• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold weather clothing

Tony1320

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
What do you guys wear and suggest for cold weather clothing for shooting? Temperatures around 30-50F

I picked up some icebreaker base layer, redwings boots and smartwool socks. I'm looking for good pants, jacket, and face mask

Anything else you guys would recommend? I don't do well in the cold so I try to go prepared

You're off to an excellent start! I use Icebreaker baselayers exclusively.
I'd suggest an 800 weight goose down sweater/jacket like this one:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...jacket/38832403?showProducts=&sizetype=&size=
I have one of these jackets that I've used almost daily at the barn for about two years. It has some patches but it still insulates well.
For a outer shell layer I prefer Arcteryx LEAF gear. This can sometimes be had at a discount at the Arcteryx outlets in Tulalip, WA and Castlerock, Co. outlet stores....worth a call to each to see what they have in stock. Otherwise, and if on a budget, you can get by with surplus ECWS gear.
Decent pants are made by Mascot . Their Lerida model work pants are here:
https://maworkwear.com/collections/pants/products/lerida-work-pants

As for a mid layer, it's hard to go wrong with TAD gear, Beyond and some other tactical brands.....

Last edited:
30-50 degrees? That's not cold. Thermal underwear, jeans, flannel shirt, gloves, boots, scarf, and a hat. Pretty much anything your mother told you to wear but didn't. If it is wet wear wool instead of cotton. A surplus mild weather parka with hood and removable liner for windy days. It's not a fashion show. If you're new get things second-hand. The subterfuge won't last but at first glance you'll be accepted. :). Also, stay in shape.

Seriously, read a good book about the Chosin Reservoir. It'll warm you up thinking about it on those cold days.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you guys wear and suggest for cold weather clothing for shooting? Temperatures around 30-50F

I picked up some icebreaker base layer, redwings boots and smartwool socks. I'm looking for good pants, jacket, and face mask

Anything else you guys would recommend? I don't do well in the cold so I try to go prepared
Short sleeve pants, tee shirt, and flip flops, 30-50 is spring like.

I just use an army goretex parka and various combos/layers of polypro or fleece under with the usual underarmor or similar shirt. I usually end up taking most off. It has to be stupid cold for me to wear insulated bottoms, but warm socks are good.

Reactions: chuckburmester
Merino wool base layer/long underwear. Merino wool socks. Merino wool hat. Merino wool glove liners. Flannel lined pants from Kuhl. Down jacket. Wool pile/Terry cloth lined gloves. Wind/waterproof layer when needed.

Wool shirt , light wind breaker . A hat that covers ears . They can get cold. Other then that what you have should keep you warm

Merino wool base layer/long underwear. Merino wool socks. Merino wool hat. Merino wool glove liners. Flannel lined pants from Kuhl. Down jacket. Wool pile/Terry cloth lined gloves. Wind/waterproof layer when needed.
OH! sorry, my mistake I thought op was dealing with +30-50 not -30-50........In that case fur lined muk luks, Wolverine hair lined jock strap, nose mitten and a plump girl.....

Last edited:
OH! sorry, my mistake I thought op was dealing with +30-50 not -30-50........In that case fur lined muk luks, Wolverine hair lined jock strap, nose mitten and a pump girl.....

Some of us are sleek and lean. We don't carry a walrus' worth of insulation. It's awesome you're built for the cold. How do you do in the heat?

30-50 in Colorado when the sun is shinning is a completely different environment than Central Florida in 30-50 in November and humid.

Devil is in the details.

Some of us are sleek and lean. We don't carry a walrus' worth of insulation. It's awesome you're built for the cold. How do you do in the heat?

30-50 in Colorado when the sun is shinning is a completely different environment than Central Florida in 30-50 in November and humid.

Devil is in the details.
^^^^ True that ^^^
However I humped the boonies in 120+ also worked iron in SoCal in the summer, wintered in LA ( Lower Alabama ) also learned to pad the aluminum cheek piece on my Mc Cree's chassis to avoid frost bite, so I do know just a little about different weather.
My responses were assuredly tongue in cheek, no intent to wad anyones panties.

^^^^ True that ^^^
However I humped the boonies in 120+ also worked iron in SoCal in the summer, wintered in LA ( Lower Alabama ) also learned to pad the aluminum cheek piece on my Mc Cree's chassis to avoid frost bite, so I do know just a little about different weather.
My responses were assuredly tongue in cheek, no intent to wad anyones panties.
I don’t wear panties

Panty hose make good thermal pants. Rambo wore them in First Blood.

Reactions: PDXGS
For that temperature range I'll have a pair of jeans on with whatever sneakers are close and grab a medium weight Columbia jacket. That's for a "dry" cold.

Jeans
Decent base layer unless the humid is low, then it's a t-shirt
Arc'Teryx Naga or TAD Ranger LT if it's windy
Salomon Shoes

Last year I was riding my bicycle at 5 degrees. I also rode in slushy 35 degree temps and was soaked from mid-thigh down. Difficult to say which was colder.

Having said that, if you're moving around a lot it's one thing. If you're parked somewhere and not generating much heat, it's a whole nother story.

Look for clothing with aerogel insulation. Aerogel makes everything else obsolete. In fact, it's so warm you'll probably overheat.

It's not so much the heat as it is the humidity.

Last edited:
Blue jeans and a carhart jacket, ball cap.
Windy I may put on a base layer. I hate cold knees.

I just came back from a range day a few days ago and it was 40F in the morning and 50F by noon so it was perfect day to test my clothing for the match coming up. I had icebreaker base layers on, long sleeve shirt, arcteryx sweater , 5.11 pants. In the morning I had to put jacket on but by noon I took it off. I could have used slightly warmer pants. I don't do well in the cold at all so I rather be prepared than miserable, when everyone else is dying in the heat i'm enjoying it lol..

You're off to an excellent start! I use Icebreaker baselayers exclusively.
I'd suggest an 800 weight goose down sweater/jacket like this one:
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...jacket/38832403?showProducts=&sizetype=&size=
I have one of these jackets that I've used almost daily at the barn for about two years. It has some patches but it still insulates well.
For a outer shell layer I prefer Arcteryx LEAF gear. This can sometimes be had at a discount at the Arcteryx outlets in Tulalip, WA and Castlerock, Co. outlet stores....worth a call to each to see what they have in stock. Otherwise, and if on a budget, you can get by with surplus ECWS gear.
Decent pants are made by Mascot . Their Lerida model work pants are here:
https://maworkwear.com/collections/pants/products/lerida-work-pants

As for a mid layer, it's hard to go wrong with TAD gear, Beyond and some other tactical brands.....

I'm gonna look into an Arcteryx jacket, something I can use for everyday use too. I will also look into some warmer pants.

I wish I knew a place to buy Arcteryx on sale in Canada

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

You're a Canuck? You gotta be fucking shitting me? :)

https://www.filson.com

Reactions: pmclaine

I live in the Midwest. So 30-50 isn’t terribly cold. Though I have to admit, a rainy 30 degree day or night ain’t much fun.

However, layers is the byword. I use UA-like base. Thickness depends on weather. Thin silklike socks covered with wool ones. If it’s really cold a second base layer. Then a mid weight top. I have recently become very enamoured with Russian gorkas as outerwear. They are typically a thick canvas type of material and come in various material weights, are water repellent and don’t catch on brush. If I’m deep winter hunting/camping I use one that’s fleece lined. I’ve used it with the above described under layers down about five above with great comfort.

Boots are a touchy subject. For me , if it’s dry I use Wolverine hikers. If it’s wet Bates Gortex/Thinsulate.

Jeez you are making us look bad, Canadians wear sweatshirt and shorts...you must live in BC ;)

If you want warm wool pants check out Big bills wool pants 75% Canadian made http://bigbill.com/products/214-0

I wear Timberland boots with Costco wool socks. if you are not sure of the weather and it is going to be near zero Cdn Tire carries
kamik insulated boots they do not give you great mobility like hiking boots but they will keep your feet warm (if not hot for your temp range) https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...insulated-rubber-boot-green-0873282p.html#srp

For tops t shirt, sweatshirt (wal-mart) , fleece jacket (Helly Hanson) and wind breaker (Eddie bauer). icebreaker base layer instead of the t shirt.

I am not sure if you are serious about the face mask i got myself a neck warmer for winter and my wife took it so i got a second one from
mark's work wearhouse, they carry a number of them...the one we got is not listed on their website but can be found in their stores it is a fleece two colours reversible black and grey which is similar to the one in the link but ours is a little thicker which we liked better. https://www.marks.com/en/windriver-microfibremicrofleece-tube-84080.html#84080[color]=BLACK&84080[size]=ONE

because you already said Icebreaker i originally got the mark's neck warmer for myself and the icebreaker (from sportchek) for my wife it is wool and a little airy... my wife prefers the mark's version.
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...neckwarmer-331357891.html#331357891=331357924

thinking outside the box you could always go with shemagh head wrap

most of the items discussed are for winter; but if you are susceptible to the cold then check them out

good luck
Trevor

Last edited:
IMG_1887.JPG

For a day in the 30s I use a smartwool baselayer with regular pants. A good hoodie and then softshell outer layer. Also wool socks and good boots (I rotate my timberlands and red wings)
Top it off with a hat or beanie with ear coverage.

A common theme in this thread is "wool".

Thats a clue.

As someone who works outside in the cold when it comes around spend the money on boots and socks. Everyone has their preferences I like Red Wings when it’s dry and Muck Boots when it’s sloppy. A good thick pair of hiking socks (usually whatever’s on sale). The key is keep your feet warm and dry. The longest walk you’ll ever have is the walk back to your vehicle with cold wet feet.

Icebreaker base layers. I also scrounge Goodwill and other thrift stores for 100% wool sweaters and pants. My go to is a $160 Nordstrom Wool sweater that I picked up at Goodwill for $6 on a tag day. Came out to $3 plus tax.

I generally wear a UA shirt that is loose fitting underneath. That way i can shed layers and keep wicking sweat away from my body.

Pants are jeans, Poly/Cotton BDU pants or Columbia 100% poly pants that I picked up off steep and cheap. Add a thermal base layer as needed.

Always wool socks and poly liners. Always. If truck is nearby, I skip the liners.

As someone who works outside in the cold when it comes around spend the money on boots and socks. Everyone has their preferences I like Red Wings when it’s dry and Muck Boots when it’s sloppy. A good thick pair of hiking socks (usually whatever’s on sale). The key is keep your feet warm and dry. The longest walk you’ll ever have is the walk back to your vehicle with cold wet feet.

I use red wing boots and smartwool socks I love them I cheaped out last year and regretted it.

I ended up using

baselayer shirt, t-shirt, pullover sweater, my winter jacket. i took the jacket on and off during the day depending how windy it was. i think a soft shell would have been perfect instead

icebreaker baselayer pants, jeans, with 5.11 pants over top

What can i say... i have a hard time with the cold lol

I read the post as listing the "cold weather clothing" for -30 to -50 and I thought shit, I just stay inside. But +30-50? Haha...that's not cold. That's a summer night up here.

Reactions: tnichols
Quality wool socks make a surprising difference. I used to cheap out on cold weather socks and ended up with socks nearly too thick for my boots. The cold still bit through. After going to smartwool socks the difference was huge. Nice warm toes all day.

As said before, good socks and several layers. One word of caution, though. Make sure you’re layers are not all skin tight. Wearing 4 UA compression type shirts may not keep you as warm as 4 looser layers. That’s not to say baggy, but just looser. You need a bit of space for the trapped air to warm up.