• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Auction Unertl 10x

Could very well be, but I thought we were talking about CMP auctions.

Someone may be able to provide an exact number of the Unertl 10X scopes purchased. Historically USMC requirements seem to have been based on the number of snipers (people) in the table of organization plus a percentage for spares.

At some point in time US Optics got a contract to refurbish the USMC scopes which kind of suggests that there was no new production of the originals.

Maybe 10 years ago the last iteration of Unertl (under new management) was offering a civilian version of the 10X scope but they very shortly veered off the rails offering yet one more M1911 clone. I don't believe the new company got very far in its sales of the Civilian 10X.

All in all i would suspect the USMC total procurement would have been less than 3000 units - but that's just a guess on my part.

Out of curiosity, how many of these scopes were purchased by USMC?

No solid numbers for you, but I can say this......

All the "USMC SNIPER" Unertls I have seen were in the 1xxx series, meaning no more than 1000 of those could have been produced.

The "10X SNIPER", 2xxx series was reserved for law enforcement, and I understand only in the neighborhood of 83 of those were produced. (Just trivia for you- not USMC contract as per your question)

Likewise, there was a "C3 SNIPER" series made for Canada's Parker-Hale C3A1 , and the couple I have seen thus marked were in a separate 1xxx serial number series (separate from the "USMC SNIPER" 1xxx series). (Obviously, also not USMC contract)

Then there was the "USMC 50CAL.", 5xxx series made for the .50 cal. Barrett.

Only the 1xxx series and 5xxx series were USMC contract as far as I know, meaning that a maximum of 2000 Unertls could have been produced under USMC contract, if I'm thinking through this correctly.

No solid numbers for you, but I can say this......

All the "USMC SNIPER" Unertls I have seen were in the 1xxx series, meaning no more than 1000 of those could have been produced.

The "10X SNIPER", 2xxx series was reserved for law enforcement, and I understand only in the neighborhood of 83 of those were produced. (Just trivia for you- not USMC contract as per your question)

Likewise, there was a "C3 SNIPER" series made for Canada's Parker-Hale C3A1 , and the couple I have seen thus marked were in a separate 1xxx serial number series (separate from the "USMC SNIPER" 1xxx series). (Obviously, also not USMC contract)

Then there was the "USMC 50CAL.", 5xxx series made for the .50 cal. Barrett.

Only the 1xxx series and 5xxx series were USMC contract as far as I know, meaning that a maximum of 2000 Unertls could have been produced under USMC contract, if I'm thinking through this correctly.

That makes a lot of sense.

Unertl used on our C3A1. A rare breed. I would guess less than 5 in civilian hands. They have a different serial pattern, I dont know if this is genuine or not... The top one is a USO.... restamped?

Last edited:
Between 1980-1988 only about 660 Unertls were delivered to the Corp, Serial number range 1006-1673, not including the 50cal scopes. As previously mentioned there were also LE scopes made by Unertl and the Canadian version. Where things get a little convoluted was when the company was sold, I believe that new owners (Col Rocky Greene) manufactured some scopes from existing left over parts stock, I know some were T marked but others I am not so sure about.

Last edited:
The top scope is a USO MST-100 scope that USO have marked as " C3 " , in short its just a MST-100 with different than normal markings .
The Unertls made for the Canadian Army , have a different elevation knob/cam , its in metres , ie 1-8 , meaning 100-800m & is camed for the 170gr Norma 308 ammo , they made a total of 571 scopes for the Canadians , for the 500 C3A1 sniper rifles , which gave them , 71 spare scopes .

The top rifle is correct , except for the stock , which is McM A5 ( where the C3A1 uses either a wood TX1200 stock or a McM A2 , green/gray swirl ) and the scope ( MST-100 ) , the bottom one is a actual C3A1 rifle belonging to the Canadian Army , and that photo was taken a few years back in New Zealand , it with other Canadian rifles was sent to have laser tagging devices calibrated to firing on the vibration of firing pin striking .

Later Chris

I have an M40 also.

That makes a lot of sense.

Unertl used on our C3A1. A rare breed. I would guess less than 5 in civilian hands. They have a different serial pattern, I dont know if this is genuine or not... The top one is a USO.... restamped?

Just wanted to share my rifle with you guys. The rifle was built by an X-Marine armorer. The Unertl scope serial number is only 2 digits off from the one on display at the NRA museum. I have never shot it, but take it out every once and awhile and oil her up!!

Vito

Attachments

• Remington700G6355398-01.JPG
    Remington700G6355398-01.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Remington700G6355398-02.JPG
    Remington700G6355398-02.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Remington700G6355398-05.jpg
    Remington700G6355398-05.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 26
Mesca figured this thread covered it, since there's only 12hrs left, and yes with regards to 1021 and 1255.

Last edited: