• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Cold gear for long hunting sits. Sitka worth the money?

Widowmaker300

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
Jackson center Ohio
I am a very small person 140 pounds and like 6% body fat staying warm and comfortable for time in the stand is a challenge sometimes. What’s your go to for hours in the stand on cold days?

Carhartt Extreme. I wear it down to 40 below and never have been cold. Even riding my sleds at 100 mph. It's a bit stiff at first but a couple cycles through the washer and dryer fix that. Still pliable enough to defend myself from coyotes with a 9mm from the sled.

I think the higher end Sitka gear with gore-tex on the outside and down on the inside is well worth the money. I think my suit is called the Boreal? I purchased it from Midway when they had their big Sitka sale last year. It is the warmest gear I have ever owned.
19926.jpeg

What’s cold where you are? It gets in the 20s here and it takes strategic layering. I bought the Kryptek hunting gear last year. It’s a great outer layer. Warm, quiet, water/wind proof.

Add a good base layer and a down jacket under it. Toasty warm.

Boots? Different story. My feet freeze no matter what I’ve tried so far.

I work outside year round in the northeast and the older i get the harder it is to stay warm. Staying warm starts w a good base layer! Have been out snowmobiling in -28 degrees using Klims gear w no issues.. I have Sitka gear which works BUT i think its way over priced. Carhartt Extreme is probably your best bang for the buck........

I wear Sitka and Kuiu. I use the Sitka Kelvin down over a kuiu Merino wool base, with the Stormfront jacket over the top of that and keeps me warm in the CO high country. I'm like you with very little body fat so I don't have much insulation. Good layering with the down and a Gore shell does wonders for me.

I'm similar in size and body fat, but work up a sweat hiking in (or cross-country skiing when snow on the ground) and then get chilled once I stop, when calling coyotes. As mentioned, a good layering system helps; my solution = mesh sleeveless shirt next to skin, covered by wool quarter-zip t-neck baselayer (I don't do polypropylene anymore), full zip wool sweater for breathability while moving; then once I get on stand, I don the military Level 7 primaloft outer layer (jacket and pants). I can sit still for a long time when temps go below zero. Plus I bring a padded seat cushion to keep my butt off the frozen ground/snow. I pack all this along with e-caller and rifle in an Eberlestock Phantom backpack.

NW Wyoming here...I went from Filson to Sitka and now have the complete layering system from KUIU. I and old and have circulation issues - this gear has extended my life in the field.

I am talking extremes - September antelope 90 plus degrees in the desert to -20 and 30mph winds in the high country.

Layers.

Expensive, but at my stage of life I want to get in all I can and this gear has helped tremendously me over the last 2 seasons.

Layering is the best workable solution.
If you wear everything you need to stay warm in the stand on the walk in you'll be full sweat.
The type of clothing also relies upon weapon choice.
A bow will not tolerate much bulk in the arms.
Merino, fleece ect for base layers and hard shells for top coverage.

R

Reactions: HeavyAssault
What wool base layers would you suggest from the guys wearing wool? I have the same foot problem no matter what I wear, currently wear muck artic sport. And my cold is Ohio.

Check out Ullfrotte wool gear also. Great for layering! Their 800 g/m2 socks are the best if you get cold feet!

What wool base layers would you suggest from the guys wearing wool? I have the same foot problem no matter what I wear, currently wear muck artic sport. And my cold is Ohio.

Here’s what I do when it’s in the teens or colder and I’m sitting on stand. I wear either Cabelas Power Dry Expedition weight (I think. It’s the heavyweight) base layer or the Under Armor 4.0 base layer, these are next to skin. Then I put on a loose fitting base over that. Next is a fleece pant Addidas brand workout/lounge pants. Up top is a zip up fleece. Then my bibs and orange 3pc jacket. Top it off with a neck gaiter and stocking cap. Boot wise I have Sorel Glaciers with a heavy wool sock.

It seems like a lot but is really thin and very warm. As it heats up I can take off a layer or unzip. I hunt on a ridge top so the wind is ALWAYS blowing so I bundle up. My circulation is shit in my hands and feet so I use hand warmers and hobnob gloves made by Wells Lamont. The restriction of gloves on my fingers doesn’t allow me to use heavily insulated gloves especially when you wear an XL and can’t find larger sizes.

I learned real quick thru MIL training and AFG ops that layers are the best way to go when needing to be active. Wearing layers that work well together is key. What works for me: Synthetic/synthetic blend next to the skin helps get the "wet" off the skin. Next layer is a wool/cotton garment. Then any sort of REALLY light weight windproof and "breatheable" type garment. The outermost layer is determined by the actual outside climate/ area you are operating: Straight Goretex with/without any lining, Goretex with good quality insulation, heavy duty fabrics can be noisy so maybe some sort of "fleece" type insulated/non-insulated outer.

Long sits in a stand may drive you to a heavy duty, high insulating factor garment like the bag style or jump suits. I for one loved the high waist "pant bib" or full bib style outers. Makes things easy to remove, cool off, or just change when needed.

Layered sitka on top, old school wool and tin pants on the low end. But hey, im old and when i get cold i head for the chair.

Reactions: BCX
I started using minus33 base layer stuff.warm down to 0 and alot less expensive than sitka.for a good jacket sitka or first lite even a cabelas mt50 jacket is about as warm

I primarily bowhunt, predominantly whitetail out of a tree stand. Which means little to no movement. I hunt through December and in the morning can be down in the single digits (in December, now it's not that cold). I have found Sitka gear to be outstanding. It's very expensive, but it's one of only a few pieces that is truly wind and waterproof. What you will find a lot of other manufactures claim is wind and water resistant. They tend to use a DWR coating to provide wind and water resistance. The windproof aspect of the Sitka gear I own (Fanatic series) is what makes it so good in the cold, IMHO. I resisted buying Sitka for years because of the cost, but now that I own it I wish I would've years ago. On top of that their CS is top shelf. I will be hunting Elk next september in Colorado and will need different gear for that, and yes it will be Sitka.

I really like Kuiu gear. Really nice stuff. My only issue is the inseam length. Their “regular” inseam is 34” which is too long for me. If they made a 32” I’d have a few of their pieces.

Reactions: WoobieJ
You truly get what you pay for with Sitka. I've bought both my duck hunting jackets on sale ( year end clearance ) and some other pieces at full price. Everything from them is more than worth it. My wife wants them to finally come out with women's waterfowl so she can have some too lol. Never been cold or wet in any of their gore-tex stuff.

That all being said you could just get some poly pros and ECWCS odds and ends. The military has really stepped up their game on the cold weather gear.

Also anything merino wool you can get your hands on base layer wise is elfin awesome. As many above have pointed out layers are the best way to go.

If weight and bulk are not an issue, I like the windproof fleece pants and jacket that predator camo sells. Just used it this week, but the temp was only in the mid to high 20s and light wind.

I have a “high loft” primaloft jacket. Forget who makes it. It is awesome. If I was just sitting I would go for heavy duty primaloft pants and jacket. Wear light clothes for the hike in and then suit up once in place. Take a surplus wool blanket too for insulation from the ground or blind floor. Best thing I have found. I have laid on the ground for 4 hrs without moving more than my head in sub freezing temps up in Idaho with this setup and have been very very warm.

Reactions: bullseye13
I’m a smaller guy, and I’d really reccommend SmartWool for your base layers. I use their medium weight pants and long sleeve base layer, and they’ve worked well for me. My context has been camping (sitting around) and hiking, mostly in Texas, but I’ve used them mountain hiking in Ireland in November, too. Hiking in Texas, I would overheat with the top and bottom base layers, but they’re great for sitting. I also used their socks with some waterproof Vasque boots in Ireland, and I was comfortable in spite of all the rain, puddles, and wind.

This past week I went camping in west Texas (lows were in the high 20’s or low 30’s), and I added a SmartWool neck gaiter. That little piece of gear made a huge difference in feeling comfortable.

I don’t work for SmartWool or get any money from them, but my experience with their products has been great. If I had the money, I’d probably start adding in Sitka gear piece by piece. Also, Cabela’s has a base layer that seemed interesting. I haven’t tried it, but it might be worth looking in to.

75F61065-136A-4CEA-A61E-CEBDF41B7290.jpeg

Those Cabela’s are worth the money. I have 2 sets of them. They wear well and really breathe. They are Polartec PowerDry. Under Armor 4.0 is warmer but they don’t breathe like the PowerDry. I wore the Cabelas everyday for 5 months because I worked outside at night in the elements and they are comfortable.

I use the kryptek cold gear. It’s great and they usually have a sale around Christmas. I’ve sat entire days with a proper base layer when it’s just above zero and had no issues.

Sitka and Kuiu are good brands but you can get the same performance for less money. A lot depends on your “need” for camouflage patterns. Maybe a camo outer shell but lots of options for down and wool underneath. Make sure you don’t get too hot on the way in, if your comfortable when you leave the truck your dressed to warm and will sweat and be miserable.

I’m a fan of all the high end technical climbing and backcountry ski brands, buy whatever is on sale at the time. That said I do own quite a bit of Sitka and Kuiu gear.

Whatever you get, make sure you get or have a pack to carry the bulky stuff on your hike. Then get dressed once you are near your final position.
I like to hike in fast and a little on the cold side. Keeps me from sweating. It will surprise you how little clothing you need when moving fast with a pack and rifle. Even in bitter cold. If you get to your position fairly dry and dress quickly you can sit for quite some time if you do not have exposed skin. Exposed skin will frostbite in cold and wind regardless of your other clothing.

I finally had enough being cold about 12 years ago and bought some cabelas whitetail extreme MT050. I can honestly say I’ve never been cold wearing it, but it is bulky and heavy - whether wearing it, or toting it in a pack. Switched to Sitka last year and it is just as warm and layers together very well. A lot less bulk and seems to breathe very well. Just expensive...

Reactions: SnipeScopped
Boots are another story. If there is a way to keep feet warm - I haven’t found it. Best thing is to keep them from sweating on way to stand. I think having cold feet is sometimes a reminder that you are alive. Up for opinions on boots

Reactions: SnipeScopped
Reviews on gloves are same way, but I don’t ever have issues with cold hands.

The KUIU super down Pro and Ultra pants/jackets are extremely warm. I remember when I first got the Ultra I tried it on in the house, not moving just sitting on the couch with AC at 68-69 and I was sweating after 2-3 minutes. They are definitely made for sitting and waiting, there are other pieces you can get for active.

I've looked for a long time to find a jacket that was warm and breathable and will hold up to the brush I do a lot of walking/running in the thick swamps of northern MI then stand and wait for the dog to move Bobcat back around so a lot of stop and go I finally found a jacket that works awesome- River west Cascade direct (Ambush Jacket-cold) very warm lots of pockets and when your on the move you can unzip the underarm portion to let it breathe.

Kuiu or Sitka are both very solid options most important for me is to get a good solid base layer and then layer up from there I don’t like a really heavy layer I’d much rather be able to shed. They are both light and pack down nice so you can always pack extra layers in.

I've got a down Kifaru pullover thats warmer than any jacket I've ever put on, Sitka included. Its purely packed for long cold sits, if you try to hike with it on, youll die of heatstroke.

Reactions: Blackhorse1108
Late to the party and resurrected one but to stay warm in the cold, exercise so your heart is efficient at moving blood (warmth) through the entire body. Get and stay hydrated so the blood has volume to move heat through the entire body. Garlic pills or baby aspirin to help thin the blood. Always hike cold so the core can release heat, once stopped add high loft layer to hold in the heat. Take a closed cell foam pad to sit and stand on, insulation between any body part and any contact with cold ground or whatever. Do not sit that will constrict blood flow. Lace boots one at a time with full body weight on each foot, this way, the boot will not be too tight once you start moving. There are lacing tricks too to keep laces loose on the foot but snug on the ankle. One is keep laces loose on the foot, at the ankle, use a friction wrap of 4 times then snug laces up the ankle. Trial and error will find the best way. Before you bounce down the trail, rub antiperspirant like Degree all over your feet and between toes to constrict pores to decrease sweating of the feet. I do want 100% wool socks, a blend of 60/40 in my experience is best as you get the performance of both fabrics, minimizing the faults of both.

Layering is good for movement but being static, high loft single piece is what I found best. WT belay, Patagucci DAS, ID Dolomitti type or a parka for dog mushing. The WT Iditarod Parka at one time was considered the warmest parka on the planet, most times it was too warm to wear. When it comes specific brands, they all use the same materials from the same textile manufactures, its the design and construction details of the garment that separates. Before someone wants to argue, perceived value with customers and yes, the retail world knows and uses this or loyalty, and yes some do have rights to specific fabrics through textile mills but its not really that different, its more marketing than performance. I don't know it all but have 17 years in retail and contact with manufactures and was fortunate to have some inside knowledge. I have been to the backcountry with inside and outside sales reps and been invited to the same by them and business seminars. I know what a half half is, this is where a company will stitch up a garment with left side of one fabric and the other side of something different to compare how the fabrics and even design features perform against each other.

Disclaimer, this is worth exactly what anyone paid for it, I try to pass the information and experience I have gained.

Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: Blackhorse1108
( for me ) Sit, not moving and warm . ECWCS level Vll Loft top and bottom . just pull it over what ever your wearing and sit nice and toasty in the cold . packs-up fairly small in compression sack .

KUIU, Sitka, and the like are nice, but not needed for stationary hunting.

My hunting is treestands for whitetails.

I wear a t-shirt in. I pack it ALL in. I don't care how cold.

Base - Minus 33 merino wool - thin layer

Mid layer - fleece

Primaloft jacket

Windproof jacket last if needed.

Neck Gaiter - makes a huge difference

Answer for hands - handwarmer muff that attaches around waist

Feet? I haven't figured this out completely yet, and I've been hunting whitetails for over 3 decades.

Best approach for feet so far?

Change your socks when you get where you are going - put them in a plastic bag.

Lightweight to medium wool socks - not heavy. You need room in your boots.

I have 2 pieces that will keep my feet warm over my boots - Arctic Shield boot blankets and Icebreaker boot blankets.

For cold weather I wear Irish Setter insulated leather boots with Goretex.

If rubber was better for cold weather cows would be covered in rubber.

When it's cold enough to break out the leather boots I am not concerned about ground scent.

Best base layers I've found are the merino from First Lite. I also love their Woodbury jacket for cold days. Also have a their puffy jacket and pants...I'm kind of a FL fan boy. BUT, for bottom baselayers I love my Kuiu zip-offs. So easy to take off or put back on in the field.

Reactions: uncle_smokey
A little later to the party but for warmer feet put some hand warmer packs in the toes and it'll warm you up some, we do that ice fishing

ECWS Gen III L7 bottoms can be had for super cheap and will roast your chestnuts.

That said I layer with thin wool underwear, wool T-shirt, wool long underwear (top & bottom), Filson wool sweater, fleece bottoms, then Kryptek Vellus jacket and pants. The fleece pants and wool sweater are shed depending on conditions. The sweater is usually packed in.

If it’s really cold, ECWS Gen III L7 bottoms and a Kifaru LPP over thin wool. A lightweight version of the L7 bottoms would be great— think a mate to the LPP, but thus far I haven’t been able justify an upgrade.

Reactions: FireShooter
I got a surplus parka. Big one. Roll it up in a stuff sack and strap it to my pack. Since I'm in Texas wearing super thick layers to and from the stand is a nogo. So I just wrap up in the parka when I get there. Then when I can move around again just pack it back up.

Kuiu super down is the best I've found if you'll be moving around.
Surplus ECWS is wonderful (and cheap) if you'll be stationary.