• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt le6920 OEM question

Colt baby. I've got a 6920 LE it's the one weapon I'd grab if the STHF. But I've had mine for years. The newer ones are not made by Colt. I think they're Chinese. But I'm not sure of that. Roll marks are important here. If it's stamped LE then it's an older one that was made by Colt. If it's stamped something else it's a newer one that not made by Colt.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Been eyeing The Colt le 6920 OEM 2 with no furniture.
I recently built a SHTF rifle and I thought, 2 is always better than one. I've never owned a Colt. Researching them for the past 2 weeks, all I'm finding is people talking about roll marks, and how they outsource parts.

I'm not really interested in a roll mark, or resale value, I've never sold a firearm, and never plan to. Are these new le6920 OEM2s something that you'd trust your life on? Are they still as reliable as the Colt of old? Just looking for some thoughts on them before I possibly scoop one up. Thanks!
I purchased an LE6920 OEM1 5 years ago and it was a good buy. I also have a S&W M&P 15 as well. Both are very good AR's. If you are just going to replace some of the parts, the OEM's are a good Buy for the name. I knew I was going to add my own For end, Stock and Grip so it made sense to get one, It was a purchase before Colt moved to CZ.

The new colt is no different than buying a PSA. Buy the PSA or a smith MP15.

Colt is just a name of something that used to be until CZ brings them back. No different then Remington in the past years

This is what I'm hearing, but no one seems to have any evidence to back it up. They say things like that, and the post stops there. Can you expound? Why are they "has been"? Not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why people are now bashing them? I know they stopped selling to the public for awhile and when that happened I was pissed and said I'd never buy one, but no one can even give me a straight answer on why they stopped selling to the public?
Colts are still good. The outsourcing parts thing is BS. Theyre as good theyve ever been, just now theyre under the CZ unbrella. Probably the best AR you can get at that price, you can guarantee youre getting what a standard Army private is issued. As good as DD, Geissele, etc? No, but then those are a solid step up in price.

Colt baby. I've got a 6920 LE it's the one weapon I'd grab if the STHF. But I've had mine for years. The newer ones are not made by Colt. I think they're Chinese. But I'm not sure of that. Roll marks are important here. If it's stamped LE then it's an older one that was made by Colt. If it's stamped something else it's a newer one that not made by Colt.

Union boys in Connecticut are almost Communists but that still does not make them Chinese.

Their holding company is based in Prague - again Europe is pretty leftwing - but still not China.

The new colt is no different than buying a PSA. Buy the PSA or a smith MP15.

Colt is just a name of something that used to be until CZ brings them back. No different then Remington in the past years
The new Colt is better than a PSA. Buy the Colt over the PSA or a smith MP15.

Colt is more than just a name of something that used to be until CZ brings them back.

Look I can say things that cite no sources either.

And before you call me a fanboy - see my earlier posts in this thread.

SH guys are funny. They will drop $5000 on an AI and $3500 on a ZCO and then pass on a $799 Colt because it’s “just a name”…then buy the $450 DIY kit from PSA and say it’s just as good as.

Not trying to be a douche, but do you have any proof you worked for Colt? Surely an old name badge? Gotta be honest, you sound rather disgruntled.

Dude what are you talking about? A Colt is a Colt. It's assembled at Colt and the older LE you have also have outsourced parts in it. I'm looking for factual information, and hopefully no one who is looking for the same information I am, stumbles upon this thread. Please show me where they are made by Chinese.

I had one Colt Ar in the past. Competition HBar Match. That rifle shot baseball size groups at 100 yds, regardless of the ammo I ran through it. It did run ok, but since I bought a “match” rifle to compete with, I was very disappointed with it. Sold it during one of the AR ban scares and made a few dollars on it. People get all hung up on the Colt brand, and I’m still not sure why. Too many better options out there.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
CZ now owns Colt, and "CZ Colt" is more trustworthy in my mind than "Colt Colt" in their final twelve years.

Buy one and enjoy.
The Colt AR-15 ,Armalite rifle name itself was owned by Colt from 1959 until the mid 2015's , their design patent expired in 1977 . They had military contracts , full squads outfitted with Colts, mainly the Marines until 2015. Colt focused on military contracts instead of civilian sales since around 1985.When their patent ran out and the military started using other manufacturers that has led to bankruptcy in the past and present. Colt stopped civilian sales several times from pressure by idiot advisers saying they would get sued and lose if someone used one in a mass shooting,etc. Remington got sued ,but decided to settle. They did not lose ,but was stupid in my opinion. So Colt quality. The modern rifle a civilian purchases is exactly the same the military uses except for the select fire control group and the extra hole for the sear. The guns just plain work . I have not even had a failure to eject in decades and I solely use reloads. The near bankruptcy Colts had some cosmetic flaws , trigger issues and that's about it. Colt has always outsourced some parts on the AR-15's so that isn't an issue if they are getting them from a good source and they are. The recent ones I've put my hands on have the cosmetic quality and no rattle when shook feel the guns always had. Shake your S&W m&p, it rattles the Colts don't. They are also full mil- spec design, thinner ,stream lined , light weight guns. My 6 are extremely accurate , 3-4 inch groups at 600 yards with handloads, 4-5 inch groups with quality military grade ammo.

Last edited:
I had one Colt Ar in the past. Competition HBar Match. That rifle shot baseball size groups at 100 yds, regardless of the ammo I ran through it. It did run ok, but since I bought a “match” rifle to compete with, I was very disappointed with it. Sold it during one of the AR ban scares and made a few dollars on it. People get all hung up on the Colt brand, and I’m still not sure why. Too many better options out there.
I have one and it shoots bugholes with my handloads.

I recently built a SHTF rifle and I thought, 2 is always better than one. I've never owned a Colt. Researching them for the past 2 weeks, all I'm finding is people talking about roll marks, and how they outsource parts.

I'm not really interested in a roll mark, or resale value, I've never sold a firearm, and never plan to. Are these new le6920 OEM2s something that you'd trust your life on? Are they still as reliable as the Colt of old? Just looking for some thoughts on them before I possibly scoop one up. Thanks!
Mixed brass and Lapua brass for my really accurate loads, Hodgdon Varget or VV n540-24 gr., Hornady 75 grain hpbt match, Berger 77gr tac, Sierra 77gr MK , CCI primer. They all shoot the nearly the same- Berger is the most accurate,all of them shoot excellent in 6 different Colt rifles

non colt made parts, poor QC & non spec parts from springs to bolts, colt has, since loosing the TDP, began outsourcing LOTS of parts. many are substandard. I have all but stopped working on colts, NO PSA. my go to are Geselle, & DD using precision gauges, I have found a lot of out of spec problems in colts.
Lol. Anything else you want to make up like the moon landing was in a warehouse studio too?

• Haha
This is what I'm hearing, but no one seems to have any evidence to back it up. They say things like that, and the post stops there. Can you expound? Why are they "has been"? Not trying to be a douche, I'm just trying to understand why people are now bashing them? I know they stopped selling to the public for awhile and when that happened I was pissed and said I'd never buy one, but no one can even give me a straight answer on why they stopped selling to the public?
Well Colt is now CZ USA....and as far as bashing ..never...I think there are better built rifles available some pricier and some not.. lay hands on a Stag or Spikes Tactical, I think building your own and knowing every part in your firearm the best way to go

I recently bought two OEM-1s for $735/each. The only difference between them and the LE6920 I bought in 2012 are the serial numbers. All of them are labeled "Colt Defense" and "M4 Carbine". All three shoot equally well. The OEM-1 rifles' serial numbers begin with "CR" rather than "LE". If this is a problem, by all means, don't buy one. If you want a good value rifle, I recommend the OEM-1 and OEM-2.

I picked up a couple Magpul furniture kits from a local pawn shop for $60/each. So, for $800, I have a rifle that sells for $1199 MSRP.

Below are 100-yard shots on a B-27E target comparing my reloads with 62 gr FMJBT bullets over 23.75 gr Hodgdon BL-C(2) vs M193 and M855. The second photo is the scoring diagram. My friends and I will sometimes compete to determine who buys lunch by shooting the "little man".
EBR 15.jpg

EBR 16.jpg

Last edited:
They’re still the same Colt, just the roll marks are different. The CR6920 is just as legit as the LE.

Well Colt is now CZ USA....and as far as bashing ..never...I think there are better built rifles available some pricier and some not.. lay hands on a Stag or Spikes Tactical, I think building your own and knowing every part in your firearm the best way to go
I have a stag varminter that is a laser. I usually build all my ARs, starting with a stripped lower, but I'm in NY and those days (for now) are over. Cant even get a completed lower to my FFL. They won't accept them. It has to be an entire rifle. And come September 5tg you'll need a permit, which I'm not doing. Shit is so messed up, up here.

What's interesting for the Daniel defense comparison is the guy who runs battlefield Vegas machine gun range said repeatedly in his ar15 thread that the colt 6920s actually lasted longer than the Daniel defense and lmt ARs, mostly relating to the bolts going longer before breaking. All three ran well, but the colt rifles lasted the longest before bolts broke.

Sure, a couple dozen or however many rifles could be a fluke or not statistically meaningful, but it is interesting for being an insane round count source that is not run and controlled by the government.

He does not appear to be biased either, and seemed surprised at some of the stuff he witnessed like AKs failing at a way higher rate than he previously thought. I don't think he expected the colts to last the longest of the ar15 rifles, either.

• Wow
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Yes, the scar 16 lasted the longest without needing to replace any parts for 556 rifles as far as I remember. It also came with the caveat that no optics were being used and it was firing on full auto at very close range mostly to people who had never even shot a gun before. Recoil characteristics and ergonomics were not factors at all.

It actually makes sense because on paper the scar 16 had a lot of minor upgrades and improvements engineered over the ar15. I remember hootiewho did a detailed thread going over these improvements using thermal temp testing equipment.

The real world showed that it wasn't anywhere close to cost efficient for the design changes, and it was far cheaper to just swap in a new bolt every once in a while in an m4/ar15. This isn't even getting until ergos and the recoil differences, the open source nature of hundreds of companies making accesories and parts for the ar15, etc. I don't believe battlefield Vegas ever tested any ARs with an enhanced bolt to compare like the kac sr15 or lmt enhanced bolt either, which would have been interesting.

What's interesting for the Daniel defense comparison is the guy who runs battlefield Vegas machine gun range said repeatedly in his ar15 thread that the colt 6920s actually lasted longer than the Daniel defense and lmt ARs, mostly relating to the bolts going longer before breaking. All three ran well, but the colt rifles lasted the longest before bolts broke.

Sure, a couple dozen or however many rifles could be a fluke or not statistically meaningful, but it is interesting for being an insane round count source that is not run and controlled by the government.

He does not appear to be biased either, and seemed surprised at some of the stuff he witnessed like AKs failing at a way higher rate than he previously thought. I don't think he expected the colts to last the longest of the ar15 rifles, either.
I think he said he doesn't have many LMTs or rather only early ones that he had personally and that they buy Colts, PSA, etc due to cost. But you are right, he said the Colts hold amazingly well

DD is amazing to me that people will still buy that overpriced garbage and especially after coming out in support of universal background checks. Cucks gonna cuck!

Every significant manufacturer in the US outsources production of some of the components, designed by them, that end up in their products.

It's an entirely legitimate and widely used approach to manufacturing over the last 30 years over a wide range of industries and in no way indicates lesser quality. The people who claim so are morons which, when pressed, have zero manufacturing and/or business experience either at the OEM level or at the subcontractor level.

I have 25+ years of experience at both levels in manufacturing engineering, quality engineering, sales, project management, and program management. So I have at least a clue on the subject.

non colt made parts, poor QC & non spec parts from springs to bolts, colt has, since loosing the TDP, began outsourcing LOTS of parts. many are substandard. I have all but stopped working on colts, NO PSA. my go to are Geselle, & DD using precision gauges, I have found a lot of out of spec problems in colts.
LOL

The guns are 100% the same as the LE6920, with different cosmetic markings on the port side magwell. No difference in receivers, lower parts, barrel, BCG, buffer tube, stock, flash hider. It's Colt, rarely are 2 alike. No guarantees on markings unless photo verification or holding in your hands.

You could always go whole hog and grab up a Haenel like I did. Beat the HK 416A5 in the German service rifle trials and you know Germany loves their HK shit so there had to be something going on there for it to win. Designed by the same dude who made the 416 too. And unlike the MR556, they come in as pistols so no 922R.... its all German everything. Same barrel, bolt, etc same everything the Bundeswehr will be getting if/when they get done with all the legal BS(HK sued Haenel for patent infringement or something like that after Germany awarded the contract to Haenel and now the whole things in limbo). This things legit bro.

With that said my next rifle is gonna be a M4A1 Blk II w/ LPVO recce style build.

Attachments

• 2F257540-72FF-4773-9D72-259BEA0807DD.jpeg
    2F257540-72FF-4773-9D72-259BEA0807DD.jpeg
    519.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 354A550A-3D7F-4DA8-BBFB-110B547C01AC (1).jpeg
    354A550A-3D7F-4DA8-BBFB-110B547C01AC (1).jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 55
The guns are 100% the same as the LE6920, with different cosmetic markings on the port side magwell. No difference in receivers, lower parts, barrel, BCG, buffer tube, stock, flash hider. It's Colt, rarely are 2 alike. No guarantees on markings unless photo verification or holding in your hands.

This is my understanding and will remain so until proven otherwise.

Someone posting “New Colt 6920s are Chinese” is not enough to prove otherwise.

All I run is Colts and have had zero issues from multiple different rifles for decades. Excellent accuracy and rock solid reliability. Do beware of some models sold in the early prefix CE near the bankruptcy. CZ did recall all models effected. The newest guns coming out look and feel Colt quality.
Hmm, do you have a page that lists S/Ns affected?
Though mine is CR S/N, I will have to search...