• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL for Factory Rem700?

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
I've got a Rem700 AAC-SD that I'm going to start loading for and was wondering where you guys are seating them for the best accuracy? I've got Alpha Type 2 mags, so I can load out to 2.965" if need be.

2.84" is the longest I can load to in mine with a M5 bottom metal and AICS mags.
2.84" wasn't mag length....but it's the longest I could reliably go without catching the feed ramp with the bullet tip and causing a failure to feed.

2.96", if memory serves me correctly, was what I measured with the COL gauge (using 168gr Amax) to be touching the lands on the long-throated factory Remington that I have.

Last edited:
My Remington 700 in an AICS chassis running AICS mags (5rd and 10rd) is really accurate at 2.80 with 175gr SMKs and just a bit longer with 168gr AMAXs which are seated to 2.85. It actually worked out that I leave my seating die at the exact same setting for both bullets and due to the shape of the AMAXs it ends up being a tad longer but still really accurate.

I load mine 1 to 2 K off the lands, for "accuracy", but I have to single feed them. I can't/ won't give you my number, cause it's mine! It doesn't matter. cause you have to measure your gun, anyway. Using some one elses number would be dangerous/ guesswork, for you.

When I had a Remington 700 5R, the throat was so long I couldn't touch the lands with a 175 SMK. This said, some bullets can handle jump while others, like Bergers, prefer to be at or in the lands. My gun liked the 175 SMKs and loved the 155 Lapua Scenars. I don't have the load data in front of me but as I recall the 175s were at 2.80 to 2.820 OAL and the 155s were at 2.850 OAL.

I guess my smiley face didn't print. Didn't want to sound snotty. It's just that "they" say 1-3K off the lands is optimal. Some Benchrest guys shoot jammed, in the lands. Measuring your gun is the only way to know where you are. The tools are pretty inexpensive. Good luck.

I load mine to max mag length, which is 2.870"

I tested and the longer they got, the better they shot. But limited by mags.