• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Colt suspending production... A big FU to Colt!

There are more levels to this than your assessment that it is from political pressure.
Regardless we already have at least two active threads about this and probably don’t need a third.

Last edited:
Reactions: b6graham
Could be political. Could be that a notoriously poorly managed company is unable to compete with a mediocre product in a saturated market- even if it the most popular rifle "platform" in the US.

Don't spread fake news.

Colt has already said that they plan to resume production for the civilian market as soon as they've caught up with their mil-contract obligations.

One thing this announcement has done in the short term is help lots of LGS and distributor reps sell Colt rifles...

There are other large weapon companies that have already gone this path but have not announced publicly.
The average commercial market is happy with $350 AR15s and the average consumer doesn't feel the need for a $1200 plus AR rifle these days.

Reactions: IW21
I think the profit margin in reality budgets don't cut it for a colt anymore..
Mil and le procurement are a seprate issue not to be confused with price and performance expectations.

As prices adjust they will make them available to the full market , at this time they are
Not a best choice for the majority of shooters.

Colt fanboys will piss themselves jumping on this post
but most of you can relate to reality.

Price versus performance will always overcome for the majority.

Wait, wait for it, takes a while to list all the no body cares credentials before going on a foaming at the mouth rant why this is not true.

1, 2, 3, go !

Lol

Reactions: silentheart
Colt = $999 MSRP rack grade carbine, PSA = $450 rack grade carbine or $299 and you add and assemble the lower receiver.

The funniest part is this hit the news a couple days ago but didn't blow up until the major media picked it up.

Lol@ Colt carbines = PSA carbines

While the majority of their carbines are 6920’s with carbine gas, you don’t see every gun forum flooded with “My 6920 don’t run” threads.

Most of the people saying “FU Colt” are too cheap to buy one and will continue trying to figure out why their “Just as good as” rifle doesn’t work.

Colt, FN, HK, KAC, & LMT win Mil contracts for a reason, their shit works..... When PSA wins a first world army contract competition, let us know.

Last edited:
Colt = $999 MSRP rack grade carbine, PSA = $450 rack grade carbine or $299 and you add and assemble the lower receiver.

The funniest part is this hit the news a couple days ago but didn't blow up until the major media picked it up.
The funny thing about PSA (or anyone else for that matter) is that I have to believe that labor costs are about the same to install parts in lowers and complete the build as it is to individually package parts to customers so that they can “build” their own lowers.

While the majority of their carbines are 6920’s with carbine gas, you don’t see every gun forum flooded with “My 6920 don’t run” threads.

Most of the people saying “FU Colt” are too cheap to buy one and will continue trying to figure out why their “Just as good as” rifle doesn’t work.

Colt, FN, HK, KAC, & LMT win Mil contracts for a reason, their shit works..... When PSA wins a first world army contract competition, let us know.
Well said sir.
Still not in the colt camp for the economics but very good argument.

Reactions: Jsp556

[/QUOTE]

^^^This^^^

AvsFan(y)

Reactions: Jsp556

Well said.

PSA doesnt spend the money for TOP 3-2-045, MIL_STD 810 or HP white lab testing certifications, every above mentioned company does.

Didn't Walmart sell a lot of the 6920s? Wonder if there's a connection (beyond saturated market)?

IMO colt can’t compete. They only had market share for so long due to lack of competition. They never seemed to progress, and thought they could win using the same formula with the aid of the colt name.

Last edited:
The mass media is loving this one, my GF yesterday mentioned it to me that people were talking at work that the company that made the assault rifle used in more mass shootings than any other gun is being cancelled by the company making it. Ridiculous and wrong on several counts, but that's what the media pushes and non-gun people hear. Unfortunately these days the truth is pretty irrelevant, it's what the sheep get shoveled 24/7 by the mass media.

Could be a lot of things, there's no denying that gun sales have tanked since Trump took over, and that the AR15 market was super saturated. Also, Colt simply does not carry the reputation they used to. Maybe it's marketing, etc. but I can't think of one interesting gun I've seen them release in the last few years. Perhaps the revival of their revolvers, but those are tiny market share to start. So the average guy is probably not going into gun stores seeking out Colt, and most of them are probably happy to buy a $500 AR, rather than a $1000+ Colt. Mind you none of that has anything to do with the quality of Colt which seems pretty good.

Plus frankly "gun sales" aren't always good, look at what Cohen did to Kimber and now Sig. Lots of sales and marketing hype but quality control issues and problems with new release after new release. But if you offer the military handguns for $207 a pop you get military contracts. Good for investors, but not customers.

It is alarming that so many big gun companies now that have significant ownership by investment groups, that already have proven themselves pretty anti-gun, or at least very open to anti-gun measures.

If you really want to go down the conspiracy rabbit hole, perhaps Colt will go the way of Ruger, who used to only make "assault weapons" for the LE/MIL market, and were the driving force behind the 94' AWB partly because they were losing market share and wanted to hurt the competitors in an area they didn't have any offerings in.

Fuck colt and yes they are suspending civilian sales of ar's. I dont nessisary hate colt but I dam sure dont think they offer a special product either. I work on guns for a living and cults are no better than a lot of others. That's the truth even if you dont believe or like it.

Now is the time to sell you colt rifles. Let the suckers pay up while you can.
ESP considering ar are dirt cheap right now and hard to sell

Colt is a known quantity. That’s a good thing.

That said I’m probably going to sell my unfired CM762 if prices keep going up.

Unfortunately, Colt quality is no longer what it used to be. I would rather buy an FN, LMT or LaRue

Reactions: Seymour Fish
I don’t doubt, but none of those companies make a short frame 7.62.

I buy only top shelf. What good is a short frame 7.62 that's not top quality? Zev does, by the way. Not sure of their durability though.

The Zev is vaporware. I have or have had multiples of STI, AI, KAC rifles. My interest in the Colt is for proof of concept. Ideally I’d like to see a short frame SR-25.

I first saw this spread as a pause because they had upcoming contract obligations and six months of inventory in distribution. The original email that came from RSR was very poorly written and unprofessional and should have been your first clue. It read like it came from a sales rep rather than a buyer so they had a 6th hand account of what was going on at best. Things should be back to normal in half a year when Colt’s entire production capacity isn’t being absorbed by contact orders.

Someone else wrote this and it is a good play by play so I am stealing it:

Here’s the break down:

Colt sees a saturated AR market and chooses to downsize work force.

Colt has new contracts to fill with worth $130 million +. Colt sees this as a temporary boom and chooses not to hire extra labor and chooses to shut down the commercial production and use more of their labor to fulfill contractual obligation.

A vendor calls Colt for a large order. Colt gives the vendor a clue. Colt lets the rest of the big vendors in on clue.

Vendor leaks info out to gun gossip page.

Gossip page ruins the internet.

Colt has to answer customer because social media.

News media sees this as something they can twist into supporting their narrative.

Idiots on the internet believe media narrative.

Internet people come to this thread and bash Colt.

/thread.

FWIW I think the Colt LE901-16SE was a better rifle in its niche then what many people consider top tier guns. It’s biggest shortfall was the marketing behind it and a company that didn’t know what it had and how to support it.

I believe armsUnlimited said that guns should start shipping again in about half a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie

Okay, $990 rack grade M4 look alike or $1375 .75 MOA Rock River, bottom line Colt is over priced and average quality. When Colt sold 1911's they were the top price for medium quality, when Colt was selling Single Action Army revolvers they wanted more for reproductions than originals.

Okay, $990 rack grade M4 look alike or $1375 .75 MOA Rock River, bottom line Colt is over priced and average quality. When Colt sold 1911's they were the top price for medium quality, when Colt was selling Single Action Army revolvers they wanted more for reproductions than originals.

Lol. Are you saying RRA is better than Colt? Comparing a CL barrel to a stainless? Let’s just compare Receiver extensions. Colt uses 7075, RRA uses what, 6061? The 7075 is significantly stronger. Barrel steel? Colt uses 4150 CMV, what’s RRA use, 4140? Staking of carrier keys and castle nuts? Quality of the lower parts kits?

Here’s the nuts and bolts, rifle companies that can’t win mil contracts will never have to choose between gov and civilian sales. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: R Moran
I love this marketing strategy.

Create a demand by telling people that they won't be able to get anymore so everyone goes out of their minds buying. Also add this is what LEO and MIL uses so the 5.11 tacticool guys have to have.

Keep slipping inventory into the market since they are flying off the shelves.

Cue the ebay guys saying "last batch", "Pre-Ban" or "historical" and tripling the price.

Then when you reintroduce them give a $50 upgrade and charge 50% more.

Sometimes I almost fall for it too. When I read the article my first thought was geeze I don't have a colt ar in my safe. Then I remembered why.........

Reactions: 10ring1
BCM is still available. Problem solved.

BCM makes nothing. they are a parts assembly company and you get what you pay for.
Colt is a shit commercial arms company but they are a pretty good .Mil supplier/manufacturer and Colt Canada is top quality.

The fact that Canadians get top quality Colt stuff but we can’t should have resulted in a war in the north years ago.

I would love an L119A2.

BCM makes nothing. they are a parts assembly company and you get what you pay for.
Colt is a shit commercial arms company but they are a pretty good .Mil supplier/manufacturer and Colt Canada is top quality.
And what you get is superior to most being made today and the equal of anything. You must not have much experience with them.

I'd put only KAC above them.

Reactions: Tonsofguns
And what you get is superior to most being made today and the equal of anything. You must not have much experience with them.

I'd put only KAC above them.

Superior to what? They buy parts from one of a dozens suppliers and assemble it.
You dont know what the fuck you're even talking about much less done actual weapons destruction testings.
KAC makes great guns and parts and spends hundreds of thousands of dollars doing testing like the other .MIl contractors.
You dont put BCM and KAC in the same sentence.
Whats worse than a KAC or Colt fanboy is a fucking BCM or PSA fanboy.

Ok big shot you know it all.
Except your ass from a hole in the ground.

I've owned and run most of these hard over years.

And I'll take the advice of folks like Vickers and other BTDT types over internet commandos like you.

And you're the expert on what? Spikes? Olympic or Bushmaster?

GTFO here with your ignorant shit.

You never said what you are a fanboy of. I'm guessing arf.com because that's the same retarded shit one will find there.

Last edited:
Awww arent you precious... I dont have an account there but im willing to bet you do.
Considering Im been to every factory that has .MIL weapon contracts including the one in Orbendorf and Herstal on many occasions I tend to collect ones I spec and see how they are made and what materials they are made from.

So take your fucking little overpriced rack grade 1500 dollar BCM with its cheap button barrel and go " Run it hard" with your other little BCM fagboys.

Ooh. You sure told me big boi. I submit to your obviously superior knowledge.

You still have not said what you use. And BTW, I don't "run" BCM's. I have one (of three I have had) but is not my go to. I don't base my opinion on parts I finger fucked. I use my rifles like you pick your ass and smell your finger.
So let's take a look at a partial list of names that endorse BCM and use their rifles:

Pat Rogers (RIP)
Larry Vickers
Pat MacNamara
John Chapman
Travis Haley

What's your superior qualification?
Have you ever even fired a rifle in combat?
(I have- in fact, next to two of those names on that list)

Dipshit.

I've never owned a Colt gun but my AR has Colt bitz in it, I expect, since it uses USGI guts and furniture. Receivers are NoDak Spud 'cause I wanted something specifically pre-A1, barrels are Brownell's. Mags are Vietnam-era Colt, though. Works just fine for my needs. Not the finest example of an AR but not the worst either. Does exactly what it was meant to do: Replicate a vintage XM16E1.

Reactions: Zeroit
Colt made a very good civilian weapon especially for the price. When an LE6940 was available for less than $700, I would argue that was the best value going.
Put a Colt Socom barrel on it and you have a real shooter.

Nice pissing contest. Colt has manufactured rifles and pistols over the years longer than I have been around. Some great some not so. As far as the battlefield quality rifles there's a huge difference between the 499.00 and say a le6920 that said which one would prefer to have in the hands of a combat soldier? My sons were raised with firearms could field strip an ar at a very young age. One has had multiple combat deployments to. He was issued a Fn Ok it works. Basic quality for military I don't like the triggers but they (the Gov) are not going to spend the extra 10 dollars . My Ar's are a lot more expensive and too heavy for that. The best revolver I ever shot (not a wheel gun guy was a colt. My wife (certified pistol instructor) bought a new colt junk right out of the box back to colt 3 times they finally sent a new one. My. 02

Well to get back to cilvility Ill list the ones I like and feel are superior to (US) Colt rifles.
HK 416, LWRC, LMT and KAC. not necessarliy in that order but the HK416 is up there.

@Soulezoo
My former associate also served with two of the names up there and if you're in In DC for the show next month Id like to buy you a beer.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Of the 4 you mentioned above, I have owned the LMT and still have a KAC. No experience on the other two.
In my opinion, the LMT was favorably matched with Noveske (still have 3 of those) with KAC only very slightly better in just certain areas (due to proprietary innovations) and that is a subjective opinion. A select fire Noveske Reece with chf is my favorite. Only slightly less accurate (.2" @ 100 yds 10 shot group difference) than KAC or BCM and I feel is more reliable with high rate of fire (by my definition, 3 mag dumps in 2 minutes).

Whew! Glad I’m not a Colt, or KAC fan boy. Lol

Kyle Defoor is in the BCM cult as well.

Reactions: Spblademaker