• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Collimating dual pvs14

Now that's an interesting point. I'll have to file this away for when I get my second 14 later this year.

Like Augee pointed out, it's possible to have 11769 tubes that are just way off in terms of the image shift, so switching the -14's might help. If that doesn't work the other thing to try is loosening the eyepiece and rotating them one by one and/or together to do your own DIY collimation. I'll hash mark it before I start with one color, adjust it, and if it's better than mark it again with a different color removing the original mark. I've done this with good results. You'd be surprised it may not take much of a turn.

ETA: To clarify, I do this while it's mounted on my head looking through them. You'll obviously need to adjust the eyepiece focus while holding it so it doesn't rotate while you do. Tighten the lock ring when done.

Like Augee pointed out, it's possible to have 11769 tubes that are just way off in terms of the image shift, so switching the -14's might help. If that doesn't work the other thing to try is loosening the eyepiece and rotating them one by one and/or together to do your own DIY collimation. I'll hash mark it before I start with one color, adjust it, and if it's better than mark it again with a different color removing the original mark. I've done this with good results. You'd be surprised it may not take much of a turn.
As in the ocular eyepiece? That would break the purge right? Honestly my concern with purge might be unfounded as I don't know how long a purge even lasts.

Total newb when it comes to assembly / nomenclature. Appreciate the feedback.

As in the ocular eyepiece? That would break the purge right? Honestly my concern with purge might be unfounded as I don't know how long a purge even lasts.

Total newb when it comes to assembly / nomenclature. Appreciate the feedback.

Yup, the ocular. To be honest I don't know if it'll affect the purge since even with the lock ring tightened down it's not like there's an o-ring or anything (on the threaded portion that is). You're not completely removing the eyepiece, just loosening the lock ring and turning the eyepiece.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhereNow&How
Yup, the ocular. To be honest I don't know if it'll affect the purge since even with the lock ring tightened down it's not like there's an o-ring or anything. You're not completely removing the eyepiece, just loosening the lock ring and turning the eyepiece.
I'll have to look up a video. Thanks for the tip man.

I left this part out.....I use a star to focus on for the DIY collimation. You'll know if they're way off from each other if you stare at a star and see it separate into 2 when it's close or spot-on you'll only see one star. If that makes sense? I've done it using light poles even when I was in the city I think the straight line helped.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I left this part out.....I use a star to focus on for the DIY collimation. You'll know if they're way off from each other if you stare at a star and see it separate into 2 when it's close or spot-on you'll only see one star. If that makes sense? I've done it using light poles even when I was in the city I think the straight line helped.
Totally makes sense. That's what I was going to use since it's practical infinity (therefore practically parallel). Very useful tip - surprised I didn't find all this online, thanks for confirming that i'm not totally retarded.

I 100% notice that my dual 14's are not collimated. It could be something else (mechanical alignment, shitty brain, idk many variables probably exist), but there's something off about these. I probably notice only because I've professionally used dual tube nvg's for years. I can also 100% handle the collimation error. It's a minor issue - but I can also handle a scope that's been mounted canted... I still try to fix it. That being said, I can fix a canted scope for free. Not so much my 14's it seems. My 2 cents on collimation.

Interesting about MX 10160. Those don't have adjustable gain, right? I'm guessing that's what is also in PVS15's then which makes sense as I understand that 31's have some proprietary tubes that allowed adjustable gain. I didn't realize the pvs15 had aviation tubes in them. Neat.

You probably have similar tolerance for optical misalignment as I do from the sound of it.

Like I said, brains are awesome, and they can adjust to a wide range of circumstances fairly automatically. Having used properly built binocular systems, it's also not surprising that it's noticeable, even if it doesn't significantly impede your ability to use them but it is something that separates properly built goggles from bridged 14s.

Yes, MX-10160s are ABC (automatic brightness control) only, no manual gain extension ("pigtail"). Most bino systems use MX-10160 "aviaition-style" tubes. The PVS-31s with their manual gain control use modified MX-11769 style tubes, L3Harris is understandably a little vague as to what the exact differences are, but I understand that they're related both to the manual gain extension, EMI shielding, and probably image shift compared to MX-11769s intended for monocular applications.

As for purging and DIY collimation, so again, "per the regs," if you disassemble the device at all, it should be re-purged. That's the "right" way to do it.

How much atmospheric ingress actually occurs simply by rotating eyepieces without removing them if any? Honestly don't know.

At the same time, there are guys that built their own units, some use canned air, some never bother to do anything, and especially in dry climates, report having no issues.

Again, this is kind of the same discussion, there's a right way and wrong way, and there's reasons that the right way is the right way--the choice is whether or not that applies to you and/or if it's important enough for you to worry about and/or do something about. If you're planning to stay relatively local with your NVDs, "cracking the seal" may not be that big of a deal. If you're doing a lot of traveling to different climates, elevations, temperatures, humidity levels, it might be more important.

This thread is probably worth a read if you want to consider it:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/DIY-Collimation-Technique/18-510765/

The other thread I mentioned is linked within this one.

~Augee

While I have all the NVG experts here:

How do I calibrate my diopter adjustment? I have a whopping +-0.00 prescription and have it set on -1.00. Another non-issue but if freely fixable, I'd like to make it right.

Oop augee, you beat me to the punch with your post and it raises a few more questions from me. Just for my own curiousity.

With purge, I'm guessing the pressure internal to the unit is still equivalent to local atmospheric pressure? What happens when someone assembles a unit at say -1k ASL and then goes to somewhere 10k ASL? Are there any pressure issues ever from NVG's being sealed units? Is there a relief valve? Any issues going down from say 10k to -1k? I've never seen any but maybe I didn't know something was happening.

While I have all the NVG experts here:

How do I calibrate my diopter adjustment? I have a whopping +-0.00 prescription and have it set on -1.00. Another non-issue but if freely fixable, I'd like to make it right.

The only way to properly do it is with a piece of equipment at the dealer/assembler level who has one. Honestly, a lot of -14's are not set correctly and most people just deal with the diopter numbers being wherever they end up at.

@jeffl838
One thing I forgot to ask - is your objective lens set to infinity focus with the set screw? Meaning when you adjust the focus it stops, or does it keep going until it's out of focus? If the infinity stop is set wrong then adjusting the diopter can correct it some but ultimately it's your objective lens that's fucking you off

I didn't know you could set infinity focus with a set screw. Just to make sure I'm understanding: it's like a zero stop but for infinity? I can go past infinity but not by much.

There's a tiny hole with a set screw (they can be missing or not tightened) that is meant to hold the infinity focus setting. You can force it past it negating it's function but that's what it's for. If you can focus beyond infinity then yours probably isn't set. It was worth mentioning is all.

I think mine are set. Just a few degrees past infinity is the back stop. I guess they thought of everything when designing these, kinda neat!

where can I get a spanner wrench for the pvs 14 ocular lens assembly? Definitely don’t want to use the wrong tool for this but I can’t find anything online. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Tried out the DIY collimation with a NF in the rear, aimpoint in the front, and PVS14 in the middle. One of them is dead on. The other is 11 mils low. Not bad I don't think.

EDIT: Was able to get it loose. No kidding when you say the PVS 14 is not designed to be collimated. The objective focus seems to shift collimation as well LOL. One is dead on and the other is two mils right and two mils low. Until I need to shift focus LOL. Good thing I've got pinhole caps and steiner refocus lens I guess.

Last edited:
Cool, now you can rest assured, lol.

I'm not sure who still sells the spanner wrenches. Night Vision Inc and Ultimate Night Vision used to be I just checked their sites and didn't see it. The eyepiece lock ring you can usually get pretty tight by hand.