• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cold gear for long hunting sits. Sitka worth the money?

I just ordered a pair of Baffin Apex boots
they're rated to -148°F. I'll see if my feet get cold this winter calling coyotes.

I have a problem keeping my feet warm on cool/cold hunts as well. One thing I have found is that it does not matter how well the boots are rated if you cannot keep your feet dry. I have had boots rated for -35 on hunts in moderately cool weather (teens and 20's) and without a good wicking material and an absorption layer it did not work. Just a reminder to remember the basics.

If that does not work buy some heat packs!
Best of Luck!

Feet get cold from sinking cold from the cold ground into your feet, not by the cold air. The warmest cold weather boots have more insulation under the foot than what surrounds the foot.

A couple tips:

Buy cheap closed cell foam pad and stand / place your feet on, sit on, lay on when you stop and not moving.

When sitting or not moving, sit so your legs are not restricting the blood flow down to them.

When lacing your boots, stand full body weight on one foot at a time. This will allow full body weight on the foot to help not over tighten the laces.

When lacing boots, do not run the laces over the top of the foot but run the lace up the holes. At the ankle, lace as normal. This will help keep the laces from cutting off circulation on top of the foot yet allow the lace to snug up the ankle for support. Unlace your boots when stopping and sitting for long periods. There are more lacing tricks.

Run Degree antiperspirant all over your feet before heading out; between toes the whole foot. Just like underarms, this will keep the pores of your feet closed and not sweat as much meaning drier warmer feet. Plus, feet and boots will not get damp from the sweating and not stink or need to be aired out and dried as much. I carry a travel size Degree with me on all my trips.

Never use 100% wool socks. Use a 60/40 combo so the sock has the best performance of wool and synthetic materials.

Good luck

I have a problem keeping my feet warm on cool/cold hunts as well. One thing I have found is that it does not matter how well the boots are rated if you cannot keep your feet dry. I have had boots rated for -35 on hunts in moderately cool weather (teens and 20's) and without a good wicking material and an absorption layer it did not work. Just a reminder to remember the basics.

If that does not work buy some heat packs!
Best of Luck!

Feet get cold from sinking cold from the cold ground into your feet, not by the cold air. The warmest cold weather boots have more insulation under the foot than what s....

Never use 100% wool socks. Use a 60/40 combo so the sock has the best performance of wool and synthetic materials.

Good luck

That's a lot of of information and I am going to try every bit of it. My problem involves bit of medical wrapped into the general problem of keeping my feet warm. Your info has several things I have not tried. Thank you Very Much!

I don't wear one brand of anything but I've hunted -30 before and lived, lol. If you are sitting in terribly cold weather like this it's tough to stay warm. Toe warmers are a godsend. Hand warmers too.

As for clothes, I wear 2000 gram pack boots, synthetic base sock, maybe a medium weight sock and then a thick wool one. With toe warmers, of course. For pants I wear the thickest wool underwear I can get, THICK pajama pants ( they work awesome this way), jeans, then my wool over-pants.

If hunting down to -20 I won't bow hunt, otherwise I'd freeze just trying to keep my arms skinny enough to shoot the bow.

The people here have great ideas for top clothing but my hands always freeze, along with my feet. I have a hand pouch with hand warmers... Its super quiet... Until it goes below -10... At this point it's loud and just isn't that warm ( even with gloves on). At this point I just pull my arms in my sleeves and put my hands on my chest.

Lately I've seen Insulated, or battery heated body suits.. they seem interesting. I knew a guy once who brought out a cold weather sleeping bag and either put that on himself or got in it... That's another idea...

I didn't name brands. You don't need a $1200 setup to stand hunt and live in ultra cold... You just need clothes.. someone mentioned the air Force artic gear... It works well, but always layer yourself well under it.

I have a bunch of Sitka gear and as far as I am concerned it is not worth the price tag. The gear is well thought out and well made, but not dbl the cost of other gear that will keep you as warm.
Seriously consider checking out heater body suit, iwom and the arctic shield body bags.

Reactions: Chips26 and 45.308
I dont know about Sitka, but my Kifaru pullover is the warmest thing I've ever put on. Youll die moving or hiking in it. Its extremely well built too and also packs small. I took it out to Utah for coyotes in February and it was almost too warm for most of the first morning stands. One morning I was REALLY glad I had it though.

https://store.kifaru.net/kifaru-apparel-c7.aspx

I just ordered a pair of Baffin Apex boots https://www.svspowersports.com/products/baffin-apex-polar-series-mens-boots-black-bark; they're rated to -148°F. I'll see if my feet get cold this winter calling coyotes.

Yup, those Baffin boots ain’t no joke! I used to work in the oil fields of WY, CO, and ND, and in winter time I’d be outside doing rig moves in -30 to -40 with stupid crazy wind! Whenever I had my Baffins on, my feet were always toasty!??

With that said, I wouldn’t wear them for the kind of hunting I do, as they’re too big and bulky, and I hike a lot of miles in search of deer and elk.

What’s cold where you are? It gets in the 20s here and it takes strategic layering. I bought the Kryptek hunting gear last year. It’s a great outer layer. Warm, quiet, water/wind proof.

Add a good base layer and a down jacket under it. Toasty warm.

Boots? Different story. My feet freeze no matter what I’ve tried so far.
How tight are you lacing your boots? What kind of socks?

How tight are you lacing your boots? What kind of socks?

Wool socks, usually two pair but I debate if that makes it too tight.

For my boots I keep them loose until the top (around the ankle) I make them tighter so they will stay on.

I’ve used several boots up to 800grams of thinsulate and Muck arctic sports.

Try one pair of socks with adequate room and loosening up on the laces a bit. Made a world of difference for me!

I sit in wet duck blinds and goose pits in -5 degree snow with guys wearing their latest model Sitka bibs and jackets. It’s a great balance of weight and cold protection, especially for when having to get up to pick up kills and resetting decoys...but sitting long term they get colder than me in my much cheaper Cabelas bargain cave specials ... and when wet, they are miserable. It’s all about proper layering for what you will be in and dealing with.

Sitka all the way. I prefer the camo patterns and their layering system. Customer service is 2nd to none - great group of hunters to deal with when ordering.