• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cloud Defensive OWL

gmar

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Oklahoma
Anyone have any personal experience with this light? If so, what did you like and what did you dislike?

my main purpose for this light is going night run n guns where I’ll be shooting targets anywhere from 5 yards out to 150 yards with either an AR or CZ Scorpion. I used my Inforce WMLx Gen 2 Red/White which is 700 lumens and want impressed with the throw at longer distances, especially through the smoke after I fired a few rounds. Thanks!

Here’s the link for the product:

https://www.clouddefensive.com/optimized-weapon-light/

Look at candela for a light that throws longer, not lumens.

No experience with the OWL. If you’re mil/le, CD has a good discount if you contact them. Their pressure pad mount is very nice for my Surefire m600DF pad.

Reactions: gmar
I have an OWL and it seems to favor shorter platforms for weight balance. So perfect for your Scorpion. I also have a REIN short, and both would meet your needs. Since you didn't ask, I will also say the Olight Odin is also very bright and has some throw but my pressure pad turns on if wire moves and will not shut off at times also. They are sending a new pressure pad unit but I bought the REIN anyway.

Olight issue

Last edited:
^^^ Yep, I wish I would’ve know about the OKW Moight before purchasing my m600DF. The Surefire is great for house stuff were flood is a benefit, but I’d like to have the Modlight for the rifles primary use (utility).

I have an OWL and it seems to favor shorter platforms for weight balance. So perfect for your Scorpion. I also have a REIN short, and both would meet your needs. Since you didn't ask, I will also say the Olight Odin is also very bright and has some throw but my pressure pad turns on if wire moves and will not shut off at times also. They are sending a new pressure pad unit but I bought the REIN anyway.

Olight issue
Which one do you prefer between the OWL and REIN?

It is hard to say between the two. The OWL has some weight and also size to consider. The OWL weight isn't a problem on an 8" rail but it hogs the bed. Depending on your rail space and your other attachment plans are. If you only want a light then no issues. If you run BUIS it may need to take a back seat.

The clamp/pad is 3" or so long and as tall as a Magpul MBUS for reference. The OWL is more powerful than the Rein Mini, but its less modular. The REIN's independent cord system is also pretty organized, and offers the 2nd tail button, traditional use of a various attachments types. On a longer rifle the Rein wins if weight is a concern. I'll try to post a pic of the 2.

I got one at a very good price. Tried it for a short while on an AR, but took it off. Heavy as hell. I appreciate the comment above on using it on a PCC. I may give that a try. Pretty expensive to sit on the shelf.

Reactions: Frank_Castle
I have both OWL and REIN. I like the OWL for rifles that don’t wear lasers or other end devices. More streamlined, integrated switch, very low profile. Great candela and lumen output. Indestructable.

All of my guns with lasers have REIN micros. Awesome output and very cool low profile external switch.

Reactions: Frank_Castle
I had an OWL and now have two Reins. The OWL is large and bulky and if you mount it on top like they want you to, your thumb is going to be blocking half your sight picture when it's on the button. The REIN has a little better output and takes all Scout type mounts. If you have a .gov email, get on their discount program. Best thing about the CD lights is the warm color light. Easy on the eyes and cuts through haze.

-Dan

Owl in the wild. Looks like it includes plastic box

Anyone have any personal experience with this light? If so, what did you like and what did you dislike?

my main purpose for this light is going night run n guns where I’ll be shooting targets anywhere from 5 yards out to 150 yards with either an AR or CZ Scorpion. I used my Inforce WMLx Gen 2 Red/White which is 700 lumens and want impressed with the throw at longer distances, especially through the smoke after I fired a few rounds. Thanks!

Here’s the link for the product:

https://www.clouddefensive.com/optimized-weapon-light/

Twilight run in Pawnee? I just signed up for that one and trying to figure what light setup I want to run too.

I’ve got the wmlx but I don’t think it’s going to cut it for the longer distances.

Twilight run in Pawnee? I just signed up for that one and trying to figure what light setup I want to run too.

I’ve got the wmlx but I don’t think it’s going to cut it for the longer distances.
Yes sir, that’s the one! I ran a CZ Scorpion with an Octane Suppressor with the WMLx mounted on the right side rail and had two issues:

1. With the light in line and directly on one side of my suppressor, it cut off most of the light on my left side.

2. The WMLx didn’t have enough power and throw to cut through the smoke after you fired a few rounds for the longer targets.

One of the guys who RO’d it Friday night drove home to Tulsa on Saturday to get a stronger light after he saw the course of fire. He replaced his WMLx with a Streamlight HL.

Will this be your first time to run any Run n Guns at Pawnee or do you go the winter or summer runs?

Owl in the wild. Looks like it includes plastic box

Dang it...I was too slow!

I really like the rein light and all the mounts they have make it super simple to put exactly where you want it

Will this be your first time to run any Run n Guns at Pawnee or do you go the winter or summer runs?

I’ve done the Pawnee summer and winter runs for the last few years, it’s always a fun time. Although I lost and footing and completely fell in the creek a couple weeks ago. That will wake you up!

I just learned about the Twilight run and haven’t tried one at night. I think I’m gonna run a streamlight HL on my pistol and a 600 scout with Malkoff head for the rifle.

I’ve done the Pawnee summer and winter runs for the last few years, it’s always a fun time. Although I lost and footing and completely fell in the creek a couple weeks ago. That will wake you up!

I just learned about the Twilight run and haven’t tried one at night. I think I’m gonna run a streamlight HL on my pistol and a 600 scout with Malkoff head for the rifle.
I didn’t shoot the winter run this year but I walked it with buddies that did the 5k. The rain and creeks made it very interesting but at least it wasn’t today with the wind and cold! If you enjoy the normal runs, you’ll love the night run. October had over 100 required hits including a bonus stage of 115 yard pistol shot that allows you to skip an obstacle if you hit it. We always grill streaks and camp out after the night run.

Are you part of the RNG Discussion Group on Facebook?

Reactions: Rerun7
I’m not on Facebook. There are 7-8 of us that come to the summer/winter runs. Planning to bring a couple guys with me for this one too. Great idea on the steaks! I’m gonna steal that one haha.

I really like my OWL but wish it was smaller. I would give up some power to make it weigh less or make it smaller. That being said I still run the OWL on my primary over other brands because I hate wires and tailcaps. The Modlite is also amazing.

I’m not on Facebook. There are 7-8 of us that come to the summer/winter runs. Planning to bring a couple guys with me for this one too. Great idea on the steaks! I’m gonna steal that one haha.
I just sent you a PM so we don’t bore everyone with something off topic:

Reactions: Rerun7
The OWL is a stout light with good output & throw & some like the warmer color better.

I think it's too big/overbuilt for what it is, and I prefer the cooler light of the Modlite. The center pressure pad can be a little hard to find with gloves & in goofy positions, but that's just a familiarization issue.

The simplicity of the unit is where it really shines for me. If I had my way we'd go to OWLs for all our PD patrol rifles. Super easy to mount left or right, all self contained with no cables to get snagged or wear out.

Reactions: scatterbrains
I have both OWL and REIN. I like the OWL for rifles that don’t wear lasers or other end devices. More streamlined, integrated switch, very low profile. Great candela and lumen output. Indestructable.

All of my guns with lasers have REIN micros. Awesome output and very cool low profile external switch.

So many keys it looks like a piano.

Love my OWL, but I would have gone with a micro rein had I actually taken a half-second to read the specs, especially regarding the weight!
I will check out the Pawnee twilight, I am a staple at the Pecos RNG, and enjoy the hell out of the westtex RNG at Fort Davis.
Thx!
Jordan

Love my OWL, but I would have gone with a micro rein had I actually taken a half-second to read the specs, especially regarding the weight!
I will check out the Pawnee twilight, I am a staple at the Pecos RNG, and enjoy the hell out of the westtex RNG at Fort Davis.
Thx!
Jordan
If you’re on Facebook look up Oklahoma Multi-Gun. Also, join the RNG Discussion Group.

Thx!
Jordan

Attachments

• 8140B9B1-181A-4B43-B9C3-49C1E49C27CC.png
    8140B9B1-181A-4B43-B9C3-49C1E49C27CC.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 7DA067B1-F397-4220-AFC4-2586E5D6D5A8.png
    7DA067B1-F397-4220-AFC4-2586E5D6D5A8.png
    313.5 KB · Views: 59
Oversized solution looking for a problem.

The main problem being that alot of people think looking operator includes putting a light on the strong side with a tape switch and then needing a 2nd tape switch for the PEQ. This then creates the wire management/snag hazard/duel switch retard factor.

Put your weapon light on the weak side at the 10 o clock where you can activate the click tail switch with your thumb while still having the exact same hold on the gun you would anyways. That way, you're not modifying your hold on the gun to activate the light, the light is activated momentarily via a click switch and not a cable and all you need to do is move your thumb forward an inch.

With Surefire lights, some have lock out bezels, and you can also unscrew the click tailcap 2 rotations to lock it out that way as needed.

These weird mounts with giant lights, with configurations that take up a ton of rail space and put the light at weird angles and/or require you to mount it a certain way are fucking retarded.

And dear God, stop using 1k lumen lights on your fucking guns.

eta - LMAO @ $389

That thing is big, and as a leftie, looks awkward to manipulate. With the "modular" and "easily taken apart" aspect. Yeah, no. Shoving a rifle between the center console and seat in a vehicle... do some driving, some occupant movements in the seat, bumps, etc.. I don't want anything that requires just a push in in a little twist to disassemble. Let alone some of the fucked up things you don't even realize you do when you're up Shit's Creek without a paddle: like using your light bezel as a barricade stop..., so no quick disconnect bezel or tail for me.. I'll never be in that much of of rush to change my batterys or take the bezel off (why?).

Riding the same brightness boat as above by @TheGerman , lights are supposed to to be up close target identification and like magnification in a scope, more is not always better. Yes, having the ability to brightly light up an object to identify it at 100-200 yards is cool... but if you put a light with a bazillion lumen or whatever candela light that can spotlight someone bright as day at that distance, what will that do to YOU at 5-7 yards in your home as you use it and the light reflects back off a mirror, a glass-pane framed picture, or white wall in a dark room? You're blinded and gonna take a little bit of time to unfuck yourself. If you're using your rifle with a light in your home for real, that is THE WRONG time to take some time to unfuck yourself because you're blinded from a super-duper-aweseome light. People who do actual room entry stuff for a living usually live in the 180-600 lumen range on lights.

A lot of cool marketing language on that website. The FL-1 standard for dropping w/o failing or damage is dropping from *1 meter* 6 times from 6 different angles like the sides of a cube.

That thing is big, and as a leftie, looks awkward to manipulate. With the "modular" and "easily taken apart" aspect. Yeah, no. Shoving a rifle between the center console and seat in a vehicle... do some driving, some occupant movements in the seat, bumps, etc.. I don't want anything that requires just a push in in a little twist to disassemble. Let alone some of the fucked up things you don't even realize you do when you're up Shit's Creek without a paddle: like using your light bezel as a barricade stop..., so no quick disconnect bezel or tail for me.. I'll never be in that much of of rush to change my batterys or take the bezel off (why?).

Riding the same brightness boat as above by @TheGerman , lights are supposed to to be up close target identification and like magnification in a scope, more is not always better. Yes, having the ability to brightly light up an object to identify it at 100-200 yards is cool... but if you put a light with a bazillion lumen or whatever candela light that can spotlight someone bright as day at that distance, what will that do to YOU at 5-7 yards in your home as you use it and the light reflects back off a mirror, a glass-pane framed picture, or white wall in a dark room? You're blinded and gonna take a little bit of time to unfuck yourself. If you're using your rifle with a light in your home for real, that is THE WRONG time to take some time to unfuck yourself because you're blinded from a super-duper-aweseome light. People who do actual room entry stuff for a living usually live in the 180-600 lumen range on lights.

A lot of cool marketing language on that website. The FL-1 standard for dropping w/o failing or damage is dropping from *1 meter* 6 times from 6 different angles like the sides of a cube.

There are reasons not to like the OWL but the way it breaks down is not one of them. You would never accidentally disassemble one. You've gotta push in with about 20 pounds of force and turn. Similar feel to a really stubborn tamper proof lid on chemicals etc. Also I wouldn't worry about the durability in general. That's the main thing they have going for them but that also creates some downsides.

There are reasons not to like the OWL but the way it breaks down is not one of them. You would never accidentally disassemble one.
Murphy tends to have other plans when things are going really wrong. I have no doubt you can drop the thing and it gets run over by a vehicle and it survives. There's just certain things I'd rather not be "quick disconnect". Tail cap, that makes sense and cool.

The head? Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand the theory of needing to quickly disconnect the head of a flashlight to save time. But I can see if someone is out of shape, being tacticool, tired after running, or under super high stress due to whatever circumstances, using the bezel of the flashlight as a barrier stop and as a means to stabilize themselves as they get up from a kneeling position, giving a little twist with that pressure, and ploooop, off goes the head of that flashlight.

Awkward.

Just my opinion of a feature which, to me, is useless.

I'm not a huge fan of them for my personal guns, but having used one, the breakdown procedures and it falling apart are not a concern. It's also reversible, so it works well left or right handed, and the power is not an issue. Good tactics will keep you from blinding yourself so, at this point, the whole too many lumens argument is silly. Looking past obstructions requires the power to throw light downrange, it's not just for ID at distance. Think looking from one room to another, or

Murphy tends to have other plans when things are going really wrong. I have no doubt you can drop the thing and it gets run over by a vehicle and it survives. There's just certain things I'd rather not be "quick disconnect". Tail cap, that makes sense and cool.

The head? Maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand the theory of needing to quickly disconnect the head of a flashlight to save time. But I can see if someone is out of shape, being tacticool, tired after running, or under super high stress due to whatever circumstances, using the bezel of the flashlight as a barrier stop and as a means to stabilize themselves as they get up from a kneeling position, giving a little twist with that pressure, and ploooop, off goes the head of that flashlight.

Awkward.

Just my opinion of a feature which, to me, is useless.

As mentioned above, the whole light is reversible for left/right so whatever they used on the head also had to be used on the tail. The body will be flipped 180* and the head/tail swap positions. Another way of looking at their attachment method: no worries of cross threading fine aluminum threads.

@clcustom1911 It is almost painful to disassemble the OWL. You have to push and turn so hard that if you have any oil/moisture on your hands you're screwed. That thing is not coming off on accident.

Reactions: ddavis
tWtuYJl.jpg

I have an OWL, the throw and spill is about perfect, but it is big and heavy. I think it's very well made, but I do not like the switch sensitivity, nor do I like the quick-press for constant on.

tWtuYJl.jpg

I have an OWL, the throw and spill is about perfect, but it is big and heavy. I think it's very well made, but I do not like the switch sensitivity, nor do I like the quick-press for constant on.

Sounds like you need the REIN! Slightly better specs than the Owl, same warm tint, smaller, lighter, more adaptable. I had an Owl and now have two Reins.

Sounds like you need the REIN! Slightly better specs than the Owl, same warm tint, smaller, lighter, more adaptable. I had an Owl and now have two Reins.
I ended up going with Micro Rein for my Scorpion. After people bring up the fact that my fingered would be in the way of my red dot that’s mounted directly on my rail made go way from the OWL.

Reactions: ddavis