• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COAL question, Help

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im new to Reloading and am starting to bullet seat my first set of bullets (Sierra 52gr. HPBT, .223 AR). So I got my Forester BR seating die and a dummy bullet and got it set at 2.200 COAL but the next couple bullets I seated did not come out at 2.200. One bullet seated at 2.208 and the next one came out at 2.203.None went over 2.209 tho. I seated five dummy rounds and the only one that came out EXACTLY at 2.200 was the first one i set up (some came close at 2.201). The question is, is that small of a difference going to matter? I just dont see that die seating every bullet EXACTLY at that small of a difference. I was told thats normal by someone thats been reloading for 20yrs. but I thought i would ask you guys. I just need a answer on this question before I go ahead and start seating the rest of the batch.

Re: COAL question, Help

Read the posts in "OAL CHARTS", second one above this.

You are fine, such minute variatons in OAL are irrelivant for most purposes.

Case lengths, as such, have no bearing on OAL.

Are you measuring from the ogive? If not, that is most likely where the deviation is coming from.

The meplats on the Sierra's/Bergers will create those minute variations if your measuring to the tips like with the Hornady/Stoney point OAL tool...load away!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is, is that small of a difference going to matter?</div></div>
You're fine. If that's all the variation you get, you're doing a lot better than me.