• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Comparing Surgeon, Lawton and Stiller.

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
OK, simple straight forward question.

Looking at the Surgeon RSR, Lawton 400x & 7000, and Stiller Predator & TAC30. Does any one of these actions offer any advantage over another in the list or am I missing anything?

I am looking for an action for my next 308win build and am looking for a little direction and input.

Besides pricing (which seems fairly close)which one would you buy?

Todd

Re: Comparing Surgeon, Lawton and Stiller.

surgeon without a doubt, their attention to detail and tolerances is second to none, I have owned all of the actions mentioned and felt the surgeon was the best

While I only have a Surgon so I cant compare, I do have to agree with adam on the attention to detail and tolerances part.

The RSR will serve you well!

I have a Lawton 7500 which is the competition action and I love it!! the thing is so smooth and locks up like a vault.

Im hoping I can get a 7500 long action magnum soo too.

To throw a turd in the punch bowl, I have a TAC 30 and really like it. I also have a Lawton 7000 and it shoots like a banshee too. Have yet to buy a Surgeon. I do like the lug being milled as one piece like the Surgeons offer, and Lawton has their lug pinned which is a help during the screw 'em back together phase. Just my .02

Surgeon, but I would get the one piece action and not the RSR

comparing those three, the surgeon is far away a better looking and feeling receiver. i have built on all three as well as the BAT clone and you have to put them all in your hands to see what i mean. they will all shoot fine but the surgeon is just a nicer receiver. there is not better bargain than the RSR. the only remington clones that are as good are the surgeon with the integral lug and rail and the BAT VR. as far as having the integral rail and lug are concerned, the lug is double pinned on the RSR and the rail is pinned and uses the larger 8x48 screws. the rail actual snaps in place before you even install the screws. the machining tolerances have to be seen to believe them. i can see where the integral rail could stiffen the receiver some but we arent shooting BR and i can GUARANTEE you can build a rifle on an RSR that will run with the other surgeons.

chuck

It all seems fair enough. I'd like to drop the extra coin on the other Surgeon but I'll be working on a budget so............. The RSR seems to be the "favorite" so far.

Quality and price point are the key factors right now.

Todd

I have a TAC 30 and no complaints, even though it is not the flavor of the month. Haven't even noticed it feeling inferior.

Todd, get the RSR, belive me, when you see how the scope base and recoil lug are double pinned to the receiver, and how tight the fit between them is, you will have NO regrets about going with the RSR over the 1 piece 591 action!

If you're looking to broaden your area of consideration, it would be a good idea to look at offerings from Defiance Machine. I've built on Surgeons and Defiance (formerly Phoenix) and I can say that the differences will be well worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, simple straight forward question.

Looking at the Surgeon RSR, Lawton 400x & 7000, and Stiller Predator & TAC30. </div></div>

For all practical purposes the Predator and Tac 30 are same/same except for the bolt handle. The RSR is also a very solid receiver. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the three receivers. From those receivers, I'd make my selection based on availability. Any of the three will be 100% GTG.

Glen at Defiance is a stand up guy and will bend over backwards to satisfy his clients. As was stated above, another very good choice. That’s who will be manufacturing our Signature Receiver in another week or so.

I was thinking either Surgeon or Defiance. Currently have a Tac 30 and had the 2 piece PT&G bolt handle starting to come off and caused timing issues. The gun wouldn't fire, but as soon as you try to lift the bolt handle, the striker will fall, talk about scary as shit. It's fixed now. Lesson learned, all my future custom actions will have a 1 piece bolt.

None of them ,

If you want a Rem700 type for a Tac build , I would ONLY look at actions that Run the std AW mag , end of story .

Actions that run the std AW mag will be the New Standard .

Which at the moment , is Only Defiance or Precision Shooting Sports Apex VR1 .

I have , and do like the Surgeon , but untill they Offer them modied for AW mags straight from the Factory , they are NOT an option as far as I am concerned .

Later Chris

OK, so here I stand. It appears I forgot to look into the Defiance actions and you guys have so kindly reminded me.

Now a little more information on my part regarding the future of this. It will most likely be set in a McM stock if not an AICS. If it does make it into a McM then I will run a BDL style floorplate (Badge, Williams, PT&G, Sunnyhill, DD Ross) no DM. I'm not against a DM (Badger or who ever) but I just don't really need it. This will not be a running gunning tac comp rig.