• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cocking Piece Angle

Edds

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2012
Oklahoma
Can someone explain why this Model 700 part would not work just as well if the angle was cut at 90°.

000 Cocking Piece.jpg

do you mean an engineering-type answer like the risk of stress risers ?

do you mean an engineering-type answer like the risk of stress risers ?
My primary interest was safety and the ability to go bang when I pull the trigger.

I'm interested in any type of answer as long as I can comprehend it.

Could be that angle is just for more consistency with production tolerances and or durability?

Simple answer:

The angle matches the angle of the trigger sear bar it mates with. All 700 triggers have that angle, & hence all 700 style cocking/sear pc's also have this angle.

More complex answer:

The why..........If the interface between the cocking pc/sear - trigger sear was not angled, it would hang fire or fail to fire. When you pull the trigger on a 700 the sear is released to move straight down only. The full striker spring tension is applied at 90 degrees to the trigger sear when the bolt is closed. If sear mating surfaces where 90 degrees to the direction the sear needs to move to fire, it would likley not move at all.

Safety is dependent on how much sear engagement there is between these to mating surfaces. If things were so out of spec that very minimal engagement/mesh was present then it would be possible that the cocking piece could slip over past the trigger sear causing an accidental discharge.

The picture below is the cocking piece from a Bergara B14R rimfire. Since this is a Rem 700 footprint action and takes 700 triggers notice the same angle as shown in OP on your 700 cocking pc.
I modified this via cutting it back to remove .070 cock on close, but I maintained the factory angle. You can see the dark wear mark on the shinny machined spot. This shows how much engagement I have with the Huber 700 trigger sear.
IMG_6008 r1.jpg