• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt SP901

ESSAYONS

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I was tracking these last fall in hopes of getting one-but they were unavailable. I noticed the last post on the hide was in March.

I now see them advertised in a couple of gun magazines.

Does anyone own one of these- if so can you provide some info on performance and accuracy?

Signed-
Colt Loyalist

Re: Colt SP901

These are still unavailable, they aren't on store shelves yet.

These have been incredibly anticipated, and the first shipments are tracked for LE direct sales.

I know of 1 PD that already has an order in.

Eng07,

Don't own one, yet, but did have one at my disposal for about a week last month. Had it out for an article or two and spent a fair bit of time behind it over that stretch of time.

The one I had was a CM901 that was safe-semi-full, and it was an accurate weapon out of the box. Shooting Black Hills 175's the groups at 100 were 0.5, with a little below and a little above, but a solid shooter. Took it through a two day course and scored second round hits at 900 and 1,000 with the instructor calling for me.

Would I change a few things, sure, did I like it overall, yes. If it comes in at the price that Colt is quoting I think it will be a good deal for most.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but there is more coming out in two articles I am writing on the system and I don't want to give it all up at this time.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

FourNineThree-

Thanks for the update. I have to ask- why is Colt so heavy on the advertisement campaign when they are not readily available? Kind of a tease in a way. Maybe they should run an add saying available at X date or something. Not sure I have ever seen a marketing plan quite like this one.

I look forward to your article!

Eng07

they've been on their site for a while now. i havent seen new pictures for the 5.56mm upper that would look to be a fitting swap on it. The upper for the sp6901 looks like it has a different contour near the retaining pin (sort of triangular shape with corresponding mirrored contour on the lower.

I can't believe they didnt go to piston on these.

How do I get your job? That sounds like a dream come true. Reviewing automatic weapons? Sploosh.

I find it interesting that FN has the current military contract versus Colt. Any reasoning behind that other than bidding?

I loved my old colt A2 when I was "in" but didn't see much difference when FN put out the A4. Did I miss something?

Eng07,

I shake my head a lot when it comes to Colt and items either offered, produced or when production runs might occur. I've come to learn that "it's just Colt" and that seems to be the way it is with them, I wish it would change.

Maelek,
The engineers figured out a way to make it all work with different caliber uppers, think of it like an addition to your current Colt upper that will make it fit and function. As for piston, not going to get into the rhetoric behind piston/versus gas, but gas seems to work with this system.

Luv,
FN has a contract for a certain weapon system. There are many different contracts that a few different companies/manufacturers have with the DOD. When an RFP comes out it can be a bidding war, then weapons are supplied for testing and the field draws shorter. All depends on a number of different variables. Rest assured that they all build off of a Technical Data Package (TDP) that is very rigid and states what materials and specs are to be met (Mil Spec) and how those items are to be manufactured (Mil Standard).

Hope this helps.

Be safe,
FourNineThree