• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories CLOSED - Gauging Interest: McMillan Reproduction Smear Pattern Stocks

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
Edit: This thread is closed, folks. This won’t be happening, so no point in continuing on.

First off, some disclaimers:
- I am in no way associated with McMIllan (aside from being a repeat private individual buyer of their stocks)
- If anyone from McMillan sees this and feel this thread is inappropriate or stepping on any toes, let me know and I'll delete it
- If any mods feel this thread should not be here, please delete
- This is a feeler thread only, to gauge interest and gather potential number of buyers - nothing else is guaranteed or implied

Now that's all out of the way, here's the deal:

I know someone that knows someone at McMillan, and after the first someone spoke with the second someone, with the new ownership and all, they're looking to do some special projects to refocus their product line and offerings. After discussing a previous one-off batch of reproduction smear pattern stocks with them, they're open to considering putting in the research and effort to reproduce the smear pattern as a special project. To assist in the consideration, and for obvious reasons, as a starting point, they'd like to know how much interest and how many buyers /numbers of stocks there would be for this.

That's it. Nothing else is known, committed, or implied at this point. No acknowledgement that this will go through, price point, final camo outcome, whether this will only be for full M40A1 spec stocks or if it will be made available as a general finish option, logistics of ordering, or anything else.

With all that, if we can get them a semi-accurate number sometime soon, that will help them in bringing this up as a potential special project. So for now, if you would be in for this, post how many stocks you would get if this does go through. Let's say we'll tally up the numbers in a couple of weeks, or sooner if the responses die down, and pass along the numbers for consideration at that time.

That's all, folks.

Last edited:
I would like a real one. But might settle for a reproduction.

Last edited:
I would love to see an example of what was being discussed. I know they did one for a former Marine not that long ago that was close to an original in a smear style pattern.

Kind Regards,

- Jon

Reactions: thesemperfidude
Interested............would like to see a prototype........and how many would be made.
Something to put away for future use or sale, limited run, or if something that is mass produced.

in_gif.gif

Just do a Google image search for McMillan smear stocks and it will show results for both original smears as well as their repro batch from a few years ago.

None of them will be indicative of what the final result may be, if this does go through. There’s quite a bit of variation in both the originals and even the single batch of repros made before.

Not to speak for McMillan, but I think they’ll basically have to re-learn the process to make these if they decide to do a run as a special project, so the end result could look any number of different ways. But I think they are looking to reproduce the original smear pattern as close as possible if they decide to do this.

Last edited:
The smear can't be replicated. The best we could do is make a new version of the smear. That does not meet our objective of making a clone or even a replica of a stock.

Regards,
Eric

Looks like this is a non-starter, folks. Mods, feel free to lock or delete this thread.

Reactions: toader
Hello from McMillan,

We are considering making short, specialty runs of some military stocks but the smear is not one of them. The idea was considered briefly but quickly rejected.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
General Manager
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
I knew this was too good to be true...
DW

I remembered seeing somewhere on their web page that the wouldn’t duplicate the “mistake” smear look. Something about it would lower the value of the originals. I tried to find it again but can’t locate it.

First off, some disclaimers:
- I am in no way associated with McMIllan (aside from being a repeat private individual buyer of their stocks)
- If anyone from McMillan sees this and feel this thread is inappropriate or stepping on any toes, let me know and I'll delete it
- If any mods feel this thread should not be here, please delete
- This is a feeler thread only, to gauge interest and gather potential number of buyers - nothing else is guaranteed or implied

Now that's all out of the way, here's the deal:

I know someone that knows someone at McMillan, and after the first someone spoke with the second someone, with the new ownership and all, they're looking to do some special projects to refocus their product line and offerings. After discussing a previous one-off batch of reproduction smear pattern stocks with them, they're open to considering putting in the research and effort to reproduce the smear pattern as a special project. To assist in the consideration, and for obvious reasons, as a starting point, they'd like to know how much interest and how many buyers /numbers of stocks there would be for this.

That's it. Nothing else is known, committed, or implied at this point. No acknowledgement that this will go through, price point, final camo outcome, whether this will only be for full M40A1 spec stocks or if it will be made available as a general finish option, logistics of ordering, or anything else.

With all that, if we can get them a semi-accurate number sometime soon, that will help them in bringing this up as a potential special project. So for now, if you would be in for this, post how many stocks you would get if this does go through. Let's say we'll tally up the numbers in a couple of weeks, or sooner if the responses die down, and pass along the numbers for consideration at that time.

That's all, folks.
Yes for me, highly interested and a great project!!!! 🇺🇸

ok so Hypothetically if a certain company was to get the ball rolling on this famous pattern..
It would have to be a certain model only M40A1 lets say?
there would have to be a certain non refundable deposit on a special project like this! ??
there would have to be a certain number hit to make order??

The smear can't be replicated. The best we could do is make a new version of the smear. That does not meet our objective of making a clone or even a replica of a stock.

Regards,
Eric
How about a batch of XM3 stocks?
I’ve had one made to spec, but a limited run would be a good idea!

Reactions: wulfhnt44