• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Colonoscopy Journal

ssgp2

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2004
montreal,Canada
ABOUT THE WRITER: Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

Colonoscopy Journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy.

A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis.

Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner.

I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America's enemies..

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous.

Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor.

Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons). Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.'

This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but, have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch?This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep.

The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous.. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked..

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep..
At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point..

Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand.

There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.

'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me...

'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood.

Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

On the subject of Colonoscopies...
Colonoscopies are no joke, but these comments during the exam were quite humorous..... A physician claimed that the following are actual comments made by his patients (predominately male) while he was performing their colonoscopies:

1. Take it easy Doc.. You’re boldly going where no man has gone before.

2. 'Find Amelia Earhart yet?'

3. 'Can you hear me NOW?'

4. 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?'

5. 'You know, in Arkansas , we're now legally married.'

6. 'Any sign of the trapped miners, Chief?'

7. 'You put your left hand in, you take your left hand out...'

8. 'Hey! Now I know how a Muppet feels!'

9. 'If your hand doesn't fit, you must quit!'

10. 'Hey Doc, let me know if you find my dignity.'

11. 'You used to be an executive at Enron, didn't you?'

And the best one of all:
12. 'Could you write a note for my spouse saying that my head is not up there?'

Perfect description. I always have mine at 6 AM and then have breakfast. Our hospital has a great dining room and I have my usual biscuits and gravy, couple fried eggs and sausage patties.

My wife has told me I'm at the point where I probably need one. My response is generally something along the lines of "I would rather die from whatever I've got than find out that way". But looking at my baby girl I should probably reconsider my attitude. Any guidelines as to when and why one should get this horrific procedure done in their life?

My wife has told me I'm at the point where I probably need one. My response is generally something along the lines of "I would rather die from whatever I've got than find out that way". But looking at my baby girl I should probably reconsider my attitude. Any guidelines as to when and why one should get this horrific procedure done in their life?

They say age 50, bend over and get the prostate rubbed also. If you schedule a colonoscopy, may as well get an endoscopy too, just make sure they go down your throat first with it, otherwise you may wake with a shitty taste in your mouth.

I'm surprised that Dave left out the best part.
In order to slip the colon-o-scope up an in, they have to inflate you to 30 psi.
That way the end of the scope doesn't hang up on any turns while they video your innards.
When complete, and you're in the recovery area waiting for the anaesthesia to wear off,
the hospital staff gets to listen to your guts deflate back down to 1 atmosphere.
I remember being wheeled groggily down a hallway on the way to the recovery room
and passing a group of cute nurses, just as I was pushed past 'em
I ripped a category 5 blast that lifted the sheets off the gurney. I was so proud.
It reverberated up and down the hallway and rattled the lucite panels in the overhead lighting.

Sadly, due to the pre-procedure internal pressure cleaning, there was no smell to match the sound.
gap.gif

Last edited:
Had my second one last month. Bite the bullet and get it done. I can tell you after working at a hospital for the past 23 years, the little bit of time this takes is well worth it to help avoid colon cancer. Miralax + Gator Aid = not so bad..........

I've had a few. The worst part is being hungry all day, the day before. Start drinking the stuff early to avoid going all night or having to stop on the side of the road on the way to your appointment. I worked late one time, got started late, and was still going the next morning. Was not fun. The Gatoraid stuff is not bad, taste wise, and seems to be at least a little forgiving. No doubt that it works, but you have time to make it to the bathroom.

If you are getting to the age where you should have one, Man Up and go for it. Its not that bad! Lightman

I have had several,last time found pre cancerious polips.They took them out.if left in there they can turn into colon cancer.
I got to go back in the spring.it will save your ass.go do it.

Not all fun and games but better than roaming around with a shit bag attached to your belt. I have had two one at 50 and one at 60. Don't have another one to look forward to for another 4 years.

If you are in the age range, please get it done.
Guy at work had his first one. They found a tumor the size of an egg.
Scheduled for surgery and removed tumor plus 12" of colon. Pathology report came back malignant.
But, there is no planned radiation or chemo as further tests show they got it all and early. In and out in 4 days, on way to full recovery.
He has a 5 year old daughter and GLAD he had it done.

For the most part, the drugs they give you are worth the expirience. I was living in London in my early 20's when my guts tried forcing thier way out, atleast thats what it felt like was happening. Had a colonoscopy done to verify what was going on. The detail of the colon blow that occurs before the procedure is spot on. You will crap so hard that you'll halucinate. Anyway, for the most part, you're asleep during the probing; however, appantley my body did not like being violated and I woke up with them poking around somewhere beneath the left side of my rib cage. Not a cool feeling! I remember screaming and then a nice nurse jammed a needle into my hip and lights out again. I had a friend accompany me so I didnt get lost on the way home. He was nice enough to record my babblings while I was coming out of LaLa land. I was explaining something about a badger running up my butt. My subconsious was really on a roll. When you do have one done, make sure someone you trust goes with you. I remember leaving the hospital and getting on the Underground and thats it for about 16 hours. I woke up the next morning with no idea of how I got home. For all I know I rode the Lion statues in Trafalagar Square naked and was molested by the entire national rugby team. Good times I suppose.

I did`nt care much for the K00L aid, Did`nt car much for the crapping, but I even cared less for the dry craps, which is kind of like the dry heaves but from the other end.

Go at 50. It could save your life, like it did for me.

Test is not that bad. Do a 14 dose bottle of Miralax in a gallon of gatorade instead of the prescription stuff.

robbin williams - when you hit 40's - YouTube

Robin Williams on Colonoscopies.

Funny stuff.

As a guy that has been through 2 of them, they aren't that bad. I think the prep work getting yourself cleaned out is worse than the actual procedure.

It will also be the only time you will be under doctors orders to fart.

Grandfather died of colon cancer.

This is just not something I've ever discussed with a friend, and put my wife off whenever she brings it up. I'm not quite 50 (close) but I've had various skin cancers. Due to melanoma this year I was referred to an oncologist (still have to go back for third surgery which I'll do before I see the oncologist). And like an idiot I walked all around the ground zero area taking pictures on 9/11 and breathed in all that crap. So I'm a little worried.

I'm just taking a moment to appreciate the anonymity of the internet. Thanks to that I'm probably getting my only exposure to other men saying yes, as creepy as it seems, this is something you should do.

A sincere thank you to everyone who shared their experiences. Seriously. It gives me the strength to get it done.

Colonoscopy

I have had two of them. The first about age 50. i also had the nervousness due to some "well meaning" buddies giving me the lowdown. They were just busting my balls....as usual.

The night before with the prep was the worst. When the Doc said I would have to go the bathroom within 20 minutes, he must have had a frickin stopwatch and recorded it prior. it was exactly 20 minutes and I barely made it. I did follow his advice and had reading material with me. Everytime I thought I was finished and got up to start to move, the eruptions started again. I had no idea that I was that full of shit!

There was even a fire call in my neighborhood and I had a TDA idling in front of my house....and I am a retired firefighter. I tried three times to go talk to the guys and only got 30 seconds of conversation before I had to head back to the head.

Next morning was OK. I had an early appointment and my wife drove. I got into the changing room and into the tiny little gown. Hardly had any wait at all and I was being prepped with an IV and into the surgical theater. There was a TV monitor conveniently placed where I could see it and I remember asking the doctor if I would be able to watch the procedure. He said "sure". That is the last thing I remember....

I woke up in recovery to the sound of my wife's voice telling me to roll over. I was never so comfortable in my entire life as I lay there. She says again, roll over. I said Why?? she said roll over, so I did. Then she said roll over again. I said I just did!! She said the other way. Why??? This went on and on. My wife spent 24 years as a respiratory tech and was trying to get my blood oxygen level up high enough so that I could be discharged. The rolling back and forth was to evacuate the gas in my bowels. I remember the nurse opening the curtain and asking how i was doing......just as I lifted a cheek and ripped a LOUD one. Without missing a beat, she said, I'll be back and left.

I rolled and farted and rolled and farted, each time to my wife's instructions. i just wanted to lay there all comfortable like. She wanted out of there. Apparently there were another 5 or 6 cubicles, only separated by a curtain, with other guys farting their fool heads off. I didn't hear any of it.

Finally my wife got them to give me permission to get dressed....with some assistance. She had to have helped me because I do not remember doing it on my own. I do remember standing there with both a nurse and my doctor giving me instructions. I have no idea what they were saying, but my wife got it all, including all the paperwork.

I remember her leading me out a door to a parking lot and told me to get in the car. No idea which one, so I stood there looking around. She finally came over and opened the door I was standing next to and guided me inside and strapped the seatbelt on. I only remember bits and pieces of this with her giving me the entire description the next day. I must have fallen asleep in the car. She said she drove me home through a huge thunderstorm. I don't remember shit about that.

Got home, she woke me up, guided me into the house and to the bedroom where I stretched out on the bed. She woke me up at 10:30 pm just to make sure I was still alive. Apparently, I had not even moved. I am not sure what they gave me but it had to be some pretty good shit!

I got up the next morning and went back to work. My pants fit a whole lot better than they did the day before.

All in all the experience was not all that bad and I didn't have any misgivings about having done the second time.

IF you need a colonoscopy, just do it. It might just save your life.

Get it done. Period. You will be asleep, so no embarrassment. They use Propofol (yeah that stuff) now, so you wake up crisply, with no hangover.
I put it off until I was 58. When I went in, a civilian doc was doing a study using the VA as a cohort. The study involved going past the Iliocecal valve. Right, into the small intestine. 20 years ago, Docs thought they were doing good to go to the hepatic flexure (the turn under the liver) and sort of look down the remainder of the colon. They realized that some cancers were getting missed.
This guy saved my life. Done locally, the doc would have stopped near the appendix, but this guy (120 mile drive) went on through the valve, and into the lower end of the small intestine. He found a Carcinoid tumor the size of my thumb. It would have been missed by the standard length scope.
Fricken do it.

Last edited:
My dad was one of the guys who wouldn't go.

He died at 71 years old from liver cancer that metastasized from colon cancer. See, colon cancer almost never kills anyone, it just grows quietly, then spreads cancer to other places in your body.

Dad's doctor found out I was 48, and insisted that I get checked ASAP. Took me 6 months of arguing with my HMO to get a scope done at age 48. I had two polyps, both cancerous, and one had spread into the wall. At that point, my HMO kicked into high gear, and I had a resection about 4 weeks later. Because they caught it soon enough, no chemo and no radiation.

One year followup was in June of this year, with no signs of recurrence.

So yes, it is important to get checked. If I had waited until 50 or later, no telling how bad it could have been.

Way to many young folks in their 40's dying from colon cancer these days. I highly suggest having one much earlier than the recommended "50" year old mark. I am certain it has saved me.

Way to many young folks in their 40's dying from colon cancer these days. I highly suggest having one much earlier than the recommended "50" year old mark. I am certain it has saved me.
I had mine done when I turned 50. I'm 56 now and I believe I'm due for another one.

The best part of a colonoscopy is the drug they give you. Oh man, I gotta' say I love that stuff. No, I'm not a drug addict, never did drugs of any kind, don't even drink. They give you the same stuff for endoscopys or cystoscopys. Have a buddy who's an anesthesiologist and he explained that you don't lapse into unconsciousness, but the drug simply blocks higher brain functions. MarkinAZ is correct, can't remember a danged thing about most of the procedure or the recovery room just Bits and pieces of the doctor's diagnosis. And yeah, I was never so comfortable in my life either. When they say you gotta' bring somebody along to drive you home, they're not kidding. Yeah, you're substantially "there" but certainly not all "there." I'm told I asked questions and made observations but don't remember a bit of it. The human brain is amazing.

Last edited:
I've had a bunch of endoscopies and one colonoscopy. They're not a big deal but not a lot of fun. I swear I was spraying acid from my butt after doing the colon prep. Uggh...

For what its worth.... you can ask the doc to let all the air out after they're done. After the first endoscopy I found that for some weird reason I couldn't belch on command and being pumped full of air was really uncomfortable. For the follow on endoscopies I asked the doc to let the air out and they did. That was awesome. No more feeling like a balloon waiting for a pin. So since then I've asked for that every time I've had an endoscopy or colonoscopy and its been a lot more comfortable. Your mileage may vary depending on the doc. I get the feeling not a ton of people ask for this but its no big deal for them to do.

I know they say to have one "by 50". But I only had my first colonoscopy a few years ago. After hearing the guys at work tell all their horror stories about waking up feeling like someone hit them square in the butt hole with a full swing of a sledge hammer, I was scared to say the least.

On the laxative part, the guy was pretty much right on.

I was laying on my left side too. There was a pretty young nurse standing at my shoulders. She said here comes the doctor. He's washing up. I looked up trying to be funny and side, I'll see you on the other side. She said, No you won't. Everything went black.

But I woke up after it was over and didn't feel any different. Evidently they even washed all the lube off. My bottom was clean and dry. But man did I have gas.

If people are squeemish about a colonoscopy, I wonder how they would react to having to deal with their bowel re-routed so they can crap into a bag attached to their side. The colonoscopy can catch things most early enough to prevent having to use an ostomy bag..I think the trade off of doing a colonoscopy rather than needing an ostomy bag is a no-brainer

Had my first one done at 60 yoa and it was no big deal at all. The prep is far worse than the actual procedure.

The AMAZING farts afterward are hilarious too.

The little camera is no big deal, but the 100 watt light bulb is a mother!

"Moooooon river...... whew.... Ever serve time doc."

The doc said I quoted Fletch when I had mine. I don't remember it at all.

Had one done after turning 50. In spite of the instant intimate relationship with the doctor I have yet to receive a card or flowers from that S.O.B.

Prep the head with reading materials, bottled water, some magazines, a 1200 page novel, and a DVD player. You won't be done until after you fall asleep on the pot. If you are awake enough to get off the pot, you won't make 6 steps before your sphincter is in a death grip again.

I had one last year (age 41 ) I was partially sedated for mine, and watched the whole procedure. Wish I knew about the vodka trick! Each inflation was uncomfortable to borderline painful. I was sooooo hungry afterward.

I have a problem with too much sugar or carbs, and was so hungry I ate a whole milkshake. Called familial periodic paralysis, a hereditary type of muscular dystrophy. Threw my potassium electrolyte balance off, I ended up paralyzed for a day and a half in ICU. They brought a big young man (approx. 22 years old) who was trying to choke and beat a girl to death, he was so drunk he thought she was some guy. Her father saved her by smashing his head with a hammer a couple of times, ripped his scalp open.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Was an interesting night, a deputy sheriff was there to get statements from the drunk asshole (and arrest him of course), and he was prior to that working on a counterfeit money case and had evidence that he showed me right before I started choking on my own vomit and bringing the crash team in to save me.

I didn't know that they have a type of food in the hospital just for critical patients that looks like the items, but is actually steam cooked in molds. My meal was some sort of steak, mashed potatoes, and some veggies like carrots and string beans. But, when you touch them, the dissolve into a mush.

When I was MUCH younger I told the doc that I didn't want sedation. I NEVER again said I don't want sedation. The cramps when they inflate you (if you aren't sedated) are truly agonizing. I was climbing the table and bumping my head into the wall in a futile effort to get away. Memorable farts all the way home.

I'm 67 years old and finally got around to having that awful ass borescope checkup better known as a colonoscopy. The runup to the colonscopy IMO is the worst part of it. I had to start drinking this God awful tasting crap ( Moviprep ) that you mix with water. One liter of that stuff starting at 6 PM the night before colonscopy followed with another liter starting at 2AM morning of colonscopy, needless to say I got zero sleep, spent most of the night on toilet. Don't remember anything about colonscopy procedure other than waking up in recovery room. Doc was surprised that my colon at my age had zero polyps....maybe it was all that Broccoli I have ate all these years...haha. I asked the Doc when I needed another colonscopy, his answer when I am 77 years, sounds like a win win to me.

Not getting one is dumb, like not changing the oil in your truck.
The prep sucks, but man up, its only a few hours of mild pain. I had my first at 19 as a freshman in college. Now I work in a big hospital and see people either getting diagnosed with colon CA in the ER because they avoided a simple test when it was time and i get to take care of a lot of colostomys. I promise you, getting ready for the "borescope" is much easier. I equate not getting one to guys who are too big of pansy-asses to change their own kids diapers.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/24340828" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" height="312" width="500"></iframe>

I sent this to my father a few days before he had his.

He didn't think it was very funny, only saying to me...

" Wait until it's YOUR turn, kiddo'...."

I whole heartly agree everyone should have this procedure done not long after the age of 50 and not wait so long as i did, it could save your life. Had a good friend die from colon cancer, and i have to say it is not a good way to go. Like i said, the worst part was drinking Moviprep, but with the second liter i chased Moviprep with a small slug of water....no after taste what so ever. So, anyone sitting on the fence about having a colonscopy, just do it...if not for yourself, do it for your family...get her done!

I had my first colonoscopy just over two yrs ago. Dr found a large mass that turned out to be cancerous. The surgeon removed over 18" of my colon. Subsequent tests showed the cancer had not spread any further and I did not require chemo or radiation therapy.

I was 46 at the time, in good health and showed no symptoms. I've made a full recovery and I feel blessed my dr was proactive and found the cancer when he did.

If you're anywhere near 50 or having any problems with the poop shoot, please get it checked out.

My grandfather never got it done. Never made time, too busy working, even after retirement he kept working. His first colonoscopy was when his guts stopped working due to a tumor completely blocking off his guts.

That was four years and a dozen surgeries ago.

The crummy thing about cancer is that it like playing whack-a-mole. Every time they cut some out, it just pops up somewhere else. More treatment, more cutting, more time in the hospital and away from your family.

Its a shitty way to go, because each time he has been in for treatment he has aged more, slowed down a bit more. For a man that I always believed would die on the job with his boots on, its hard for me to see him barely able to get out of the easy chair.