• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado Pawnee Grassland Shooting Range

Not sure on the latest, but all planning documents only mentioned a 100yds range. Of course the same documents assured everyone that there'll be 10 shooting lanes at most. Now they're building 30. The location they're building in is ideal for waaaay longer than 100yds.

Maybe after they get the range built they won't allow shooting anywhere else in the grasslands.

How is this going? What has been done?
I have not been out there and it is close to me.
I think that if CDOW had a hand in it there might be something neat as up by Salida.
Let two government departments get involved and the thing will turn to shit.
Back that off and let ONE Government Dept. get involved and it will turn to shit.
Regards, FM

I went out to Pawnee today and they started construction. Only thing is that whole long range shooting area is now closed for anyone but construction folks. Not complaining, as I can understand they dont want bullets flying while they are moving dirt. Just want to save anyone a trip. You must use caution if you plan to shoot any long range calibers anywhere else in the grasslands. There are plenty of houses out an around the area. There are plenty of spots to shoot shotgun, rimfire and pistol just glass the area first. I did find one of my old hunting spots that sufficed for 500Y and its not to far from that area. Just read the posted signs as to not get a ticket or worse.

The area that is closed is Northeast of CR61 and 96, there is a sign at that intersection with closure map and also a closed sign at the gate.

As for shooting closures at the Grasslands, I emailed the District Ranger a few years ago and she replied that they plan to make a safety buffer area around the shooting range, but will not close the other areas to shooting and hunting.

As of today there was only earth moved about, nothing else. Maybe the reservists will do all of the construction on the weekends. In the attached pic you can see some of the dirt hills. I did not focus on the dirt but there are about 6 of those moved and a flat area graded out.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 25
Anyone gone out lately? Wondering if the area is still closed, need to do some sighting in for my last lope hunt of the season.

I had to go to Cheyenne today and about 1.6 miles N. of the Hwy. 14&71 junction west of Stoneham there was a Shooting Prohibited sign where they usually have fire danger signs etc.
I didn't see any of those signs anywhere else, such as near the big signs along the highway, just that one right there.
I stopped on the way back and went over and looked at it close and it is a Forest Service sign.
I need to make a call to them and see if it is just that area or if they have shut other areas off as well, and /or take a drive up there to see what is up.
I have no idea as to the progress on the other range but wonder if all of the reservists haven't been busy building roads after all of the flooding and the range went to the back burner.
I could sure as Hell understand that.
The NGs and Reserves did a super job getting roads back in that were washed out. Really proud of them all. I think it was Colo. and Utah NG mainly but don't know who all else.
Does anyone else know what is going on out there? Regards, FM

If they did just do a big overall ban on shooting out there it would sure fuck up a lot of hunting.
That would be like banning hunting in a National Forest.
It is best not to speculate and make some calls before jumping into a morass. FM

Yes, saw that also. 30 shooting lanes of 25, 50, and 100 yds (26 of which have nice concrete benches). All of that created in an area that's perfectly suited for a long-range setup. What's worse is that they declared quite a large no-shooting zone around this setup, taking away more good terrain (with natural backstops) from those that are looking for a place to "go long". Quite disappointed by this.

All the restricted area and roads are a serious bummer. Is there anywhere else in the grasslands that is suitable for long range shooting?

I'm really interested in figuring out the limits of that no-shooting zone and where the good "long" areas are. I need more options for long range shooting > 600 yards. I may have to check out that Colorado West Gun Club range, but I'm not looking forward to the drive.

I was at a pistol match near this area today so after the match I took a little drive to see the new range. It looks nice but it only goes out to 100 yds. As mentioned they've also closed off a lot of the area that we've used for long range shooting in the past. I talked to a park ranger who was at the range and she gave me some ideas of where I could shoot long range. Basically it's off of CR104, or off of CR 65 (south of 104), or off of CR674 (north of 104).

Attachments

• PawneePublicRange.jpg
    PawneePublicRange.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Have you guys been out near Deckers? I just took my little guy for some weekend edumacation and went down Platte River Rd. (Cr 97) and took a right on Deckers Rd (CR 211) and kept left at the split to continue on CR211 followed by a left onto Goose Creek Rd (FR 211) and finally a right onto FR560. I could shoot beyond 1760 from 100 yards outside of the camp areas. Great spot!!

SHTrRdy Thanks for the tip

All, found the new LR spot, albeit it was snowing and crappy today so I just shot 300Y. The gate is at 104 and 65. So the easiest way is to take 57 North to 104 and the gate is on the North right across from a windmill. Now the road is similar to the old site, but not groomed, so a truck or jeep might be a smart idea.

Here is an old Birding map of the area, it is Marked access 674 and the road goes in a NorthWest direction. Although there are a few hills on the south of the road, it would be smart to shoot Northeast as to not take a chance of a stray heading toward road 104. Hopefully most of the other shooters will stay corralled at the new shooting site or off road 61.

http://api.ning.com/files/TZqyoqUjG...Oi2we--BBlb1oVZP/pawneebirdingdrivingtour.pdf

Now this map is old and does not include the new restricted areas, it is the responsibility of the shooter to research and mark their map of closed areas. The Forrest service officers dont care if you didnt know, you will get fined if caught shooting in a restricted area. Not sure of the fines, but getting caught with tracers is $525-$5000, riding dirt bikes it $350, so I am sure it wont be cheap.

Anyway have fun!

Attachments

• DSC06998.jpg
    DSC06998.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07002.jpg
    DSC07002.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I was at a pistol match near this area today so after the match I took a little drive to see the new range. It looks nice but it only goes out to 100 yds. As mentioned they've also closed off a lot of the area that we've used for long range shooting in the past. I talked to a park ranger who was at the range and she gave me some ideas of where I could shoot long range. Basically it's off of CR104, or off of CR 65 (south of 104), or off of CR674 (north of 104).

ShtrRdy, this is the range I was telling you about the other day.

Pawnee Sportsmens Club

They have a 1,000 yard steel range and it's only a few miles SE of the 100yd range you guys are talking about. I didn't know about this little one, and thought the PSC was it...sort of confusing that there are two ranges that close and both called Pawnee something.

ShtrRdy, this is the range I was telling you about the other day.

Pawnee Sportsmens Club

They have a 1,000 yard steel range and it's only a few miles SE of the 100yd range you guys are talking about. I didn't know about this little one, and thought the PSC was it...sort of confusing that there are two ranges that close and both called Pawnee something.

I herd about PSC putting a new 1000 yard range. I looked it up on map quest and it's there for sure!! PSC is my fav place to shoot!! It's like the days when I first started shooting, No "mother may I" bs like you would find at cherry creek