hate that its so f'n true though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess 10 yards will be the minimum distance. Targets will either be hanging at an angle or placed so that they can be knocked over. I know crap can always happen but does this sound ok for 9mm,.40,and .45 FMJ practice? What about 357 magnum rounds? </div></div>Everyone said angle it down. Some said hang it <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> angle it down, FMJ was <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> recommended, I don't think anyone said place so they can be knocked over either (could be wrong). Just a heads up, probably ought to take all the advise fairly seriously. Good luck man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">angle your steel down!

Have you shot at Buds steel range yet?

The front set of plates are wicked close, I'd guess 3 yards. That could have been a cool range but they are all six inch plates all the way out to the furthest set, 25? yards. The plates fall but they have a solid steel plates below protecting the actuating mechanism. If you hit low on the front two sets of plates you are going to have jacket come back at you.

I'll redirect slightly....some have touched on "knock over" or "knock down" plates but I don't believe it was discussed if they were considered more safe than rigid, angled steel plates. To clarify, I'm referring to round steel plates with a "base" welded to the bottom, in the 2 to 5 inch diameter range.

Are these particular plates "more safe" and what is the "danger close" distance. Very curious to know being that I just purchased 20 of these in varying sizes.

I believe the FBI protocol suggests placing a barrier (i.e. plywood) at a 20 degree angle at the outer edges of your string.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjdm151</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">angle your steel down!

Have you shot at Buds steel range yet?

The front set of plates are wicked close, I'd guess 3 yards. That could have been a cool range but they are all six inch plates all the way out to the furthest set, 25? yards. The plates fall but they have a solid steel plates below protecting the actuating mechanism. If you hit low on the front two sets of plates you are going to have jacket come back at you. </div></div>

I have shot it. With a 45 ACP SBR. I never had a problem with any splash back.....