• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cmmg vs Tactical Solutions M4 22 dedicated upper

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just as the title states, I'm unsure which of these I want. I know the Nordic is probably the best, but I like the standard AR look of the Cmmg and Tac sol. Just looking for comparisons of reliability, accuracy, and any other difference between the two before I make my decision.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Cmmg vs Tactical Solutions M4 22 dedicated upper

Tag - IM also interested in this. I do want it to be accurate as it can be

TacSol usually under 1" at 50 yards, CMMG about 3-5" at same distance.
I've had 2 or more of each unit.

Is the Nordic any more accurate?

I have heard that CMMG will put a match barrel on built by someone else. I have not confirmed this though. IT would be nice to get to 1/4in at 50. If the 10/22 can do it this should be able to as well. Right?
smile.gif

If your looking for 1/4" groups at 50 yards, you need to be looking at a CLE...

http://www.compasslake.com/22uppers.htm

He'll make any configuration you want, I have a 20" HB and it will shoot in the .2" area with good ammo.

One of my TacSols would shoot in the .5-.6" area. My current one is a .75" gun (with the right ammo).

I have no experience with the Nordic.

You'll have to put a good trigger in whatever lower you use to get there and a free float handguard on the upper.

Thanks for the replies. How does a spikes Upper st-22 compare to the two mentioned above? Found a used spikes that I might buy
smile.gif

Alan

I shot in my local club's tactical 22lr match last night. There were quite a few Nordic's there, including my own, that ran flawless. There was a guy there that had a Spikes that had serious issues and was going to dump it. Spikes no longer makes them, so if you go with one you better make sure it works. I have also shot against a guy with a TacSol and it had stovepipe issues.

I'm not trying to name drop here (cause I don't personally know him), but Rob Leatham shot my Nordic last night and was really impressed. He was recommending the Nordic or a custom built upper by Accuarcy Speaks to his buddy with the Spikes.

+1 on the compass lake. more accurate and runs better than my model one.

I picked up the Tactical Solutions AR-22 LT upper a few weeks ago, and 8 Black Dog Machine magazines with the stainless feed lips. Don't know if it was the ammo (Federal 550-round brick, purchsed in 2008) or something else, but it stovepiped like a Motherf**er.

Admittedly the following are possible:

- Problem with the ammo. It was purchased near the end of the "Obama fear craze" when ammo prices doubled so Federal could have been putting out substandard ammo.

- Weak AR hammer spring. I mounted it on a cheap ShARps lower with the worst trigger I have ever pulled so the spring could be weak.

- Not boken in action. I cleaned and lubed it before taking it out, but it was the first time shot.

It's now sitting at the back of the safe due to other rifles taking up my attention lately, but after checking out the .22 Rimfire competition last night at the local gun club as a spectator, I think I'll drag it out and troubleshoot it. At the very least I have a warranty to rely on.

As for accuracy: at 50 yards with an Aimpoint CompML2 the upper is extremely accurate. I was easily 1" with an entire 26-round magazine. Mind you: that Aimpoint is a non-magnified red dot, so for accuracy I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering the price.
------------------------
Edit: I just realized I used the wrong term. I typed "stovepipe" when in fact the rounds completely failed to fire. In my mind, stovepipe is a round that fails to eject and jams either in the chamber with the next round or within the upper receiver, partially ejecting.

I just dumped my dump pouch and counted all the damaged rounds I saved from the range.

I loaded up 180 rounds (6x 25-round mags, 2x 15-round mags), didn't shoot 10 rounds in the last mag, and have 14 stovepiped rounds.

12% failure rate.
------------------------
Edit: I just realized I used the wrong term. I typed "stovepipe" when in fact the rounds completely failed to fire. In my mind, stovepipe is a round that fails to eject and jams either in the chamber with the next round or within the upper receiver, partially ejecting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the compass lake. more accurate and runs better than my model one. </div></div>

Is the Compass Lake upper really a grand?
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Maim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just dumped my dump pouch and counted all the damaged rounds I saved from the range.

I loaded up 180 rounds (6x 25-round mags, 2x 15-round mags), didn't shoot 10 rounds in the last mag, and have 14 stovepiped rounds.

12% failure rate. </div></div>

Try different ammo. Maybe CCI mini-mags, or Blazer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try different ammo. Maybe CCI mini-mags, or Blazer. </div></div>

Yeah, the CCIs are my next try. I'll start a new thread later. May be something else going on and I don't want to crap up this thread. Sorry OP!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Maim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the compass lake. more accurate and runs better than my model one. </div></div>

Is the Compass Lake upper really a grand?
shocked.gif
</div></div>

More like $1,100, same as Accuracy Speaks $1,100.

For CLE, barrel is at least than $300/400 (Douglas vs Krieger), $250 M-261 bolt and mag inserts, free float, "clock"FLB, match rear sight.

Think about a Salvage of CZ, and then an Achutz.

I've got the Tacsol LT I bought used here. It shoots Wolf and SK standard under 1" at 50yds.
No problem with either. CCI SV, Fed Champion and Mini mags were crap.

Factory RRA 2 stage trigger in the lower.

Thanks guys. I looks like a CLE is in my future.

I also have a Tacsol LT . 1 inch at 50 yards with assorted bulk , some better than others . I did have to send it back however when I first picked it up . Bought it second hand , and I was getting out of battery issues with it . Lon at Tacsol took care of me , replacing the barrel and getting an upgrade to the latest bold configuration . Even sent me a prepaid shipping label , not a dime out of my pocket and only a 3 week turnaround . Great company to deal with

I went with the Tacsol and had it out yesterday morning. Shot well with no feeding or ejection problems. Really a fun rifle!

Alan