• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Colorado Rifle Club Bans Steel Targets on the 1,000 Yard Hi-Power Range

There's a lot to angling the steel so fragments go to ground.

Properly designed , fabricated , and hung targets have almost no chance of ric's with centerfire rifle rounds . The bullets hit the plate and disintegrate . Ric's with rifle rounds come from shooting damaged steel and targets mounted improperly .

Steel needs to be mounted so there is some give in it and with the top edge angled toward the shooter if possible , this makes the plates last longer because they don't have to absorb all the energy from the impact and angles the splash down to the ground .

Email sent to Dennis

Don't just email Dennis, email the entire board. If enough people say something, hopefully they will hear our voice.

On another note, I've never been up to the Pawnee range, but reading on the site it says you can't go down range? Kind of a bummer if this is true, would like to set up my own steel targets.

Also, what's the status on shooting out to 1k, or even 1200-1400 out at the Grasslands? I'm not very familiar with the area, but if this ban at CRC sticks, I will have to start going out there on a monthly basis for my longer range work. This whole thing at CRC is very frustrating and I hope this can go up for reconsideration.

I am not familiar with this range, however; I've gun into this thing before at other ranges for the following reason. The steel targets being placed as close to the impact area as possible, greatly increased the chance of a ricochet in the pits, thus if steel was being shot, no one could be in the pits at that time. One or two guys show up with steel, and start shooting (first come first serve) they keep all others from using the range until they are finished. I've been a member of a number of clubs around the US over the years, each has it's own personality. You can almost tell what group runs a club, within the first 5 minutes you're there. You'll notice the layout, the up keep etc. One of the best ways to get a club to start shooting steel, is to have the club own the steel, have scheduled times to shoot, and $$charge$$ those shooting the steel. Money almost always gets the "in charge" groups attention.

We don't really want people to get charged to use their own club. I don't think ricochets on the steel have been an issue. I have never had a person come to the highpower range and want to use the pits, they are hardly touched. Usually it's someone else wanting to set up their steel, we call a cold range and let them set up and we shoot off the same line.

The whole draw is to have a private place to go where you don't have a bunch of trash-shooting people, or an annoying range master and you can set it up to your own liking. If you want to shoot 4" plates at 600 great. If you want to do a 12" plate at 1000 it's fine because if you are there you get to do what you want within reason and safety.

I'm going to email all the board members. Mark, let me know when you get your range proposal together, happy to PM member #, etc. The Survey for all members isn't a bad idea if we could get that going.

This is not 1000 yards, it's 100 and the guy was shooting cratered soft steel, which is a no-no with any gun, much less WITH A 50 BMG!

This has no bearing on what we are doing, we shoot quality AR-500 plate with no dimples and the splash falls straight down in 1000 pieces when it hits, you can see a hit by the dust it creates. Actually much safer than shooting rocks or whatever else. I have been shooting steel for years and never had a single ricochet when done properly, after literally 1000's of rounds.

The non hits go into a nice soft berm of dirt. No safety issue.

I don't know if you guys have seen this. Here's a 1000 yard ricochet. Almost takes off the guys head. I'm not saying I agree to the ban. I'm thinking about putting a steel target at my brother in laws to shoot 1000 yards. Just thought I'd share the video.

50 Caliber ricochet from 1000 yards almost kills - YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the list of emails of President, VP and board members that are on the CRC website. I'm sure polite, direct emails to these CRC Board members would go a lot further than name calling. Many of these members have put a lot of their time into building the club, even if not in the discipline we prefer. I think it is worth mentioning a permanent LR steel range(1500 would be great) as well as lifting the ban on steel on the high power range. Emails from actual CRC members will obviously carry lots more weight than bitching about it on this forum.

Might be a good idea to say in this thread if you emailed them, then we can know at least how many SH/CRC members have outreached them about this. Feel free to pass on to your friends that aren't active on the forum but are CRC members.

[email protected] ; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ; [email protected]; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected]

Here is the list of emails of President, VP and board members that are on the CRC website. I'm sure polite, direct emails to these CRC Board members would go a lot further than name calling. Many of these members have put a lot of their time into building the club, even if not in the discipline we prefer. I think it is worth mentioning a permanent LR steel range(1500 would be great) as well as lifting the ban on steel on the high power range. Emails from actual CRC members will obviously carry lots more weight than bitching about it on this forum.

Might be a good idea to say in this thread if you emailed them, then we can know at least how many SH/CRC members have outreached them about this. Feel free to pass on to your friends that aren't active on the forum but are CRC members.

[email protected] ; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ; [email protected]; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected]

Would a non-member emailing make any difference? I was about to join until I saw this. I've shot steel on the 1k range with LawnMM and had no issue. The next time I went with another member and was told to take it down, which I did. I also shoot the monthly rifle match on the silhouette range when I can. The attraction of being able to shoot steel to 1k was the big draw for me to finally join.

Edit to add: The idea of a 1,500 yard steel range is very exciting and I'd join and love to help out any way I could to see something like that come to fruition.
This line is exactly 1,500 yd long....if that's where you guys are proposing.

Last edited:
I think it's important that anyone who is, or is looking to become a member sends a message. It's not just for the members who plan to join, but future members as well. I think it's an even more powerful message when a non-member sends a message because that's potential money walking out the door and an obvious sign of less than favorable publicity.

COfox, the line you have is probbly not possible without a lot of dirtwork. There are other locations that are possible.

But, yes, I think polite e-mails are of value especially if current decisions will weigh on your desire to join. My hunch is that a cap will be put on in the next year, which has other ramifications.

Just my opinion...26 letters are an alphabet. 26 As is consistency.

Based on the size of the land and other range constraints, 1500yards would be pretty difficult. 1200 would be pretty easy. Permanent steel introduces some constraints several people would object to. I am still working on a draft proposal.

Based on the size of the land and other range constraints, 1500yards would be pretty difficult. 1200 would be pretty easy. Permanent steel introduces some constraints several people would object to. I am still working on a draft proposal.

Every yard counts, if 1500 would be difficult but 1200 would be easy, let's compromise at 1400 :)

Kidding aside, I think it's critical that we have the ability to put up our own steel. Plus, it's nice to lay a claim to a target that's yours and not have to worry about 5 other guys shooting at the same target.

I'd love to see the draft proposal. Staying tuned! As a side note, if they ever build a range like this, I'll personally build several barricades to be permanent fixtures at this extended range so we can get some barricade practice at CRC.

I think you'll find more resistance than you think, especially to separate the steel from the High Power Range.

The range has an NRA component to it so you'd have to consider all their safety factors when it comes to creating a 1200 yard range between the other two.

When you look at the changes to the [FONT=tahoma, arial]Schuetzen Range that is gonna be the model for safety to separate the steel from the other ranges. In fact I am surprised they didn't do more to the existing steel range based on the angle and proximity to the High Power Range.

Lastly, considering the delays with the work last time, do you think they are gonna want to not only pay for, but build another full range with berms for every yard line to 1200 yards ? It's not the same as building a 50 yard 3 Gun Bay.

Good luck,
[/FONT]

Here is my rough draft, feel free to PM me edits/ideas and when those who want to try are happy, I will run it up the flagpole:

LR Steel Range Proposal
The CRC high power range has been utilized for persons who desire to shoot long range steel, however, some recent problems have occurred. This proposal seeks to:
1. Address the interests of the wide array of range members
2. Allow those who desire to shoot steel at CRC that opportunity
3. Minimize policing of the ranges and member conflicts
4. Minimize costs to CRC for maintenance of this range.
The proposal is to create a new range between East Range berm 1 and the Silhouette range. The firing line would face due North on the section line. Berms would be constructed at distances of 200 yards, 600 yards, 800 yards, 1000 yards and 1200 yards. The firing line will be uncovered and defined by signage and boxed in flattened earth approximately 20 yards N-S and 40 yards E-W. On the East edge of this area, a roof, a barricade and a doghouse will be constructed and utilized as shooting positions.
This range should be restricted to use by members with known or demonstrated ability only who provide and use their own AR500 steel. A lockbox will be constructed and only those with demonstrated or known skill will be provided the lock combination. When the box is closed, a “RANGE CLOSED” sign will be displayed. When the box is open, a “RANGE HOT” sign will be displayed. A bound book will be inside the box with sign-in and sign out entries. The only impact would be on the Silhouette range to place and collect steel, which should take no more than 10 minutes.
CRC members who have competed competently at CRC matches that require shooting beyond 300 yards or who can so demonstrate that competence, will be provided with the lockbox combination and be re required to sign a terms of use for this range. The combination will be changed annually, or if a person is no longer allowed to use this range.
Other than the construction of the berms, the members bringing this proposal will furnish the time, labor and material to construct the shooting line, lockbox and constructed shooting positions. We will also create a safety protocol and conditions of use agreement for CRC BOD approval. Further, it is anticipated that this range, once completed, will also have a monthly match.
We believe that a dedicated long range steel range is practical, will generate income for the club, and will solve some of the issues that have occurred by incompetent persons using steel on the High power range. Once this range is completed, the High Power range steel use allowance could be modified.

Hell ya COFox, I think it would be good for them to hear from prospective members. Maybe even tell them the difference between joining and not joining would be steel at 1000 yards or more for you if that's the case. I'm going to copy this image and email it, there is a lot of space to be used out there.

Would a non-member emailing make any difference? I was about to join until I saw this. I've shot steel on the 1k range with LawnMM and had no issue. The next time I went with another member and was told to take it down, which I did. I also shoot the monthly rifle match on the silhouette range when I can. The attraction of being able to shoot steel to 1k was the big draw for me to finally join.

Edit to add: The idea of a 1,500 yard steel range is very exciting and I'd join and love to help out any way I could to see something like that come to fruition.
This line is exactly 1,500 yd long....if that's where you guys are proposing.

Last edited:
Realize that as part of the range income, there is CRP which can not be encroached upon. If we really want a dedicated steel range, it has to have minimal or no effect on other ranges, meet NRA guidelines too. Shutting down Silhouette AND high power to place steel would be difficult at best, dangerous if it goes wrong. I put a draft proposal in the other thread, which it sure would be nice if the two threads got merged!

I honestly don't think that proposals outlines the values and benefits quite well enough, also they are gonna want to know about costs to build, layout, etc.

It falls far short in a lot of areas if you ask me. And just suggesting they manage the steel with a sign out log is a bad idea.

You'll need maps, plans, prints, etc, you'll need costs, benefits to the membership.

Bathrooms, access downrange, safety fans, impact zones, as well as environmental impacts to the wildlife because it is a wildlife refuge

Are you going to be a signatory on the proposal? The sign-out log has nothing to do with the steel. If you want to help, dive in and offer some text Frank.

That makes sense Mark. Is there another spot on the property where we could get out to 1500? Seems like if we are going to do this, we should get it done right. By that I mean anticipate wants and needs for the future. Having multiple berms at different distances is very nice, allowing us to true data and practice going from one distance to another from the same spot. Of course 1200 is better than what the situation is now. 1400-1500 yards gives us ELR, 338 Lapua distance right on site. Perhaps getting this done to 1200 now would be smartest and possibly do an ELR berm to even 2000 yards further to the west would be something to look at later.That would be a big draw. You seem better acquainted with what the politics and layout of the range are. If that's not practical, then it seems your proposal could be the best opportunity to get us into action now. Would be great to have a LR Steel match for this range other than prairie-dogs.

Only having to shut down the silhouette range seems optimal and gives us the most likely chance of getting going. I would be happy to use my work-bond for this project and add extra hours if needed. I'm sure many others would feel the same.

The only other thing I would add to your proposal is that we need to get the steel on the High Power range allowed again ASAP. Who knows how long this steel-only range will take. I also think that the 200 yard berm would be nice, but the least needed to start with. Would rather see berms go up further, first.

Last edited:
That makes sense Mark. Is there another spot on the property where we could get out to 1500? Seems like if we are going to do this, we should get it done right. By that I mean anticipate wants and needs for the future. Having multiple berms at different distances is very nice, allowing us to true data and practice going from one distance to another from the same spot. Of course 1200 is better than what the situation is now. 1400-1500 yards gives us ELR, 338 Lapua distance right on site. Perhaps getting this done to 1200 now would be smartest and possibly do an ELR berm to even 2000 yards further to the west would be something to look at later.That would be a big draw. You seem better acquainted with what the politics and layout of the range are. If that's not practical, then it seems your proposal could be the best opportunity to get us into action now. Would be great to have a LR Steel match for this range other than prairie-dogs.

Only having to shut down the silhouette range seems optimal and gives us the most likely chance of getting going. I would be happy to use my work-bond for this project and add extra hours if needed. I'm sure many others would feel the same.

The only other thing I would add to your proposal is that we need to get the steel on the High Power range allowed again ASAP. Who knows how long this steel-only range will take. I also think that the 200 yard berm would be nice, but the least needed to start with. Would rather see berms go up further, first.

Honestly, I don't care about bathrooms, a roof, a cement shooting pad, etc. just build some burms and let me know where the firing line is. We've already got a short / medium distance steel range, I just want a few berms from say 600 yards to say 1400 yards.

Most guys that have invested in the gear to shoot those distances have their own steel anyway. Let's make this as affordable as possible to get past the leadership and maybe later we add some more frills. Honestly, I think that limiting it to the longer distances will keep some of the less serious shooters off this range anyway.

We just need to figure out where we could propose putting this in. What about moving out to the east of the east berms? Or is it possible to extend the existing steel range out past 1000?

Regarding protocols, I don't see why we'd need any different rules than the existing steel range. We'd just need to add some flags like on the high power range. Let's not make this any more complicated than it needs to be.

The request to remove the steel restriction on the HP range is alive and well. Unless the BOD reads SH or COAR15, I doubt they have any idea that a steel range is very much wanted.

East of the 200 yard East berm is probably a no go. Just a short distance to the East is the edge of the CRP. It might be possible to alter that a little, but I will have to look at the plans. The one downside is that 200 yard berm is another place that the general membership can go sight in a hunting rifle or plink. It is also used for 3Gun and the big Cowboy match. I was trying to find something that sans a match on the Silhouette range, would be more dedicated to LR shooters.

My thought for the 200 yard berm was to have one close berm so if you switched loads, or glass, you could still use that distance and get on target. But you make a good point. Maybe just 600, 800, 1000 and 1200?

I honestly believe that without some sort of controls, it will be a non-starter, but if that is what you all want, I will remove it.

These efforts are encouraging. CRC is a member driven club. I think it's easy for some to forget that. The board is there to "direct" us, but we ultimately make things happen on the range. If we take the downed fence for example, that's truly up to us to help fix it. I know that I, hindsight being 20/20, should have spent a few hours up there to just fix it when I first noticed it. They have post-hole diggers and equipment on-site that could have been used to fix it. One member ultimately stepped up and quickly fixed it. And keep in mind, this wasn't only an issue about trespassing on CRC, it was an issue of trespassing on the Bluff's land. They weren't happy about it, and having their good graces is important to the club for a number of reasons. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to get that out there as a reminder.

The same is true for the High Power situation, or what Mark is proposing. By making logical, and reasonable requests, the board will help guide the club, but we are ultimately responsible for the work and voicing our opinions. I think we are approaching this the right way by proposing a solution. I think it would also be helpful if as many people read this send a message to the board and let them know that not only do you want to shoot steel on the High Power (for now, and change that if what we are proposing takes hold), but also that if they were to take action on an extended range out to 1200, we have much support in the form of labor to help make this happen. Whether its building the firing line, props, etc...we have to help with this. That's the most effective way to enact change at the club, since again this is a member driven club. Don't hesitate to email them a 2nd time, a 3rd time and so on. The more involved we are, the better chance we have at enacting change.

I'm going to offer up buying and installing some signs around the high power that would direct people where to place steel. I know there are several other ideas that have been thrown around, and we should all approach this from that viewpoint...we will make a difference if we get involved. Mark is the case in point with all his efforts at the East Range. Not only did he help draft proposals, but he also got out there and busted his ass to make it happen. Just look at the CRC calendar and how many times his name comes up next to events...

Also, it seems that the style of shooting we are looking to cater to is the tactical precision rifle crowd, and I'm defining that as the bolt action guys. This is a HUGE market of shooters that CRC has barely tapped into. Thanks to the Silhouette range and the ability to use steel on the High Power, the club has attracted some of those members. The proposal, and keeping the ability to use steel on the High Power for now will ensure we retain those members and continue to draw more. The proposal for an extended range is truly a next step and I think would grow the member base to a whole new level.

Mark - regarding the 200yd berm, I'd say leave that out for now. I'd push for the 600, 800, 1000, 1200 (1400 would be awesome, but I'm pushing it here). Also, I wonder if there is a way we can sort of "rally the troops" via the 'Hide, COAR15 or some other way to help support the proposal and start to make things happen. Do you think drafting a proposal for what a match would look like on this range would help too? Perhaps this would give an even stronger case for ROI if we could demonstrate how much $ this could bring to the club.

Anyways, that's my thoughts this morning over a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
afate45, all good comments. I will certainly let myself be described as a rabble rouser, but I would rather not term it "Mark's" proposal. I made a proposal 2 years ago in kind with Frank's, and it went nowhere. The more people willing to sign on, help, influence, the more traction it will get. Groups have more influence than individuals. That much I have learned. The reconfiguration of the East berms to include a 100 and a 200 is evidence of that fact.

I have received PMs from several people on SH already, and a put a post up on COAR15 with the same, so there are already about 10 guys who said they will support it no matter what the final language.

The part that gets the most comments is the restriction, as most don't want any, neither for drawing and shooting on the move on the East range. I still say a restriction is better than prohibition. Realize that 10 years ago, there was not an option to do ANY of the types of shooting that I do currently at CRC. Roughly half the members are now involved in those types of shooting at CRC. The change and momentum for same is there if one can see the big picture.

Duly noted, we are talking about a proposal from members since we'll be the ones supporting it. Definitely makes sense. I am editing my post to reflect this.

Can you clarify what you mean about controls here Mark?

"I honestly believe that without some sort of controls, it will be a non-starter, but if that is what you all want, I will remove it. "

I agree with what has been said here, I don't care about covers, a concrete pad or bathrooms. Just berms where I can throw up steel and a defined firing line. It would be nice to have a bigger piece of permanent steel hung on the furthest berm, but that doesn't have to happen right away. We could make a sign at the firing line that NO SHOOTING ANY CLOSER TO BERMS THAN HERE or something, so that people wouldn't shoot from past the line.

When we agree on a proposal I will email the board again, Mark I hear what you are saying about being a group proposal. I would be happy to donate time digging post holes for signs, target posts on said berms or whatever.

One cool thing would be to install frames on the berms and let people hang their own steel off the frames. Again, not something that is essential right away.

This might be a small inconvenience but has at least got some of us off our keisters. As long as the board is responsive to our concerns I see this as being a good thing in some ways. Brings us new LR shooters out of the woodwork.

I am pretty sure the ranges used have to meet some sort of safety standard to maintain the NRA affiliation and get their support."

You guys act like it is BLM land you just want access to it.

The open space is a wildlife refuge, that has to be considered. Services like Bathrooms have to be considered. Safety of the other ranges have to be considered.

The whole, "I don't need anything" is great for you, but that is not how the place operates. Even over at the new 3 GUN Bays there are bathrooms, access, and safety fans to consider.

This whole, fly by the seat of your pants approach is gonna be a non-starter. Why the heck do you think they brought the NRA to update the existing berms to meet a certain standard... cause they wanted to employ the local earth mover ?

There is minimum sizes of berms to consider, whether other ranges need to be called cold if you go downrange. On top of that there is issue with steel, you can't have just anyone bring an hubcap in and call it a target.

if you want to just throw targets out and flop on the ground, go find some BLM land or hit the Forest areas... this is organized range with minimum standards to meet.

Can you clarify what you mean about controls here Mark?

Some method that allows the BOD to see that the people and processes are "safe". I put it in quotes because sometimes showing and knowing is different. Without even knowing some people who are involved in this conversation, I would assume there would be no issue. However, people not used to the tactical/practical types of matches like to have some ability to touchstone on a control. Call it a security blanket, but in many cases, that is what allows something to progress when otherwise it would not be allowed at all.

BTW, a log book is but one of several "NRA recommended" practices to ensure ranges are safely utilized.

Hey I have a private range to use, I have steel out to 1500, and if I want I can go to Trigger Time's property and shoot anytime I want. They have ton of steel and ranges to 3000 yards...

If you want this to succeed, you have to meet a certain minimum standard. This isn't addressed to Mark but all the others who think they can just say, "Put a berm here" and it will get okayed.

if you don't like the reality of the situation don't play the game.

Any body that has done the range check out procedures , the proper terms escape me now , for the military with all the calibers, range fans , safety plans , and such should understand what Frank is talking about .

The thing to remember here is the board begrudgingly approved steel on the 1k range , they have never been overjoyed about the idea to begin with and these idiots gave them their out .

The board knows full well the demand for long range steel for precision rifle . RJ's match from the beginning has drawn at least as many shooters as HP and silhouette and most times double and triple that they pull . So much so it has gone to 2 relays in the same day . This has been a club match there for over two years . There are board members , including the president , that have shot the match .

Like I said before knowing the boards predisposition to the NRA disciplines , which this ain't , I'm not holding my breath .

Really hope I'm wrong but almost 20 years of history is what I'm basing my opinions on .

Last edited:
It is still a non-profit, member driven organization. When like 2/3rds of the revenue is being generated by the practical/tactical matches, that gives some power to those who participate in those disciplines.

Frank I realize that there are issues to address both with NRA certification and safety and being a game refuge. Obviously that will come into play. I don't think anyone is advocating we rent a backhoe and get this done this weekend. If you have knowledge/ideas about how to address these issues at CRC and get what we want why don't you contribute those? We aren't are all crazy hubcap shooters because we are willing to go without some amenities if it improves our chances our chances for this. That's great you have access to your own private range and Trigger Time's range whenever you want and can kiss off the CRC for anything but your videos and High Power targets. Not all of us have that luxury, to get a second, more expensive membership or drive up there every weekend or two to shoot. I do plan on shooting the Trigger Time monthly match if/when that gets going for non-members.

I came from Idaho where we DID have BLM land to go do this at. My range in Parma was very tactical/precision rifle friendly too. It's nicer/safer shooting on a private range set up properly in my experience. Here in CO, we both know the BLM land is not so easy to come by, and especially for long range shooting within an hour of southern Denver. Here everyone and their mother goes to the mountains and BLM land is not so easy to find where you can reach 1500+ safely without riders, or other hunters or plinkers being in the way.

As for my and others' attitude about bathrooms and shade awnings, from what the map looks like the silhouette bathrooms look pretty freaking close, at most a hundred yards? If we have a better chance of getting this approved without the amenities to start with I think most are ok walking/driving 30 seconds to take a dump. Safety is obviously going to be most important from the get-go.

First we need to get the CRC board to realize this is something a fairly large group of LR shooters/CRC members would like. I received an email from the previous VP that just stepped down, Jim Brummerstedt, seems like a nice guy. He stated the board was not aware of how many people have joined to shoot steel at CRC at 1000+. So thanks to those who have emailed the board, we obviously need to advocate more for ourselves. I do think it's a bit disingenuous of the board to claim they didn't know this was desired since it seems in every orientation people ask about steel on the High Power range and the fact that the Prairie Dog match is very popular.

It seems Mark's idea of putting it in-between the pistol berms to the east and the silhouette range to the west would be a more likely spot than other open spaces (for environmental impact reasons?). Yes, having a system and protocol in place to go cold on the silhouette range would need to be addressed. Also the quality of targets put up by members is a good point too, this may go into the "control" Mark brought up. Perhaps the log book could have a statement about AR400 or harder and proof of good targets be required for the waiver/lock-box access for this range. Education is key here, because done right things can be safe.

Afate generously volunteered his time and experience with graphic design for making signs to address the issue of where to place steel on the high power range. He also offered to create a diagram that could be emailed to the general membership or put on the website.

I appreciate everyone's efforts here, and Frank for giving us a place to organize and discuss these issues.

Hey I have a private range to use, I have steel out to 1500, and if I want I can go to Trigger Time's property and shoot anytime I want. They have ton of steel and ranges to 3000 yards...

If you want this to succeed, you have to meet a certain minimum standard. This isn't addressed to Mark but all the others who think they can just say, "Put a berm here" and it will get okayed.

if you don't like the reality of the situation don't play the game.

Seeing how Mark is running with this, I have made suggestions that can absolutely be put into his proposal.

if was proposing this it would be:

1. Cost as per the previous earth work to add a continuous berm alongside the High Power Range. It would include the distance and minimum height required to shield the High Power Shooters from the newly proposed steel range.

2. Cost as per the previous earth work to add a continuous berm on the silhouette range side

3. Option could be to just make a 1200 yard long (I think 1500 is bit much when you consider the costs) rectangle with a continuous berm on both sides and an ending berm at the back. You would have to establish a width for the steel range, like 50 yards or more.

Really you want to sell it as a 1200 yard "Bay" and not model it after the high power range at all. By using a Big Bay style set up with a large berm surrounding it, you avoid having to make individual berms and you can make it KD or UKD.

4. Cost for an access road going from the driveway to the end of the range inside the berms.

5. An established firing line, here I would suggest gravel or sand and not use concrete or a cover.

If you want to use the silhouette range bathroom, the access road should be extended to that range. Cost and distance to create a roadway here.

Clearly it only takes one person with bad steel or poor common sense to ruin a good thing, which is why you either have the range install AR500 targets or say in big bold letters AR500 ONLY because the quality of the steel matters when it comes to ricochets. Personally I think the current gongs being used on the silhouette range are too soft, full craters and are plain dangerous. So a cost needs to be included for steel to outfit the range.

I have no issue with a log book or anything like that, but generally speaking people are lazy, people are lacking in common sense and just like driving through the fence to avoid opening the gate they will simply ignore it.

6. Propose a qualification process to anyone who wants to use it. With a zero tolerance policy. If you get caught shooting less than AR500 or doing something unsafe, even something as simple as not signing the log, you lose the privilege.

But you're gonna need a cost, and dimensions of the area, which I believe the cheapest would be a single bay that is the distance you want to establish.

there is room, you can propose a monthly steel match, etc... but I can't see how you suggest anything less than a full berm.

One last PS.

Depending on how wide the proposition is, you might have to consider some smaller berms down the center at KD ranges to pick up any potential skips off the ground.

A narrower bay allows you to only place the steel against the outside edges to catch all the rounds, but a wider one means targets in the center would have to have a berm for protection against skips. Anything launching out of the bay would be a bad thing, so you'd need catch berms down the center and part of the qualification to use the bay would be standoff distances to place any steel so the misses don't get a running start to fly out over the top.

Having dealt with target placement , on a smaller scale , at AGC Frank I can tell you first hand the heart ache they had with paper targets in only 50 , 100 , and 200 yard bays .

The NRA range survey came out and said the berms, already 15ish foot , needed to be twice that high and all targets had to be placed in such a fashion that all rounds impacted the end and not the side berms . Also the only place there that shoots centerfire steel is the pistol berms .

Steel targets are a foreign concept to the NRA for the most part and there programs evidence that .

I can see all kinds of grief for a 1200 yard centerfire rifle bay . Bad thing is is that is exactly what everybody I know would want .

The problem is education of all the people that are stuck in there ways and refuse to believe that the action shooting sports have no more inherent danger than any others .

Every club that I've shot at has the grouchy old guy's that come around and see something and straight away it's" that ain't safe I'm goin to the board " and they have the time to keep making noise till you or the board gets tired of it and does something to shut them up . There is a whole lot of " WTF do these guy's think there doin on MY range " going on too .

Gunclub politics is whats going on and the board typically does what they want and not the membership , the news letter shows that where it says the decision was made at the board meeting after the general membership annual meeting ended . Why not take care of this when members were there to discuss it .

Last edited:
No way in God's green earth that the CRC board will allow a 1,200 yard steel target range.

Keep in mind that there was huge debate about the current silhouette range. It was purchased years ago to "fend off possible development encroachment", and only due to budget reasons it wasn't converted into something more NRA friendly. The silhouette range used to be the Turkey Creek Gun Club (don't quote me, it's been a while).

Point is that the CRC bought the next door gun club for fear of development and they didn't even want steel targets back then either.

The NRA is ruling the roost, (mostly the old-timer grumpy assed bastards who think they own the club), but since it's also a wildlife preserve there will be no way we could simply crack out the 'dozers and plow away.

So Frank you are proposing we go from a berm style set up to two parallel walls of dirt that run continuously for 1200 yards all the way to the end berm? Basically like a 1200 yard "pistol pit?" That seems cost prohibitive in terms of earthwork.

I think there is some confusion where Mark is proposing this steel range. He is saying to have it between the East pistol pits and the silhouette range, not between the silhouette and highpower ranges. So with that in mind I don't think the need for one long wall of dirt is there since the HP range isn't next to it. COFox's image might have confused people because the line he drew on the map is not where Mark was proposing this go.

Last edited:
@verdugo60

I don't think you understand how steel works, and while it may not be addressed correctly at the current silhouette range, any new range would need to cover both, behind the steel and to the sides. Any glance off the edge has the potential to send rounds flying off at sharp angles. The first time someone anywhere on CRC hears that "whizz" of the ricochet it's all over. One of the reasons the whole place was redone was because the High Power Jockey's were sweating the ricochets from 100-200 yard range was going over their heads. They were completely deceived by the sound. I was there one day were the guys from the high power range came over screaming because a guy in the middle of the range was shooting at 50 yards and it went straight over the 200 yard berm and really no where near the high power range. But they heard the whizz and freaked out.

Personally I think the red line (Cofox) is the right place for any proposal. It's the best possible position to accommodate the distance and the safety concerns. The only way to do it as individual berms is to create a series of "pockets" like a pool table, it would need to be an angled "V" with limited space to actually put steel up inside the V. Then it would absolutely need permanent steel there, and no access downrange.

I don' t see you putting it inline with the 200 - 300 yard line of the current steel range, that puts the firing line too far forward and too much to the side and there is no side protection there. But that is me... your mileage may vary. You're also potentially talking about people being behind the 3 Gun bays. Nobody is gonna want to do that.

A pistol bay set up is actually the cheapest option. You're not gonna scrape up enough dirts for any berms, you'll have to have dirt trucked in. So dropping it in a straight line is much easier. Any way you slice it, it's gonna be expensive to do it right, and satisfy any concerns from the "Old Guard".

I have dealt with a lot of steel ranges, adding, protecting, etc, and this is your easiest bet to protect all interested parties. A glance off steel has been known to travel quite far.

The only other option is to completely overhaul the current steel target range and use that. That is gonna require a bit of a redesign but it's doable to just extend that and keep it the one and only steel range. It's an option, instead of adding a new range, just fixing the current one.

I have no skin in this; but let me offer this up. The NRA doesn't certify ranges. The Range committee if requested by the club will perform an evaluation. The eval is based off of guidance such as The NRA Range Sourcebook (which anyone can buy from the NRA in CD or paper) and they make recommendations based on it. The club if free to do what it wants from there. I would also recommend the guidance from Savage Range Systems (free on their web site) for shooting steel. Containment is a huge concern when steel is used; often it is deployed incorrectly. Basic rules 20' backstop, 10' berms, steel in front of the backstop. If you have only 1 backstop, steel is anchored there and the firing line is moved. Other options are baffles, and bunkers for steel

The club recently went to the NRA for an evaluation and that prompted the changes that took place in the last few months. This suggestion is a bit late, but needless to say, the governing board is very NRA centric so more than likely they would consult the NRA Range committee again.

They are a bit adverse to things outside of the NRA's support system. Hence the references to the NRA, as they have default to them in the past.

It's understandable; this is the typical response when there is an incident. I am really not trying to be an armchair quarterback here; the point I failed t make is to use these docs to formulate your plan because it's considered the standard and based on the commentary the litmus test you would be evaluated to.

[MENTION=7]Lowlight[/MENTION]

Come on, don't be condescending. Don't know what raised your ire, I'm really not interested in a pissing contest online. I clarified the difference between the proposal prototype Mark has been discussing and the image some people seem to be going off from what COfox posted. I know how steel works. A square hit, the shrapnel goes pretty much straight down, a few pieces to the sides and also up. They are small and while sharp don't have the mass to be a danger to anyone 50 yards away in front of the target, much less hundreds. Side shrapnel concerns are addressed with berms on the side, but they just wouldn't travel hundreds of yards to other ranges. (deflections off the edge of the target are a different story.) A complete miss they go in the berm high, low left, right, hopefully not over the top of the berm. A hit to the edge where AR500 steel is softened if heat-cut (or even a harder water-cut edge) and you could get a weird side-angle deflection. You brought up some good points, that's all we are doing is brainstorming until we find the most likely idea to be safe enough and financially feasible enough to pass

Are you advocating a series of v shaped pockets for steel now or a 1200 yard continuos bunker for COfox's line or both?

@ everyone:

Looking at the map, the line COfox drew has TWO ranges that would point at the end bunker of proposed new range. Only the great dirt wall of Byers Frank proposed would protect target setters from High-power on the left, silhouette on the right. That would mean no going down range to paint/place targets UNLESS a continuous berm is done.

That would suck, especially because I see that as a lot less feasible than pocket berms for steel set by us the users. Being able to put up our own steel and/or paint the club's steel is important. It helps identify hits and see groups at long range.

Mark's spot only gives us one other distance range to think about, the silhouette range.

I don't like the idea of moving shooting lines and having one static berm for steel. It's what we have to do on the high-power range but it doesn't give us practice switching distances/ truing dope from the same spot. It also poses another less-desirable feature of the High Power range, that being that the person there first picks the distance and anyone else coming later is shooting that one too.For the new range I would prefer one firing line with multiple pocket berms. We need to anticipate this being a very popular range too, especially as word spreads.

I like the V'ish or at least side-walled shaped pocket berm idea for that "just-in-case" edge hit. The issue with the spot Mark is proposing is whether those new far-east 100 and 200 yard berms would be enough to protect target painters/setters on this new range? They are pointed right at the potential area we would be down range. Perhaps they are high enough/wide enough to make it a non-issue, would have to look at it from the firing lines there (that have yet to set up from what I can tell.) I'm not worried about pistol rounds going over the shorter East berms. They are too high and the shooter's too close to the berm for the bullet angle to be low enough to worry about.

I agree that the current steel on the silhouette range is crap, it's soft and cratered and ideal for rics. I agree that a cheaper and more feasible alternative to a whole new steel range may be to revamp/extend the silhouette range. Maybe not. Seems it would have to mean that the longer distance berms move northeast,(if following the current trend setup there) which puts people on the West end of the firing line blocked by closer berms.

The nice thing about having a steel only range separate is that we could make it secure and thus better protect club steel. I can just see morons on the silhouette range shooting expensive AR500 plate at 200 yards with 556 green tip.

Trucking dirt in for properly shaped berms to protect side deflections would be a hell of a lot cheaper no matter where we put it than a continuous 1200 yard double wall, straight lines or no. It would also have much less impact on the protected prairie dog wildlife I would think.

Last edited:
Follow the guidance and the experts @ savage; the deflection pattern is 360 deg

If you think I was being condescending you need to increase your comprehension of what I was saying and maybe follow the links to the Savage Brochure on steel placement. Even with angled steel targets, a glance off the neck, shoulder, or head area sends the rounds launching high and far. Without proper coverage that is going towards someone's head on another range. The splatter while an issue is not the issue of concern I was talking about. Let alone if you guys even considered what a 338 will do and sound like flying over the top.

But I am done with this circle jerk, I gave you my thoughts and personally think everyone is wasting each others time.

Good luck with your campaign, you'll need it. I'll stick to my current shooting locations. Unless I need the paper target of the high power range for a specific reason, like when AI wanted the NRA targets in the image, you'd be hard pressed to find me there anyway. I have paper to 1k, steel to 1500 and benches if I want to play that game. Plus it's private, no lowest common denominators scaring the women folk.

I would recommend stopping in every church you pass on the way home from work and lighting candles, either that or hire a voodoo priestess to conjure up a little magic.

Toodles ...