• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cold weather shooting gloves

@Sogan @021411
Found them.
Glacier Glove Ultra Light Hunter Nylon Flip Mitt. As seen on Amazon...
Went on Fleabay and found a pair of Mediums on "clearance" for about $13.xx shipped. They are the black angler version. Other than the Real Tree print of the Hunter version, they look almost identical. In the mean time I'll try other gloves as well. Thanks again for the heads up on them. My hand thanks you.

Reactions: Holliday
Got them in. They are pretty thin but should help with the wind. Wish they were a bit smaller. The thumb length is retarded long. Not bad for $13. 7D8BEE08-287F-4DE5-B467-DC523C4B2F2C.jpegA98F34E1-3FE1-4DF1-A0D9-162D21EF67FF.jpegFCDCC6EB-4E0A-4C19-961D-97DC0D7ABF9B.jpeg0660E606-D6F7-43D1-A368-375ADDF36141.jpeg

I'm 60 now and for the last 10 years painfully cold fingers has become an issue. I was an avid off-road motorcycle rider/racer fall to spring in Oregon frequently riding in temps from 25-45* until 5 years ago, I was also a year round competitive golfer in Oregon.

This is a condition I appear to have at this point: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

I shot for an hour and a half last week at the range, ambient was 38* and I had disposable handwarmers in my pockets. In the 20-25 minutes of putting gear away and not occasionally using the handwarmers this is what my fingers looked like after a 25 minute drive home in a warm car:
i-gB88bB6-M.jpg

It's become a real PITA keeping my fingers warm enough to function in colder temps as I age.

One trick I used when riding on road motorcycles was to wear latex exam gloves under my primary riding gloves and that prove to provide the best insulation and still retain good dexterity. I always kept a pair stashed on my road bikes.

I'm going to try some FootJoy or Nike all weather golf gloves with latex liners for my shooting set up next. The golf gloves have thermal properties, come in a wide range of sizes including length and allow good feel.

When your fingers get so cold and painful that you literally cannot use them it's not a good situation.

I also have decent work gloves with latex liners stash in my cars for emergencies.

Hope this helps.

I ride and had same issues.

Reynauds is an autoimmune/vibration injury/whatever else Ive read about it.

One thing it is, is painful when those waxy white fingers begin to wake up again.

Doesnt have to be that cold to effect. 40 degree rides of an hour or so duration with just a little body chill has the brain shutting off the taps to the extremities.

The Army came up with what is supposed to be a good cure for Reynauds.

1. Wait for a moderately cold day, high 30s to low 40s.

2. Go outside in a some what inappropriate outer attire - light t shirt or something that will let your core get a little cold.

3. have a pail of warm water. Not hot maybe 100 or so degrees. Nice comfy warm.

4. sit outside with your hands in the warm comfy water and let your core start to send signals to the brain saying "Hey its getting a little cold out here, shouldnt we cut off the extremities to keep me warm?" Your hands will be sending brain signals "Oh man this is nice and warm". I think the idea is to have brain say "Hey core relax. Hands are nice and warm. Im going to keep the blood flowing because hand blood is going to circulate and provide core with warmth".

5. I guess the idea is to train your brain that a little cold in the core can be tolerated dont so quickly shut down the extremities.

Do some research before trying this. I listed the steps from memory. Look it up and make sure you do it right or you may do more harm than good.

One thing it is, is painful when those waxy white fingers begin to wake up again.

Doesnt have to be that cold to effect. 40 degree rides of an hour or so duration with just a little body chill has the brain shutting off the taps to the extremities.

2. Go outside in a some what inappropriate outer attire - light t shirt or something that will let your core get a little cold.

4. sit outside with your hands in the warm comfy water and let your core start to send signals to the brain saying "Hey its getting a little cold out here, shouldnt we cut off the extremities to keep me warm?" Your hands will be sending brain signals "Oh man this is nice and warm". I think the idea is to have brain say "Hey core relax. Hands are nice and warm. Im going to keep the blood flowing because hand blood is going to circulate and provide core with warmth".

5. I guess the idea is to train your brain that a little cold in the core can be tolerated dont so quickly shut down the extremities.

Do some research before trying this. I listed the steps from memory. Look it up and make sure you do it right or you may do more harm than good.

Very interesting! My daughter has Reynauds and her attacks are severe. I'm going to search for this study, thanks for posting this.

From Iditarod info and Northwest Territories info,
The body's thermometer is approx center chest between chest and neck.
If that stays warm your body is willing to give blood/warmth to the extremities.
The old wear a scarf thing actually has science behind it...
You will run out of heat sooner or later but the trick is to trick your body that the important organs are warm so it's willing to give unimportant parts heat.

Military did a bunch of tests in cold water for dexterity:
One had heated gloves, boots and cap, the other had a heated vest only.
The heated vest blew away the time/dexterity of the heated extremities.

Reactions: The DFC
Army surplus wool glomit, mitten with trigger finger, works great with an over mitttrn shell to wear wear when not actually on the gun. Ive used this combo down to -20. Zippo pocket handwarmwer in jacket pocket can reverse the effects of cold fingers and is a hunt saver late season and winter.

So you're trying to trick me into freezing my ass of and pee my pants too? :LOL:

I'd guess my issues is vibration related from 40+ years of riding and 20 years of golfing with a lot of practice which transmits a shock to the hands. I've also had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. That process makes sense, I'll check it out. (y)

It's a real annoyance as I walk my dogs every morning and evening rain/frost/snow doesn't make a difference. In the last 9 years we've averaged 355 days a year.

I'm not really looking forward to shooting our 100/200yd rimfire match tomorrow at 8:30 am, 10 years ago it wouldn't have been an issue. Though 42* with 9mph wind with a 1/4-1/2" of rain forecasted should be warmer than the heavy frost 32* degrees this morning. At 32* wearing the gloves pictured, if my hands are out of my pockets 5 minutes they start hurting. It's a quite annoying.

So you're trying to trick me into freezing my ass of and pee my pants too? :LOL:

I'd guess my issues is vibration related from 40+ years of riding and 20 years of golfing with a lot of practice which transmits a shock to the hands. I've also had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. That process makes sense, I'll check it out. (y)

It's a real annoyance as I walk my dogs every morning and evening rain/frost/snow doesn't make a difference. In the last 9 years we've averaged 355 days a year.

I'm not really looking forward to shooting our 100/200yd rimfire match tomorrow at 8:30 am, 10 years ago it wouldn't have been an issue. Though 42* with 9mph wind with a 1/4-1/2" of rain forecasted should be warmer than the heavy frost 32* degrees this morning. At 32* wearing the gloves pictured, if my hands are out of my pockets 5 minutes they start hurting. It's a quite annoying.

Just some stuff that may help.......

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a111032.pdf

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...759032636/Raynaud's+Disease+Murray+Hamlet.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/19/science/simple-method-found-to-warm-cold-hands.html

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/58962/

I havent ridden much (at all) since the kids but the hands were an issue and it didnt have to be that cold. Jack hammer operators are common Reynauds sufferers.

Hope the reading helps.

Reactions: atomic41
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collections/arcteryx-leaf/glove_mitt

I really like the Arcteryx gloves I bought. I think I have the Contact-WX model, not too think but enough insulation to take the chill off. When I was shooting matches in Montana in single digit January days I would shoot in those and then put bigger mittens on over to try to keep my hands as warm as I could. Some stages my fingers got so cold so fast that I had trouble feeling the trigger.

Very interesting! My daughter has Reynauds and her attacks are severe. I'm going to search for this study, thanks for posting this.

See the links I posted above.

Medical diagnoses and healing.......its what we do at Snipershide.

Now about that boil on your ass..........

Reactions: Sieg
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collections/arcteryx-leaf/glove_mitt

I really like the Arcteryx gloves I bought. I think I have the Contact-WX model, not too think but enough insulation to take the chill off. When I was shooting matches in Montana in single digit January days I would shoot in those and then put bigger mittens on over to try to keep my hands as warm as I could. Some stages my fingers got so cold so fast that I had trouble feeling the trigger.

Those are some amazing prices for LEAF gear.

I see the USD after the price which leads me to believe its an overseas country - is the shit real?

You might also try disposable heat pack On the wrist just under your longjohns. Blood flow is close to the surface there and will warm the blood as it moves into the hand

Thank you! My daughter is going to be very excited to try this.

Reactions: pmclaine

I see the USD after the price which leads me to believe its an overseas country - is the shit real?

US Elite gear is good to go.

edit-there aren't many sizes available-xxxxxxxxxsmall and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxlarge and nothing in between.

US Elite gear is good to go.

edit-there aren't many sizes available-xxxxxxxxxsmall and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxlarge and nothing in between.

Always a catch.

Looks like its good to be on there mailing list as when shit goes "discontinued" it appears heavily discounted.

Yes it is real, I bought my stuff from them. They are legit, and yes that is some great prices on high quality gloves right now.

Reactions: pmclaine
I like the looks of these but I think I actually would prefer without the finger hole.

Not a glomit, but a glove of nearly identical weight. I like these for bow hunting- light enough to be concealment only, but just enough weight to help with cool weather too. And, thin enough to wear as a base layer within mittens, or stuff hands in pockets without taking the gloves off.

https://kryptek.com/krypton-gloves-highlander-2

Reactions: The DFC
Thank you very much, it's genuinely appreciated. (y)

Needless to say I was the first one at the range this morning for our 100/200 rimfire benchrest match..... to start a fire in the woodstove. :)

I wear these under heavier gloves.
http://www.damascusgear.com/products/Dyna-Thin™-Unlined-leather-w-short-cuff-p4802599
You never have to expose your bare hand to the cold as you can perform any manipulation with these that you can bare handed. They provide a bit of protection from cold metal. In extreme cold, though, you don't want to be outside of a mitten for very long. Mitts that isolate the trigger finger are key. I don't go anywhere when it's really cold without chemical heat packets. Once the hands get cold it's difficult to warm them without dumping a lot of heat from your core to get them into your pants or pits.