• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CMP Talladega Unknown Distance

I need to go back. Two years and I’m only 2.5 hours away. No excuse.

Have any of you done any shotgun sports there?

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I am kind of in your boat as I live about 200 miles, give or take 25 miles, from the Whittington center but have never gone there.
I have driven by on I-25 but never had all of my shit together as to having rifles and ammo and showing up.
I hope to correct that this year.

I measure distance in miles and kilometers rather than hours or minutes of drive time.
Am I the only one that measures distance in miles and kilometers rather than time?
When on a range do you measure distance to the target in meters or yards or do you measure time of flight of the bullet to know how far out you are?

If you were going to a shoot would you rather have directions such as, Drive 5 minutes south
on Highway 62 then turn right on Road K for 3 minutes then left and go 6 minutes south - and you are there,--

Or would you rather have directions of go south on Highway 62, 5.6 miles, then turn right on Road K for 2.5 miles then turn left and go 7 miles south, as the road is not too good, and you should be close.

We are Precision shooters? we judge distance to targets in feet,meters/yards not time of flight of the bullet? yet we measure distance of driving in minutes and hours?

How fucked up is that and how did it get started?
Rant over, FM
How do you hour guys know how fast I drive? It makes a difference and is not accurate.

I am kind of in your boat as I live about 200 miles, give or take 25 miles, from the Whittington center but have never gone there.
I have driven by on I-25 but never had all of my shit together as to having rifles and ammo and showing up.

I measure distance in miles and kilometers rather than hours or minutes of drive time.
Am I the only one that measures distance in miles and kilometers rather than time?
When on a range do you measure distance to the target in meters or yards or do you measure time of flight of the bullet to know how far out you are?

If you were going to a shoot would you rather have directions such as, Drive 5 minutes south
on Highway 62 then turn right on Road K for 3 minutes then left and go 6 minutes south - and you are there,--

Or would you rather have directions of go south on Highway 62, 5.6 miles, then turn right on Road K for 2.5 miles then turn left and go 7 miles south, as the road is not too good, and you should be close.

We are Precision shooters? we judge distance to targets in feet,meters/yards not time of flight of the bullet? yet we measure distance of driving in minutes and hours?

Rant over, FM
How do you hour guys know how fast I drive? It makes a difference and is not accurate.
Hell of a rant from a guy whose opening sentence states that he lives between 175-225 miles from a range.

I guess it's because when one lives in a bigger city it's not about miles but about time. So I minimize time of flight to maximize the other things in my life. Apparently I need to recompute my optimal control law and get me some time at CMP. In all seriousness I had a very bad experience there with a former "friend." So I haven't been super motivated to go back. Not by any means CMPs fault, though the RSO probably should have told this person to take a time out from firing. That's all I'll say. Will reiterate nothing to do with the facility itself, it's absolute wonderful.

Just the unknown. Didn't shoot it though. We shot sporting clays, then got my son checked out on the 600yrd.

As for speaking about drive time instead of drive distance, I thought it was pretty obvious why people did this (including precision shooters)

Most people when in their car relate by time how long it takes to get somewhere. Most people have no idea how long a mile or 10 miles or 50 miles is, but they all know 100% how long it takes for 30 minutes to pass (and that also allows us to include traffic info) I have been know to say 30 minutes with little traffic or an hour during rush hour traffic, you could say 15 miles, but conveys less information to most drivers ;)

How about we tell distance to destination in miles and you figure out how long it will take you to drive it?

Drive time has too many variables such as construction delays, rate of speed, weather conditions, traffic conditions, route taken etc.
A distance in miles via a set route is way more accurate and lets you know where you are going and how to calculate how long it will take to get there.

Tony the Tiger, you are correct! My distance to Raton is accurate as to mileage, I am just not certain as to how far it is to the range from Raton and which exit you take so I gave it 25 miles.

All of you are correct in the fact that people have become too stupid to know how far a mile is or a mile and a half until they settle down behind their rifle to try that shot and then think,"Wow, that is quite a ways."

I live far out in the Boonies and directions as to how many miles and tenths and L or R as to turns is the only way to get close to where you want to go. 20 minutes south and 10 minutes east will only land you in East Bumfuck Egypt and that is not where you want to be.

Maybe some or all of us need to figure out how to read a map and know which way is North or forever be known as a 2nd. LT.

I have a place on my farm where you can shoot a mile at a 3'X3' plate that is open to any of you Hide members that want to try it.
Do you want the directions in hours and minutes of drive time and wander around like the lost Jew looking for Jesus or do you want me to get specific as to miles and tenths?
Most cars have an odometer. FM

Last edited:

Rant over, FM

Bullet flight is consistent; driving is not. I convert miles to time when planning a trip because I cannot guarantee the velocity of my vehicle.

Reactions: Foul Mike
How about we tell distance to destination in miles and you figure out how long it will take you to drive it?

Ok, that works for me, but I am not "most people" and if I have never driven the route before, I can't tell you how long it will take me as I won't know the speed limits or the normal road conditions (like 2 lanes or 4, choke points, traffic points, lights, etc that all affect the travel time) From where I live 10 miles to the east is a hell of a lot slower to travel than 10 miles to the west...

Best condition is I give people both a time and a distance :)

I have a place on my farm where you can shoot a mile at a 3'X3' plate that is open to any of you Hide members that want to try it.
Do you want the directions in hours and minutes of drive time and wander around like the lost Jew looking for Jesus or do you want me to get specific as to miles and tenths?
Most cars have an odometer. FM

From you I would expect GPS coordinates, latitude and longitude, to the exact spot the tip of my barrel needs to be at when I pull the trigger ;)

Post up and if the travel time won't take me too long, I will come try it ;)

I will PM you Lat.&Long. as well as distance from the nearest town.
Actually Lat.&Long. is very easy as the auto-steer on our tractors is run off GPS. You can GoogleEarth the info and see what it looks like.

PM sent with location.

With your last post you proved my point as to traffic conditions etc. and how stupid it is to use minutes and hours, but I will give you that adding in accurate counts of miles and route taken does and can work.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenny1773
Thanks for the PM. If I could be up that way this weekend, I would! but sadly that is a bit of a trek from Alabama in both miles and time ;)

Maybe this sums it up better, If anyone ever gives instructions to my wife, it better be distance by time :D :D :D

Miles don't matter. I want to know how much of my life is being used up being behind the wheel. When you need to be somewhere at a specific time, miles doesn't tell you dick. Driving 2 miles in Manhattan NY At 2pm is different than the same distance in Manhattan KS at 2am...

I am still going with both are helpful depending on where you are and who you are talking to

I google earth viewed around Foul Mikes farm, and yeah you are not finding anything there unless you grew up there :D Its like thousands of acres of very pretty farm land with little roads scattered all about.

Telling you to take a left on a road that is .5 miles from another road would be more accurate than telling you to drive 3 minutes and take a left.

In the city though, its a different story. I can tell someone that I am a 25 minute drive no traffic and a 40 minute drive in traffic from the Avondale Brewing Company in Birmingham would probably convey more information than to them than 14 miles

I work with whatever I got.

I see the CMP Talladega is back open to the public, anyone know if the Unknown Distance Steels range ever opened?

Back in Feb or March they had another platform under construction. The steel (all animal shaped to my knowledge) had been moved from the sporting clays cart area, so I'd assume it's been placed. (Rant: CMP should use chicom and border jumper shaped steel to live up to their intended purpose.)

Nice folks, give them a call. I'll probably shoot their clays course in the next few weeks and can check.

Reactions: 308pirate

Rant over, FM

ever heard of light years?

Ya'll haven't even touched the top of "female/wife/girlfriend" directions.

First off, everything is "up". Doesn't matter which direction you travel on a 2 way highway, or which direction the compass needle is pointing,,, "you go up here until you hit Safeway, then turn at the lights and go up until you get to McDonalds".....

God help me.

Reactions: MtnCreek
Ya'll haven't even touched the top of "female/wife/girlfriend" directions.

First off, everything is "up". Doesn't matter which direction you travel on a 2 way highway, or which direction the compass needle is pointing,,, "you go up here until you hit Safeway, then turn at the lights and go up until you get to McDonalds".....

God help me.
If I understood it, I'm pretty sure I'd be locked up in an asylum.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Back in Feb or March they had another platform under construction. The steel (all animal shaped to my knowledge) had been moved from the sporting clays cart area, so I'd assume it's been placed. (Rant: CMP should use chicom and border jumper shaped steel to live up to their intended purpose.)

Nice folks, give them a call. I'll probably shoot their clays course in the next few weeks and can check.
You talkin Alabama?

Rant over, FM

If youve never been to the Whittington Center, stop talking and go.

@MtnCreek thanks! Was thinking about going in a week or two, if no one posted about unknown distance I would have gone anyway to shoot 600 yards, been a while... This is just a bonus :)

Excellent. I need to sight in a bunch of stuff. May try to hit it Sunday or take a day off next week.

We need to meet up and go soon!

You shoot clays? Their sporting course is usually pretty good.

I've shot their rifle ranges a few times, but can't put up with it for long. The RO's do a good job but still plenty of stupid going on.

Reactions: Snipe260
You shoot clays? Their sporting course is usually pretty good.

I've shot their rifle ranges a few times, but can't put up with it for long. The RO's do a good job but still plenty of stupid going on.
Haven’t shot clays in years but love it. I was a wing shooter most of my life. Quail hunted and pheasant religiously for about 25 yrs.

If anyone shoots the UKD range, ask them if rimfire is allowed. I assume it would be, but would like to know. That could be interesting.

If I can get all my crap done tomorrow I may drive down Sunday. Realistically I can see next weekend more than this weekend.

I'm itching to go this weekend but my wife had surgery last week.

May see you Sunday... :-D

Bettajdbka.jpg
You will do what your told mister!😂

• Haha
Reactions: Snipe260