• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Compensator suggestion for my AR15?

6.5mmman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Houston
I bought an M&P15 VTAC rifle recently, and I love everything about the rifle except the muzzle jump. I want to use it for three gun comp, but the muzzle jump is bad. What compensator should I get and how do I install it?

Re: Compensator suggestion for my AR15?

Try a Battlecomp, it should thread on where your current brake/flashhider is.Unless your current barrel is not threaded, then any competant 'smith could do it for you.

If you're not going to go prone then I'd say try out the SJC Titan. I've never shot with one on my AR before but I've seen a lot of videos on youtube from a lot of different angles and there's absolutely no muzzle rise whatsoever. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Battlecomp though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Line</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for the Battle Comp. I have one and I love it! Everyone who has shot my carbine has fallen in love with it. </div></div>
Have you tried shooting prone with the Battlecomp in the dirt? And if you have, does it kick up alot of dirt like other comp/brakes do?

For 5.56/223 I suggest the PWS FSC556. I had one on my 16 that I sold and currently have on my 11.5 SBR. It's a phenomenal little unit.

I use a comp made by Benny Hill for three gun. It can be purchased at Brownells. It's a simple design, but it works. Next time you see Daniel Horner at a match look at what's on his rifle.

I 2nd the Miculek comp. It is legal for competition, works great, and is relatively cheap. My competition AR weighs about 10 lbs, and with the brake, it is like shooting a rimfire. I can't see spending more for something that will not work any better.
-Dan

Pigman, most of my prone shooting is in an area where there is crushed asphalt. The little I did where there was dirt, it was compacted down. I did not have any issues with it. I wish I could give you more info than that.

The guy who owns the property built our department this range and next year will black top it. Gotta love it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I know Jerry, his comps were what I ran for years. Unbeatable value, great looking also and they look great in .30 cal also!
</span>
I am, now, however.. <span style="font-weight: bold">totally </span>AMAZED by the Miller Precision Arms Hammerhead.
http://www.millerprecisionarms.com/html/products.html

I seriously doubt you would believe me if I told you how good it was... so I wont. Here are some close-ups.

262170_2089965007018_1182005218_2417199_4103308_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...9_4103308_n.jpg

264017_171289359602217_144682212262932_475722_4863642_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...2_4863642_n.jpg

260483_2089963886990_1182005218_2417197_8163526_n.jpg
https://s-hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/260483_2089963886990_1182005218_2417197_8163526_n.jpg

264155_2082877949846_1182005218_2408275_8370651_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...5_8370651_n.jpg

254252_2082874469759_1182005218_2408259_7408416_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...9_7408416_n.jpg

392921_251521678235693_110064932381369_619905_800603931_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hph...800603931_n.jpg

I'll give you a hit as to why it works so well, it was designed using fluid dynamic principles and nozzel flow for the Navy.

<span style="color: #660000">Look for a full write-up/comparison with this and other main contenders when we can coordinate it on tacticalgunreview.com.
As it turns out, this is no easy task. </span>

Go with a King Armory Brake you can pick them up off GB and they help tremendously with muzzle jump and are priced right also.

We make the M4-SD Tactical compensator. It will kill muzzle rise, and reduce recoil and dust signatures, without increasing blast to shooters adjacent you on the line.

The M4-SD Comp also is compatible with several sound suppressors on the market.

griffincomp2.jpg

+1 for the Primary Weapons Systems PWS FSC556. The PWS FSC30 is every bit as good if you're using it on a .30 cal.

Another vote for the Miculek. Works great and it's only $35.

I've tried (and own) the PWS FSC556, Surefire MB556, and I can tell you they both reside now in my safe. I'm currently running the Miculek comp on both of my 18 inch competition uppers. One came on my DPMS 3G1 and I purchased another one from cheaper than dirt for thirty bucks. I'd say it's by far the best bang for the buck, hard to believe something so cheap would work so well. I'm also running the Spike Tactical T2 buffer, since I'm not running JP's LMOS. Not sure what length gas system you’re running, but with that combination, it will even improve a carbine length gas system, as long as you don’t mind the noise.

Don’t mean to jack your thread, but is anyone running a Dreadnaught F2? I’ve heard good things, but hate to throw money away again.

Best I have used is the SJC Titan....hands down. It is also the loudest though. I recommend Battle Comps and Griffins to all my students. They do a good job without killing your neighbor.

I have a Battle comp 2.0 and a PWS FSC556. Both work great.

Im looking at battle comp 1.0. with that an a heavier buffer and spring, i should be GTG for less recoil and muzzle jump yeah?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best I have used is the SJC Titan....hands down. It is also the loudest though. I recommend Battle Comps and Griffins to all my students. They do a good job without killing your neighbor. </div></div>

I shot the Miller Precision HammerHead next to a SJC Titan, it's better. I'm trying to align a scientific text w/slow-motion video, remote trigger actuation, and accelerometors; but I can assure you this is no easy task.

I doubt its better than the SJC Titan, which is very soft and flat. But visually it is a good copy, which they say is a form of flattery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt its better than the SJC Titan, which is very soft and flat. But visually it is a good copy, which they say is a form of flattery.</div></div>

It's not a copy, but they look similar. The SJC had the right idea however, but as it turns on the 2 ports work better than the 3. The shape of the bowls are like negative molds of an egg. They arent just bowls, or nozzles.

The SJC was the target they were aiming for.

I was at a class where new students where given the rifle they all pushed it forward in rapid fire, becuase they were so used to adapting to the recoil.. this has practically none.

I'd love to have them all on the same rifle and do a test for Brandon Miller, he really knocked one out of the park here.

Miculek, can't be beat for the funds. It is also tuneable without breaking the bank. Alot depends on what level of competition you are shooting, your skill level!

I'm liking the videos I'm seeing of the SJC Titan. It looks like it works awesome. Is it really that great? I don't mind the noise at all.

I'm hoping to post a slow-mo vid of the SJC Titan and MPA Hammerhead side-by-side, with an accelerometer and remote trigger actuation system... but like I said, this isnt something easy to do.