• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt Accurized Rifle (CR6724)

Re: Colt Accurized Rifle (CR6724)

My old rifle was there on consignment. The owner set the price. I asked my gun shop to tell the owner of my interest, and also informed him the current price. He told me,"we both know these earlier ones are better and the price reflected this" "Oh really," I thought. Anyway the rifle didn't include the few 30 round mags, harris bipod, sling or the weaver I originally sold it with. The box and papers were gone. It ended up going out the door for $1350. I was only willing to go $1200 and that was for the sentimental value to me. The best price for new I seen at that time was $1099. That price is about $200 more than I paid new for the one I had in 1997ish. It was around back then Colt even gave you a nice light weight jacket. All and all the 6724 has been stable in price for the most part. I feel it is still a value today.

Does anyone know if the barrel on this rifle is proprietary Colt when replacement time comes- or is a Bartlein or Krieger barrel a possibility? I have one and its great- i have about 600 rounds through it and figure I will hit 5-6k later next year. I hope if the rifle begins to lose accuracy that a replacement barrel is possible (other than colt). Or is this rifle like the 6940 where everything is propriety and when it wears out- you cannot replace with non-Colt parts. Maybe thats Colts plan- parts wear out you just have to buy a whole new rifle.

Colt is pretty friendly on the phone. If no one knows, might be worth a shot calling them direct for an answer.

I posted this on another thread- but here it is again.

Ok. Just got off the phone with Colt. The lady said that the barrels on the 6940 are interchangeable- but the reciever and the tool to change the barrel are proprietary. I specifcally asked if I bought a 6940 and shot the barrel out of it, would I need to send it to Colt only for a new barrel or could I replace it with a mil spec Krieger etc and she said that is possible. The same is true for the CR6724 I own as well. The barrels are interchangeable with other manufacturers. She said the tool needed to change the barrel in the 6940 is proprietary. For what its worth.

I had one for 4-5 years - sold it in a weak moment! I shot several 10 shot groups that averaged around 1/2 MOA using 69gr MKs and Varget powder. It even shot 80gr MKs, decently, with no keyholes! If the one you are looking to buy is anything like the one I had you can't go wrong.
Dave

I know this is an old Thread but I wanted to add this.

Bought this Rifle 3 years ago and my impression is different then these other gentleman.

The Trigger on mine felt very heavy but crisp. I didn't put a trigger pull meter on it as it was just unacceptable.

Replace with the small Pin Geissele National Match Trigger see pdf below.

http://geissele.com/pdfs/HiSpeed-Match-Flyer.pdf

After this install the Colt 6734 will now shoot Hornady 55gr Vmax at 3/4 MOA.

Handloading 69gr Sierra the best I can also do is 1/2MOA.

My background is F class and open class where I shoot custom rifles of my design.
This Colt from my perspective is fine with my setup but mine will do no better then 3/4 MOA which for an AR15 is OK.

Ian

When did Colt go back to small pin lowers? Both mine are earlier models with large pin lower receivers.

I love old threads
I bought mine years ago for $1,000 used but in near new condition, seemed expensive at the time
Its my dedicated prairie dog rig
JARD trigger, SAW grip and 3 lb lead ingot in the stock
40gr Nosler ballistic tip over 23.5 gr of Reloader 10x in Lake City brass @ just under 3,500 fps
5 shot 100yd groups at 1/3 inch all day long off sand bags
the results on p dogs are devastating

I paid 1149 + 230 for SSA-E then 732 for a WOA 18" varmint upper with 1 in 7" twist and had it fluted. Then I sold the Colt upper for 500. Final cost is $1511 not counting scope, mounts, bipod and sling. Scope is a Bushnell 4.5-18x40mm which I got on sale for 174. It tracks as accurate and repeatable as my Vortex 6-24 PST FFP MOA scope.

BUSHNELL 4.5-18X40 BDC RETICLE TARGET AR-SCOPE | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

Attachments

• P5210002.JPG
    P5210002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
  • P5210004.jpg
    P5210004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • P5210005.jpg
    P5210005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • P5300004.jpg
    P5300004.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 56
DSCN0008.jpg

This is from my second CR 6724, best value AR for accuracy/precision in my opinion. First one was still shooting decent at 7,500 rounds.

The single best ever witnessed group at 400 yards

TAC77MK184MOA405yds.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

impressive group for 400 yards...but why not show the entire target with the other groups??? honestly i could care less if a rifle groups at .3-.6 moa...those dead ground hogs are all that matters...ask them if the bullet didnt hit where the shooter intended...oh wait..you cant why???? their dead...they are all dead..

DSCN0039-1.jpg

There, happy... I was

I have own one of these CR6724s for longer than 10 years and found this thread by accident. Don't mean to butt in here or intrude, but the reason I ended up with one of these Colts was I got out-shot by a man which became our gunsmith and he was using a 6 year old one w/ over 14K rounds thru it and still getting 10 shot 10 inch groups at the 1K line. I was using a VT77 Ruger with a custom cryo'd bbl chambered in 7.62/308, I got smoked and so I sold the bolt rifle and bought a CR6724.

3 tricks to this rifle (from this now 60 year old man who learned along time ago that old guys can not only shoot, but build kickass rifles as well)

Jewell 2-stage (mines a hair less than 2# and I'm certain there are other fine triggers that will suffice here - point being dump the Colt)
Leupold Mil-dot scope (properly mounted, mine's an old VXIII by Premier Recticle, back when they used to work on Leupys)
77 grn SMKs pushed at max velocity (MK262 mod2 should probably work although we use our own custom REDLINE load as we don't have access to military powders or primers) Our load runs abit less MV than the MK 262 and it goes subsonic between 900 and the 1K line. FYI, I was shooting this rifle in NRA "F" class matches at one time, (for proof of disbelievers) and using my gunsmith's developed load long before Black Hills started work on the MK262 rounds for SF and yes we still have an 800 yard range off the back porch and I still get it out on occasion when I tire of shooting the same load thru a Kreiger custom hvy-bbl'd 223 Remy 700.

Have never seen one of these AR rifles that won't group using these tricks, hope this helps others that want to get the most outta the most accurate factory AR I ever saw or shot.

DwnRange, where the lead meets the meat!

I was very lucky I bought on LNIB with all the extras for $750 a few years ago. It has never disappointed me. I shoot 52 grain SMK's with 26.2 grains of W748 and my 5 shoot 100 yard groups have always been ~ 0.5 moa sometimes better. I've never tried any of the 69 grain smk's as I am happy with the 52 gain smk's out to 200 yards which is the longest distance I can presently shoot at my gun club.