• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Cold weather gloves

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    What are you using for gloves when it gets real cold? Any cold weather tips? Thanks

Mittens; I used the Army Trigger finger Glove (mittens) and the Army Arctic Mittens in my 22 years tramping through the Alaskan Arctic and living with the Alaskan Natives on the Bering Sea of Western Alaska thinking I had the cats meow. And did as long as I was X-Country Skiing or on snow shoes.

I retired and moved to Wyoming, just about as cold but now I spend more time on 4 wheelers then skis. Hanging on to handle bars is a bit different then pushing with ski poles.

Then I discovered SSEIRUS mittens. These are insulated like snow machine mittens but lighter. They have a silver space blanket type meteral lining on the inside that hold the heat in. I can put a lot of miles hanging onto the handle bars of my 4 wheeler in sub zero temps without my fingers getting cold. And they do get cold do to past cold injuries.

Mittens are for the cold, I do carry light gloves in my pocket incase I need to use my fingers, but as they start to get cold, back into my SSEIRUS mittens and they warm up in a flash. I keep an extra pair in my ruck in fear I will lose one.

https://www.seirus.com/snow-sports/g...B0%5D=1&is_v=1

They make gloves of the same material but I havent tried them. For extreme cold, you need mittens.

Last edited:
    I just spent 3 days Pheasant hunting in -5 to 10F, flurries and overcast. I have a pair of the Gore-Tex Cabela's hunting gloves with the trigger finger. Love them, but they don't make them anymore. I have two pair, fleece mittens from about 40 down to 10 and the warmer ones from 10 down to -30. Elk, Pheasant and Coyote, 7 days in December, always warm.

Agree with Kraig. I ride my quad here in Montana in all kinds of weather. Zero degree temps and below won't stop me. I have a collection of gloves in my attempts to find what would keep my fingers from freezing. Mittens are what you need. I settled on two pairs that I use regularly. Black Diamond Absolute Mittens and Outdoor Research Alti Mittens. They are not cheap and they can be bulky depending on your use. But if you want warm, look no further.

Best mittens I've ever purchased is a pair of swany. They came with a pair of liner gloves. The outer is a full grain leather, windstopper. I use them for calling coyotes and the liner glove is black which wouldn't work for me. So I bought a pair of silk liner gloves that I wear over the liner gloves. So basically two sets of liner gloves. They're excellent.

Location is North Dakota. So it's cold. Hell the last three weeks it hasn't been above 0, except today, finally!

Hope this helps
    Xdeano

Ice Armor extreme mittens. Ice fishing section at sporting goods stores has them. My circulation is really poor in my hands from years of abuse and injury. I like these a lot. Also has a pocket for a Hot Hands pack to slip into. Unfortunately I have to wear gloves at work and I'm outside almost all night every night I work. When I do I wear Wells Lamont insulated work gloves with a Hot Hands packet inside.

I have found nothing insulates and protects better than no-shit for-real made in Austria Dachstein boiled wool mittens. Cover them in a pair of Gore-Tex overmitts (I use Outdoor Research) and done.

I do agree with you all on a pair of silk or synthetic glove liners for when you need to take your hand out of the mitt.

Depends on your activity level.

Stationary - wear latex gloves to keep moisture/Vapor off your insulation. Then wear Sitka incinerator mits with hand warmers in the flip over MIT portion.

High activity - can't help ya... When I hike I wear a kuiu Peleton 200 glove and my hands never get cold. I have a buddy who wears first lite Grizzly mits hiking right next to me.