• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Check Yourself

Ronws

first class brisket smoker
Minuteman
  • Oct 18, 2021
    Texas
    I don't normally post public service announcements. But this is an easy fix.

In the what are you listening to thread, I posted a song from Firehouse. The singer, 64 year old CJ Snare, passed away recently. The lady of his love of a lifetime revealed that he had been struggling with a Stage 4 colon cancer. No doubt, he was always working and wouldn't take the time to get himself checked. Seriously, Firehouse is always working and will play anywhere at anytime.

Colon cancer is the most easily detectable and preventable of the cancers. Because of my age, (I just turned 60) my doctor had me do a colonoscopy for a colon cancer study he was doing and my age made me a profile fit. And it was covered by my insurance. First, I did the cologuard, shipping shit through the mail. Then the procedure. They found 4 polyps, all benign and removed them.

When I had woken up in my day room, the doctor brought me water and coffee and asked me if I had any questions.

I asked, "Did you find Jimmy Hoffa?"

Without batting an eye or even a snicker, he said, "No, we did not."

Guys, get yourself checked. It does not have to end like this.

And get with your doctor about having your PSA tested. Prostate cancer no longer relies on the finger test. Why check? My wife's favorite singer, Dan Fogelberg, passed away in his 50s from prostate cancer. Again, always working, not getting himself checked.

I will second the recommendation. Get one starting at age 50 or sooner if you have a family history of colon cancer.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
    If you drink alcohol regularly you have a higher risk as well. Research continues but it’s looking like a major factor along the lines of the old smoking causes lung cancer thing - not always, but…

Had a couple friends check out early now (50s) from colon cancer - both drank daily and, at times, a little too much.

Not judging - I make the stuff for a living.

I woke up from my colonoscopy a few months ago in the recovery room. There was my wife and a male nurse.

I sat up and asked what the doctor found, and the nurse told me "basically nothing", and added that the doctor didn't make any findings or remarks. I asked him where she was, and he informed me that she had gone on to the next patient.

"She went from one asshole to the next huh?" Was my response, which (I) immediately found funny...however both the nurse and my wife didn't seem phased by my amazing sense of humor. :ROFLMAO:

0 out of 5 stars... Blasting water out of my ass for 6 hours was the least fun thing I can remember doing over the past decade.

Lost a good friend a couple weeks ago to a massive heart attack at the age of 50. Surprisingly, that is the third friend that I've had die at/under the age of 50 since we all retired.

I would be cautious with getting a colonoscopy, especially if you are not in a high risk category. As always, doctors like to encourage these medical tests without adequately discussing potential risks. With a colonoscopy, internal bleeding and perforated intestine are more common than you would think. People have died as a result. In our profit motivated medical care system, a large percentage of these tests are unnecessary and not worth the risk. In the case of colonoscopy, the stats I've seen indicate 25%-30% of these tests are unnecessary.

Speaking for myself, I would consider one of the non-invasive options since I am not in a high risk category. But for me, a colonoscopy is not worth the risks.

A dear friend to many of us, @Foul Mike had colon Cancer.

he left us for a much better place on March 2, 2024.

i have had 2 of the scopes.
    Preps are better now than 25 yrs ago.
    My last one in Jan of this year was easy peasy prep (except the 20 min ride to the hospital the morning of, was worried I might not be able to hold it).
    Perhaps my doc has a better prep regimen than others?

Whats the percentage of those getting a routine screening who perf and what percentage of those perfs die?
    WAY less than the number who die from Colon Cancer annually, by a huge margin.

Reactions: Redlion
    I had colon cancer twice, early detection help beat it, just don't trust the cologuard test as 100%, a false negative and two false positives, good old fashioned bore scope is the truest test.

A dear friend to many of us, @Foul Mike had colon Cancer.

he left us for a much better place on March 2, 2024.

i have had 2 of the scopes.
    Preps are better now than 25 yrs ago.
    My last one in Jan of this year was easy peasy prep (except the 20 min ride to the hospital the morning of, was worried I might not be able to hold it).
    Perhaps my doc has a better prep regimen than others?

Whats the percentage of those getting a routine screening who perf and what percentage of those perfs die?
    WAY less than the number who die from Colon Cancer annually, by a huge margin.
    This and how are you supposed to know if you are among that "25-30% of these tests are unnecessary?"

Had my first this last year (I’m 37) bad family history of colon cancer. Funny thing was when they wheeled me back there he said ah yes…. This is the guy we r doing the sex change operation on… then the lights went out… 😂

My wife's stepfather died of cancer, started in the colon. If he'd had a colonoscopy at 50 as recommended the odds are he'd still be with us. between that and my family's history of colon issues and cancer my wife was all over me to get one. Got my first one at 50, excellent results/news, Dr. said see you in 10 years. My wife was shocked he said that with the family history. Got my 2nd one 10 years later , more good news. The prep is and aggravation but in the bigger picture it's nothing.

This and how are you supposed to know if you are among that "25-30% of these tests are unnecessary?"

Thats one quoted number.
    Based on the rest of his reply, I can tell you there is a definitive “anti” bias and those arent numbers I would put stock in. More like some made up numbers like NYT uses to get people to buy into what they are saying

Pretty sure They say screen at 50 unless high risk.
    I am.
    First at 19. Last one was earlier this year at 43. Still good.
    If you eat a basic American diet you are at risk. Our food is crap.
    Ask your doc if you are at risk.
    See about the clear liquids for a day and the pill camera. No scope. Maybe thats an option. Ya just crap it out.
    Thats what my MIL does. She gets super sick with the prep and ends up in the ER with a migraine.

This thread is a pain in the ass. I did the clear liquid diet and nasty flush stuff. I'm the last patient of the day. The machine has not been working right. Everyone is pissed. I'm lying there with my ass out. The dude with the knockout juice is just getting started when the dr. JAMMS the camera up my ass. I start cussing then wake up in the recovery room. I will die of ass cancer before I get another one. I go to church with the nurse in the recovery room. She was shocked by my language.

I woke up from my colonoscopy a few months ago in the recovery room. There was my wife and a male nurse.

I sat up and asked what the doctor found, and the nurse told me "basically nothing", and added that the doctor didn't make any findings or remarks. I asked him where she was, and he informed me that she had gone on to the next patient.

"She went from one asshole to the next huh?" Was my response, which (I) immediately found funny...however both the nurse and my wife didn't seem phased by my amazing sense of humor. :ROFLMAO:

0 out of 5 stars... Blasting water out of my ass for 6 hours was the least fun thing I can remember doing over the past decade.

Lost a good friend a couple weeks ago to a massive heart attack at the age of 50. Surprisingly, that is the third friend that I've had die at/under the age of 50 since we all retired.
    I had other one-liners that I did not use. I was going to ask them to let me know when it is in. I have worked in construction for so long, I can't feel it anymore.

Anyway, so probably the reason they are somber and focused is because it is their job to look at angry, red assholes.

The other thing to mention is that if you do have some polyps they remove them during the scope. I waited till 50 and had a couple of polyps they removed. Doc said it was normal and he'd see me in five years. I guess I didn't think about it, but I thought it was just a scope and a look. I didn't realize they'd be ready to take care of anything they find... Obviously not full blown colon cancer, but they'll remove anything suspect or precancerous, so there is some piece of mind there too.

Reactions: Ronws
    Colonoscopies are great. The oxygen is great and then they give you these nice drugs that really calm you down then they put these nice warm blankies on you.

I remember the last time somebody made a post about colonoscopies. The thread quickly went from colonoscopies to how great the drugs are that they give you.

I should have added that yes, it is SOP to remove any polyps during the exam. Most times, they are benign. And you will grow some more, so another one could be in your future.

I had sedation. I lay there few a minutes and the guy asked me if I was drowsy. Yes, a little drowsy. Next memory, I was waking up in the day room with a dozen roses and a lovely card.

JK

You have to have someone accompany you there and out. So, my old high school friend, David, was there. I told him that going in, we would have to hold hands and sing "You're the One that I Want" from the movie "Grease." I am a high tenor, so I would take the part of Sandy performed by Olivia Newton-John.

But we didn't do that. Just walked and then I got to my room and changed into the sexy gown that they in hospitals.

I was sitting, waiting for my turn after the IV was inserted and asked the nurses what they thought about all day... "whoops, here comes another asshole..." Good thing I said that after the needle was in. One nurse dribbled and had to excuse herself.

This thread is a pain in the ass.
    1714261180270.gif

Had my first this last year (I’m 37) bad family history of colon cancer. Funny thing was when they wheeled me back there he said ah yes…. This is the guy we r doing the sex change operation on… then the lights went out… 😂
    Pics of sex change operation? Asking for @Dirty D

• Haha
    Reactions: Ronws
    I've had two 7 years apart ,the VA did both the 1st one at Audie Murphy hospital in SA , they were all business, no joking around, the 2nd was at the Kerrville clinic, those guys were a bunch of comedians ,had me in stitches before and after , as others have said the preparation is the worst part of the procedure, shitting your guts out for a day and a half is a pain.i told the guys at Kerrville that they couldn't drive a needle up my ass with a sledgehammer, I was wrong.

They got mine 2 weeks before I retired in 2020, at 51. Docs had been pestering me for couple years.
    They were pretty sure I have a duodenal ulcer as well and a Hitler hernia. So they were gonna to an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time. So...you know what my one liner was.
    "Dont get the scopes mixed up halfway through doc." They thought it was hilarious...I think. They asked me what kind of music I liked, I told them bluegrass. I was about to complain "Enter Sandman" is not bluegrass when the lights went out.
    They said I have a very fine butthole all the way to my appendix. They gave me a reprieve for a whole decade.
    They werent so lucky on the endoscope. They still suspect i have a duodenal ulcer, and confirmed i have a Hitler hernia.
    Back when they damn near killed me with metformin, they said I needed a cardiologist. (Yeah thanks to you assholes)
    After about 8 months of putting them off i got a heart doctor and got all the tests.
    I know yall heard this but just like Pop Gustavsson "I like this story".
    Long and short is, they dont know shit.
    Eat eggs and bacon and leave the sugar and taters and grain the hell alone.
    Got a heart like a racehorse.
    hallelujah-glory.gif

Reactions: gigamortis
    I had one. No big deal. My wife was nice to me for an entire day. They found a polyp and cut it out. I always wanted to get a bunch of friends who had polyps removed together and have a polyp fry. Have a few beers get a little crazy you know.

Here is my polyp.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 8.34.04 PM.png

You guys have all seen what is up my ass. Dirty fuckers!

@armorpl8chikn I have heard of a hiatal hernia but I have not heard of a Hitler hernia. Is it the kind of strain from saying "Ausgezeichnet!" too loud?

@DuneBoer I am glad I did not upload my pics. Mine are cleaner than yours and I would hate to seem like I am bragging.

• Haha
    Reactions: DuneBoer