• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colorado members, I need your help!

zjmccauley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2014
Colorado
I pose a question to you Colorado rifle shooters.

All the ranges nearby are limited to around 500 yards, however I want a range twice that!
What places in bumf*ck nowhere have you guys found that allows you to shoot out to atleast 1000 yards?

CRC - Colorado Rifle Club Home has a 1000 yard range. It's a great club but being near Buyers, Co. it is probably a little far. They have a great steel prairie dog match each month. The NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM. is great also. Again a bit far and again they have a great steel match each month. Guys drive a lot farther than you would have to every month just to shoot these matches.

Colorado Rifle Club in Rifle, CO is a really cool place. Precision Rifle Matches 1st Saturday of every month, along with some special events as well. Great place, great people, lots of fun!!

DK

Another CRC member, its a nice place with plenty of different shooting options. I have friends that live almost to the Spings area that shoot out there. There is plans to expand and add another 1000yd plus range. I'm always looking for someone to shoot with, if you would like PM me and we can go from there.

crci.org

Another options is Chaffee County range. Its close to Salida off Hwy 285, the entrance is the same as the county dump.

Last edited:
Colorado Rifle Club in Rifle, CO is a really cool place. Precision Rifle Matches 1st Saturday of every month, along with some special events as well. Great place, great people, lots of fun!!

DK

We go hunting south of Rifle and go there the Friday before opening day to check zero. The steel on the mountain is fun. That diamond hanging on the wire in the valley is the toughest shot.

Chaffee county range is a good one. There also is a range in Canon City that has 1000 yards, you need to be a member for that one but its reasonably priced. Are you on the Colorado AR 15 forum, there is all the info for matches and places to shoot on there.

We go hunting south of Rifle and go there the Friday before opening day to check zero. The steel on the mountain is fun. That diamond hanging on the wire in the valley is the toughest shot.

During the April Precision Match, the wind was blowing an (holy crap) average of 17mph and got a little bit of rain. Very very tough day to say the least. I actually contected with the "High West" plate at 690 yards, but my shot was overshadowed by the guy shooting next to me, that busted the diamond... Only 1 shooter hit it (lucky SOB), and he was the only one all day long, but it was incredible to see!!

DK

Chaffee county range is a good one. There also is a range in Canon City that has 1000 yards, you need to be a member for that one but its reasonably priced. Are you on the Colorado AR 15 forum, there is all the info for matches and places to shoot on there.

Chaffee is flat out awesome!! Very nice and clean... and FREE!! One plate is out there at 1020, and the wind is a big time challenge!! Lots of steel everywhere, lots of nice areas for rifle, pistol, shotguns too. Check them out!!

DK

Home Page

Pawnee Sportsmans club has a 1000 yard range now. you dont have to be a member, but membership is really cheap. I dont have first hand knowledge of being a member, just shot there for a class and a night shoot with modarmory. I just go outside and shoot a 1000.

During the April Precision Match, the wind was blowing an (holy crap) average of 17mph and got a little bit of rain. Very very tough day to say the least. I actually contected with the "High West" plate at 690 yards, but my shot was overshadowed by the guy shooting next to me, that busted the diamond... Only 1 shooter hit it (lucky SOB), and he was the only one all day long, but it was incredible to see!!

DK

Do y'all shoot from the benches by the little house where they take your money or the benches way in the back by where you drive in?

Build yourself a bench, get yourself a gong and a stand, and go find a place to shoot on public land. I cannot imagine having to shoot at a range.

Do y'all shoot from the benches by the little house where they take your money or the benches way in the back by where you drive in?

We shoot prone from 4 different timed stages, mostly dirt, but some concrete as well. The 3rd string is shot from the area just to the right of the gate when you come in. Yes, WAY IN THE BACK!! LOL... The only time we are at the bench, is if someone wants to check zero before we start. The houses are mostly used for 3-Gun, Run-N-Gun, pistols and AR carbine stuff.

DK

Wow, I grew up in Colorado and never realized there were so many different organized ranges. I was so used to just hiking down the mountain or driving to the BLM that was 15 min away that the thought of a range just boggled my mind. That was until I moved to Indiana though. Whole different mindset now. You learn to appreciate the little things.

I'm gonna see about checking Chaffee out the next time I'm out there visiting.

I'm going shooting at CRC tomorrow. If anyone would like to join, let me know. I am willing to bring up to 2 guests who are not members. I'll be zeroing my new DTA and gathering dope on my 22LR for the Sunday 22LR steel prairie dog match. Will also do a bit of carbine and pistol shooting, but mostly rifle.

Let me know if you want to join.

--J

The range at Fort Carson is at the south gate but its not 1000 yards, its 800. And they have rules against basically all magnum calibers, after the kid working there told me that I left.