• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt bolt action rifle

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Didn't see this covered in the threads. It appears Colt is producing a bolt action rifle. Chamberings offered in 308 win, and 6.5 creed. MSRP is $1899. From looking at the article. Seems all proprietary other than the chassis. Nothing mentioned about interchangeability. Doesn't seem like itd be worth $1899 when you can do a custom rig for a few hundred more.

Definately trying to broaden their horizons with this. Curious about the rem700 pic rail compatibility, now that Remington 700 alpha 1 has gone full round rather than reduced height rear. Plus Stiller, vudoo, pierce, etc.. all round. Missed the mark there.

Safety would be good for ambi-shooting,
    But that bolt lift looks horribly stiff. Least it's 60deg.

Only a 5 round mag, and pitching at PRS ? gfto with that. Supply a 10. The 5 is for hunting in like, some weird state reg. Also make it come with a brake for that price. Sheesh. Even a basic one, something..

Savage style barrel nut for head spacing ? Again, gfto with that stuff. Control your tolerances for headspace. Bigger Knox form shank, release drawing for pre-fits.

Still, I think it's decent for what it is. Curious if it feeds from AW mags. (Bet it won't).

Business tip for colt if they ever read this: products survive when there's after market support. If you make everything weird or don't do your homework on the demographic you wanna pitch to, you may as well piss into a fan, coz you won't hit the mark.
    Guns are Barbie dolls for grown men. We like to play and accessorize. Ok pic rail, I'll give you that as theres a ton of options, But trigger will be property, when you should have had a look at what Timney makes, and make something which allows it to be compatible, then ensure it takes ALL magazines, like AI-AW double stack, also provide barrel shank drawings in the owners manual, and all torque settings like action screws, etc. And make all screws "off the shelf" items. Not some weird ass size Allen key or stupid bolt length or head shape. Just regular 1" long SHCS bolts. MDT can easily accommodate the counter bored holes to suit.

I'm here for all your engineering feedback.

At least new management is trying to adjust for the future since the MSR market is so diluted, but probably too little too late for the Precision Rifle market. I wouldn't buy one in place of an MPA, Bad Rock, etc. for a little more $$.

I'd rather have a CZ TSR...
    CZ-TSR-02.jpg

Last edited:
    At least new management is trying to adjust for the future since the MSR market is so diluted, but probably too little too late for the Precision Rifle market. I wouldn't buy one in place of an MPA, Bad Rock, etc. for a little more $$.
    Agreed. I know colt makes quality, but since CZ acquired them, it doesn't feel like much of a colt anymore, plus the whole rollmark thing on their lowers now. The trigger seems heavy in this as well.

Agreed. I know colt makes quality, but since CZ acquired them, it doesn't feel like much of a colt anymore, plus the whole rollmark thing on their lowers now. The trigger seems heavy in this as well.
    If they didn't want to make another 700 clone, they should have tried to be a better alternative to the 700 like Tikka has been doing. No one is going to buy this rifle. Hardly anyone is even talking about it...

Without doing a lot of research it looks to me, another missed mark. Aiming for the crowd that Ruger shot at and hit 8 years ago.

All these folks are building Precision Rifles, apparently wanting a piece of the pie that Ruger filled almost a decade ago. (the inexpensive Precision Rifle Market). Always they choose 6.5 CM and .308. Nothing wrong with either of those two rounds. Great rounds, but the precision rifle crowd moved on a Long Time Ago. If they were really serious or even half way wanting to be “want to be’s” chambering at least a 6mm round should be a given. Even something as easy as a fast twist .243 Win or a 6CM.

I like the 6.5. Had a really bad experience with the .308 (qualified on an M-14 and shot it well but did not like it much and then owned a late model Remington, terrible rifle, worst mechanical device I ever owned but I digress

Rifle builders, Want to build a precision rifle, go ahead, chamber it in 6.5 and .308, you’ll sell a bunch of them, but if you are serious, try a 6CM or maybe go wild with a 6BR. Go on, you can do it, it won’t hurt…

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Or remember that time Colt bought out Ultra Light Arms and tried to mass produce Melvin Forbes’ custom super lightweight bolt action hunting rifles? Yeah…that was awesome. 😏

• Haha
    Without doing a lot of research it looks to me, another missed mark. Aiming for the crowd that Ruger shot at and hit 8 years ago.

All these folks are building Precision Rifles, apparently wanting a piece of the pie that Ruger filled almost a decade ago. (the inexpensive Precision Rifle Market). Always they choose 6.5 CM and .308. Nothing wrong with either of those two rounds. Great rounds, but the precision rifle crowd moved on a Long Time Ago. If they were really serious or even half way wanting to be “want to be’s” chambering at least a 6mm round should be a given. Even something as easy as a fast twist .243 Win or a 6CM.

I like the 6.5. Had a really bad experience with the .308 (qualified on an M-14 and shot it well but did not like it much and then owned a late model Remington, terrible rifle, worst mechanical device I ever owned but I digress

Rifle builders, Want to build a precision rifle, go ahead, chamber it in 6.5 and .308, you’ll sell a bunch of them, but if you are serious, try a 6CM or maybe go wild with a 6BR. Go on, you can do it, it won’t hurt…
    Completely agree.The PRPs are going for like $1,500 in 308 and 6.5CM. plus thier are alot of barrel options for them. I don't see what they could possibly gain by doing this.

Also, agree with the chambering. Maybe provide like 5 different barrel options with the same bolt face, take the order, slap the barrel on and send it out.

Anderson is now also getting into the bolt action game. But they are putting trigger techs in their bolt actions, and it's a rem 700 footprint with a savage barrel nut, and they will probably be priced alot better than colts.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
    They were very nice rifles IMO. Smooth as they come ,very well made and very fancy ,the ones I’ve handled. The only thing Colt contributed was the the Colt prefix
    That was probably for the best lol. I still like the brand. I wonder who is in charge at Colt... whoever it is seems out of touch.

Wow this is a tough crowd. With a 6 lug bolt/60 degree throw and Flat bottom action I would have thought it had more going for it rather than being called a 700 clone or boring same old same old. Those are the features I've been on the hunt for a Badger Ordinance 2013 which are like hens teeth. Anyone got one out there?

Just food for thought but i built my second Kelbly Atlas tac rifle from parts all sourced from Hide members with the exception of the TT Special trigger for around $2000.
    Kelbly action, XLR carbon chassis, Schnider P5 24" 1-8 6.5x47 barrel.
    I would choose that route 1000 times again over some new unproven platform for roughly the same cost.

Wow this is a tough crowd. With a 6 lug bolt/60 degree throw and Flat bottom action I would have thought it had more going for it rather than being called a 700 clone or boring same old same old. Those are the features I've been on the hunt for a Badger Ordinance 2013 which are like hens teeth. Anyone got one out there?
    I'd go with a Kelbly black bear tactical. Flat bottom, but with a 90 degree throw.

I've looked at that one. It's an option for sure. I've been a toolmaker with my own shop for 30 years and there just is not a better way to mate to things together than flat surfaces and dowel pins and bolts. A lot more manufacturers are offering it these days.

Well if it is based on a CZ 600 action and the 6 lug bolt locks into the barrel rather than the action its off my list. I chamber all my own rifles and that makes things a lot more complicated. CZ and Nexus and some others have gone that way.