• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comparing Optics Quality at 20x, 1760 to 2000 yds

Butleroutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Good Evening:
Getting closer to selecting replacement scope for PST G2 5x25 and narrowed down selection to:

Mark 5HD 5x25
Cronus G2 4.5x29
XTR3 5.5x30
Toric 4.5x30
T5xi 5x25

Out of this list, how would you order these on a composite optic quality/clarity/brightness at 20x shooting 1 mile to 2000 yards (my PST G2 struggled optics wise to do a mile shot)?

Realize lots of variation, but want to zero down on quality at 20x and mile to 2000.

Thank you in advance

The XTR III 5.5-30 is going to have the widest FOV of all these scopes. Glass is going to be subjective, but my XTR III punches well above its price with regard to optical quality. I did not like the SCR2 reticle in the 3.3-18 (too thin) but I like it a lot in the 5.5-30. At 20x the resolution is superb, I haven’t put it up next to my Tangent but now I think I will just for kicks to see how well it compares.

Reactions: Chickentoast
Upside, yes I keep hearing the MK5 is quite the glass. I have been looking at one at Cabelas but don’t have the others to compare to. It’s definitely on the short list.

I have the Cronus G1 and Tract ELR. At 20X there is little optical difference between them. The Tract gets slightly better at 25X+. It's hard to touch a Cronus if you look at cost.

Mark 5 or XTRiii from that list. I like the 3.3-18 with the SCR. I like the 5.5-30 with the SCR. The TX5i is more in the league of the the DMRII.

I would scratch the TX5 and Toric and replace them on that list with the Sig Tango 6 or GenII Razor. Pretty tough to choose one out of the group as a clear winner. I would tend to put the Cronus more toward the bottom of the list, and the Razor more toward the top. But everyone is going to shuffle them differently.

XTR3 without a doubt, objectively due mostly to FOV, and subjectively, I happen to love the thin reticle in the SCR2, especially at very long ranges. Mk5HD has more contrast and is not as bright, but a lot tighter viewing screen. Cronus might be brighter than XTR3, but it has been a while. All 3 very close in terms of total optical quality, but that FOV is the biggest differentiating factor, and contributes a lot to (re)acquisition.

^Buddy had one, but I wasn't able to side by side with my XTR3. I did side by side with my Trijicon/Delta clone, and the Trijicon had better clarity and better contrast by a hair, same brightness. Trijicon is brighter than the XTR3, hence the transitive property...

Completely anecdotal, and subjective to my eye...

A couple years ago, I was in the market for a new scope, and trying to decide whether to buy another Mk5, Tango6, or AccuPower.

Since I had all 3, I pulled them all out at twilight to have a look at my neighbors barn 300 yards away, at 20x.

I ended up with another AccuPower, and a couple more since then. Also a Tenmile. I no longer have the Mk5.

Not to muddy the waters, but I'd say add the AccuPower/Tenmile to your list.

^Yes, for me it is 2nd place after the XTR3. FOV is world's apart, whereas the clarity difference is say, 5%? in Trijicon favor, i.e. not big enough to make a difference identifying at distance. Tough to put numbers on it.

I haven't tried an XTR3 yet. I've have a few XTR IIs, and wasn't happy with them.

Everything I've read/heard, leads me to believe the 3s are better in just about every way.

I personally wouldn’t fuss so much about best image because it’s so subjective.
Get a reticle you like and the features you want at the price range of scopes you listed.
Want all the cake and eat it too?
Get a TT or ZCO.

I’ve self spotted a lot further than 2000 yards many many times with a Cronus.
Once you get past PST glass you’ll not be hindered really from the difference in image among the various scopes you listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickentoast