• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Compact Gas Gun Optic 1500 or less

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, I’m pretty sure I know the answer, but never know what great idea someone may have that I haven’t thought about.

I qualify for Leupold LE pricing, so.....

For under 1500 is there anything out there that can compete with the Mark 5 3.6-18??

I’m looking for max power around 16-18, and a minimum of 4 power or less. 1500 or less. And also looking for 13” (ish) or less in length.

Please no atacr 4-16 suggestions. Strictly staying lower budget due to Leupold pricing.

Thanks!

Bushnell DMR 2 or HDMR 2 would be close to your standards. But it’s a little long at 13.2 inches. The Mark 5 is hard to beat especially at the price point IMO. Pick the reticle you like the best and drive on.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    I’ll check them out. The one think about the luepy, not crazy about the reticle choices.

13.2 isn’t too bad.

Thanks!

I'm not sure about size but Tract FFP 4-20x50 30mm tube hits on the price and Schott high transmission ED glass, zero stop, Mil-Mil, illuminated reticle and turrets that lock until you pull out the caps, it has a nice feature set.

It seems to be compared with Athlon Chronos, Vortex Razor HD and some other scopes significantly more expensive than the Tract.

I believe it is made in Japan at LOW, the same company that makes Athlon Chronos, Vortex Razor HD, Night Force and most of the other high end Japanese scopes.

On the down side it looks a bit heavy.

I was in the same situation and ended up with the dmr2. Great scope. I am selling mine now actually cause I just upgraded to the MK5 solely to drop a few OZ's since its a backpacking rifle. Your right about the reticles, the g3 is much better imo than the tmr or cch reticle, so I am hoping I get accustomed to the cch and end up as happy with it as I am/was with the dmr2.

There isn't much in the same weight range as the Mark 5.

Among the lower priced scopes, SWFA SS 3-15x42FFP is under 14" and surprisingly competent, but isn't as feature rich. It is pretty light though. Vortex PST Gen 2 3-15x44 is a bit longer and heavier, but very nice for the money.

Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18x44 is a bit longer at around 14", but only a couple of ounces heavier. DMR II is definitely shorter, but heavier by half a pound or so. If you can live with lower magnificaiton, the 3-12x44 LRTSi is right around 13" in length.

Lastly, I do not know if you can find it for $1500, but Sig Tango6 3-18x44 is pretty short, although heavy.

ILya

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...2-3-18x44-dev-l-reticle.6882700/#post-7022901

This is in the classifieds, Its not my listing for the record. The DEV-L reticle is excellent IMO. It is a heavier option though.

I had a Mark 5 3.6-18 and I sold it due to the TMR reticle not meeting my needs. For a hunting optic it was excellent for a competition reticle I found it lacking. I will probably get one with a CCH at some point in the future. They are great little scopes though.

With that said the Bushnell G2 and G3 reticles are my current favorite. Good luck.

Personally I like the vortex viper pst front focal plane. Gen 1 is substantially lighter then the gen 2 but both great choices. Gen 1 is a 6-24 the second is 5-25. For my closer work I chose the Trijicon Accupower 1-8 segmented circle. I love this reticle in front focal plane.

In the lower price range, I really like the SHV 4-14 F1. You give up some size and weight, but I trust it more than anything else that is close in price. Mine seems every bit as good as my ATACR's, minus the obvious difference in the glass. Obvious, but not bad at all. The SHV has really good glass.

I've had an Atacr and a buddy has SHV. It's a good optic but from my experience, it's not even on the same planet as the ATACR. He has the larger magnification, so that might distort my experience.

I've had an Atacr and a buddy has SHV. It's a good optic but from my experience, it's not even on the same planet as the ATACR. He has the larger magnification, so that might distort my experience.
    I think I was not clear. I have two ATACR's, different models, and they are the top of the line in scopes in my opinion. The SHV is a low priced option, but it is mechanically trustworthy and has nice glass as well. The ATACR is a professional grade scope, the SHV is a sporting grade scope, but the F1 in particular, is much closer to pro than not.

For $1500? No i don't think there is anything out that can fit the physical dimensions of the Mark 5 at that level of quality and price. Only issue as noted is reticle selection, Leupold's is rather limited. I swear it can't be that hard to design a TMR-C without infringing on an existing design. I hear rumor of another reticle in the works but it must've been just that. I'd go tremor 3 if i had to pick, holds more usefulness than the TMR and is much less cluttered than the H59

Sticking to Leupold pricing really isn't a good excuse to ignore a great option in the NF 4-16. It really is perfect for a gas gun.

It's literally almost a $1000 dollar difference for nowhere near the drop off in performance that the price discrepancy would have you believe. Not to mention more compact and lighter. The NF is a great scope minus their reticles (no Mil-C in the 4-16 F1) but it doesn't really come close to the value per dollar the MK5 brings to the table.

Reactions: Bender
    It's literally almost a $1000 dollar difference for nowhere near the drop off in performance that the price discrepancy would have you believe. Not to mention more compact and lighter. The NF is a great scope minus their reticles (no Mil-C in the 4-16 F1) but it doesn't really come close to the value per dollar the MK5 brings to the table.
    I have to disagree there. First, the Mil-C is available in the 4-16 ATACR, if that's what we're talking about. Second, I find the mechanical reliability of the NF to fairly dramatically exceed Leupold's, and that gives me confidence that my Leupold's just don't. As with everything in this field, the difference in price is very quickly made up at $1 a shot minimum, and how many shots do you want to miss, not knowing if it was you, your dope, the wind, your gun, your scope, etc.

All comes down to what you are comfortable with, like most things.

Sticking to Leupold pricing really isn't a good excuse to ignore a great option in the NF 4-16. It really is perfect for a gas gun.

It's absolutely a good "excuse."

It's not going to get used enough to warrant the extra pricing.

I've owned a 4-16 atacr and while its a great optic......I can use the 800-1000 price difference on ammo.

It's literally almost a $1000 dollar difference for nowhere near the drop off in performance that the price discrepancy would have you believe.

I can use the 800-1000 price difference on ammo.

$1000!? I picked my 4-16 up for $1800 shipped, the OP hints at getting a Mk5 for $1500. I have not looked at a Mk5 3-18 in person, but I would gladly wait another couple weeks to throw $300-$400 more down on a scope with a better reputation.

The Mk5 might end up being one of their best optics ever, but I will let others test that one after being bit by two Mk4s.

Now the "get used enough" part makes a helluva lot more sense. lol

Where are you getting new atacr 4-16 F1 shipped for 1800?

I didn't "hint" at anything. I asked for something under 1500.

How about quit shitting on my thread when I specifically asked people to stay away from the 4-16. I've owned one and well aware of their worth, which is also why I asked for this not to turn into an atacr thread. There is no point for me to read a hundred reviews of the atacr when I have first hand experience with it.

Reactions: SRPowah
    I apologize if that came off a bit rude. Just trying to avoid turning this into another atacr or bust rawwwrrrr thread.

You are using a lot of magnification for a "compact gas gun." Mid sized scope, high mag, mid market quality , sets you up for compromise.

"Compact Gas Gun Optic," not "Compact Gas Gun."

This is an SPR/DMR rifle.

I have to disagree there. First, the Mil-C is available in the 4-16 ATACR, if that's what we're talking about. Second, I find the mechanical reliability of the NF to fairly dramatically exceed Leupold's, and that gives me confidence that my Leupold's just don't. As with everything in this field, the difference in price is very quickly made up at $1 a shot minimum, and how many shots do you want to miss, not knowing if it was you, your dope, the wind, your gun, your scope, etc.

All comes down to what you are comfortable with, like most things.

I stand corrected they added it. I didn’t see it when i checked.

Have you used a mark 5 to write it off as being mechanically unreliable? If this was a mark 6 I’d have no problem agreeing with you but the mark 5 have has been nothing short of a successful launch. Writing it off on the basis of the companies past optics is not really fair to the mark 5. Id go so far to say it’s the best optic leupold has designed. Granted i could eat my words, but i've not seen any issues with them yet outside of one have some slight reticle cant. Mine was fine and we've got 12 pages or so of users here that haven't experienced any problems.

That’s somewhat beyond the point though as the OP mentioned he specifically isn’t looking at that optic on price alone. And having used a Mk5 it doesn’t give up much to the atacr. Contrast, turrets, and eyebox. That’s it. On a constrained budget considering weight reduction hardly worth the extra $1000 premium it would command.

Last edited:
    Unless anyone has any other optics to add to the list, it seems like it would be narrowed down to:

Leupold mark 5
    Bushnell DMR II
    Bushnell LRTSI

and possibly SHV F1

I can speak to two LRHS and one LRTSi, all on either 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 Creed AR’s. Very good glass and clarity, easy dial parallax, G3 reticle good, but crosshair could be a bit thinner. Make sure turrets are 100 spline, not older 50 spline-which only allowed .2 mil move when setting zero. New caps GTG. Near perfect on AR with above very minor details.

Call me crazy but not long ago I had several 4-16 ATACR’s in my arsenal, I currently only have one sample of the MK5 but I wouldn’t trade it for an ATACR and I plan on buying more MK5’s.

NF lost my business due to the issues with the cheap plastic tenebraex rings cracking which is really the only good option for covers because of the rotating ocular, and a warranty issue on another optic which they pretty much told me to kick rocks.

Call me crazy but not long ago I had several 4-16 ATACR’s in my arsenal, I currently only have one sample of the MK5 but I wouldn’t trade it for an ATACR and I plan on buying more MK5’s.

NF lost my business due to the issues with the cheap plastic tenebraex rings cracking which is really the only good option for covers because of the rotating ocular, and a warranty issue on another optic which they pretty much told me to kick rocks.

Crazy.

Where can I find a higher quality scope cap than Tenebraex?

I use a Larue cantilever riser and then regular spuhr mounts.

Then if I decide to run it on my bolt gun, no need to try to get the right eye relief with a cantilever.

AAD Mount is supposed to be good.

AADmount is very good, and clearance should be good if through 50mm objective and 20MOA cant. Cannot speak to 56mm, but that not a likely direction with short and light.

I just got off the phone with Badger and they said the 35mm mounts (306-160) are currently in production and should be a only couple weeks out. You'll have to have a dealer place an order though.

For those interested, here's the link to the 35mm Badger Ordnance cantilevered mount at Euro Optic. You can backorder through the website or by calling Jason.

Badger Ordnance 35mm 1 Piece Unimount Ultra High Zero cant Aluminum 306-160

I confirmed with Badger who said they're in production and will be available in two weeks. Allowing them a little extra time and to ship out to dealers a month would be a conservative estimation.

These are 1.50" height which is ideal for gas guns and rifles with continuous rails and those who wish to run night vision and/or thermal clip on devices in conjunction. I also measured and confirmed that the ring spacing is adequate for the MK5 models.

Yep, and zero cant is not an issue for an optic with 30 mils of elevation travel... Well, at least for 99.9% of us shooters.

Yep, and zero cant is not an issue for an optic with 30 mils of elevation travel... Well, at least for 99.9% of us shooters.

Yep, I think they have more than that too. I’ve got 17+ mils left on mine in a 0MOA Spuhr on a AR15 receiver. More than plenty.